Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2022, 05:22 PM   #1

Is there a cure for "boonstripes?"

Yes, boondocking is lots of fun. But out West, many of those forest roads are very narrow and lined with nasty thorn bushes. My poor truck is covered in boondocker's pinstripes (boonstripes??) from front to back, and it looks terrible:

Click For Full-Size Image.

Worse yet, I don't live out in the boonies, where a scratched-up truck is normal. I live in suburban coastal Southern California, where everyone else's car is lovingly polished. So my truck looks even shabbier by comparison.

There is no point in getting the truck repainted -- we drag that truck through the stickers several times a year.

So that's my question -- how do you handle this issue? (Other than putting up a big sign that says "please excuse my truck -- it was attacked by a mountain lion.")
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2022, 05:43 PM   #2

Well there are 'street queens' and then those that use their trucks

I wouldn't loose sleep over the street queens and their ilk
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:48 PM   #3

Only thing I've found that works:https://www.amazon.com/TORQX-Random-Orbital-Polisher-Items/dp/B01BKT63XM/ref=sr_1_7?crid=HQ2E8XXUXCTC&keywords=porter+cable +buffer+polisher&qid=1656719251&sprefix=porter+cab le+buffer%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-7

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:53 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Badge of Honor!

Having said that, I try to avoid them myself ��
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 03:22 AM   #5

Bobby, I've never heard of that product before -- thanks for the tip!!
Old 07-02-2022, 11:45 AM   #6

Check out some of the Chemical Guys vids on Youtube for polishing/buffing. I've made some oxidized and scratched vehicles look quite nice, and it's easy. Starting on the RV today.

Old 07-02-2022, 12:14 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
There must be some sort of decal you can put on before you venture into the scratch zones. I haven't seen one, but just thinking out loud. People wrap their vehicles with advertising all the time, so there could be some removable protective wrap available? It won't fix what damage has already been done, but could stop it from getting worse.
The Ward Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:17 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are any number of polishing compounds available with just a short google search.
keep in mind you have already scratched through the clear coat and into the paint color. That does remove the surface coverings and unless it's repainted nothing will completely fix it. You can however polish and or smooth down the scratches and reduce the bad look to something much, much better. It will never be back to the stock look.

The little kit pictured above is just what you need. If you need to do your entire sides the kit won't have enough compound to do it all. So you can buy your own buffing compounds and an electric buffing machine to do the work. The kit will contain several different polishing compounds that one would use in a step by step process to smooth what's been scratched in gradually to a somewhat better looking finish. Each container is giving you different grit polishing compounds. Each grit is smaller than the previous to gradually take you down to a smoother surface. Done this many, many, many times.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:18 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Diamond Plate ???
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:37 PM   #10

Get a white truck. After it’s washed, you can’t really notice the paint scratches. If I look real close, I can see them, but nobody looks that close, do they?
Old 07-02-2022, 02:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
The little kit pictured above is just what you need.
I threw that pic in as an exemplar mostly. I use the Porter Cable version. I'd only add to your good explanation that the pads come color-coded, too, signifying how aggressive their action can be. They've made it all non-painter friendly!

Old 07-02-2022, 04:46 PM   #12

Personally, I wouldn't worry about spending the time and money on it if you're just going to take it to the same types of places again. We had 'pinstripes' on our Jeep - as did every other 4x4 on the trails. You just can't avoid it. The Jeep sold just fine to a person who also was planning to take it out on the trails.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:41 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I know there is magnetic "armor" panels that might solve your problem. I had them for my Wrangle and they worked great. I don't know if the are made for other vehicles but a google search might find them for you. My panels were made by Smittybilt. If I remember they were around $350.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:56 PM   #14

Those are Colorado pinstripes. The goal is to have as many as possible.