Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2011, 10:54 PM   #1

LED interior lighting?

Well, I've about got the solar thing buttoned up. Next on the list would be more energy efficient lighting.

Currently the rig has mostly those rectangular 2 bulb jobs with the slide switch in the middle.

Has anyone installed lights of the new generation LED type, and if so what would you recommend?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2011, 12:07 AM   #2

You might want to check out this forum as they were talking somewhat about LED lighting before getting put back on track http://www.irv2.com/forums/f93/power...12v-80292.html.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:07 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Check out this forum elsewhere and follow the links to suppliers.
LED lighting adventures. - Alberni.ca Forums
I will be building what you see in post #7 but in two parts or half size. One for each side of my light sconces.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:30 AM   #4
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinTD View Post
Well, I've about got the solar thing buttoned up. Next on the list would be more energy efficient lighting.

Currently the rig has mostly those rectangular 2 bulb jobs with the slide switch in the middle.

Has anyone installed lights of the new generation LED type, and if so what would you recommend?

There is a current discussion here also.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/new-...tml#post781714
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:39 AM   #5

Thanks. I searched this forum for LED's but didn't get much. I know the latest generation of LED's are both much more efficient, and brighter (forget what they are called) but I don't know how they really perform in RV fixtures.

I was kind of eyeballing something like this.

LED Ceiling Lights

but I can't find anything that shows their lumen rating or candlepower, or watts or amps consumed.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinTD View Post
Thanks. I searched this forum for LED's but didn't get much. I know the latest generation of LED's are both much more efficient, and brighter (forget what they are called) but I don't know how they really perform in RV fixtures.

I was kind of eyeballing something like this.

LED Ceiling Lights

but I can't find anything that shows their lumen rating or candlepower, or watts or amps consumed.
I purchased some LED bulbs from this company for my last camper. Super Bright LEDs - Boat, RV and Other LED Bulbs I bought the ones that replace the old bulbs in the same holder with the LED on a small board. They fit in the original fixture with a little two sided tape. I found them to be a bit dimmer but otherwise acceptable. I could leave the bathroom light on all night with little draw from the batteries and never worried about the lights draining my battery during dry camping.
Greg Lepage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #7

Thanks. I was looking at those for the more decorative fixtures.

I saw they make replacement lenses for the typical rectangular two bulb ceiling fixture with the slider switch, too, but I think may as well replace the entire fixture.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had good success with

LED Trailer Lights

The RV Solution

RV LED Bulb
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #9

We have replaced most of the light bulbs in our 34' 5th wheel with LED's. I measured the difference in elec. usage before and after the conversion. Our usage dropped to 1/8th of what it had been for lights. Still can not justify the cost but the decrease in battery usage was what we were after.

We purchased our bulbs in Yuma at the big tent there. We did check prices on-line and at Quartzsite. Yuma was the cheapest but their bulbs are no-name so I can't tell you the brand. Proably made in China. The 32 puck light was $15 and the vanity's were $20. We received a discount because we spent about $200. We also purchased 2 bulbs for inserts but they are not very bright.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #10

With a good solar system, why are you trying to save a little power. You should have plenty to power your present lighting. I do.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought these Revolution 200 LED - Star Lights, Inc. but in the 250 Natural Light model and am very happy with them. I am using them in the same type of fixture that you describe. I also bought 2 of the flat sheet LED's with the bayonet fitting on them that I am using in 2 of my fixtures and am also very happy with them. I don't know the manufacturer of them but the look like these Super Bright LEDs - Boat, RV and Other LED Bulbs

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #12

Good to see so many folks interested in LED upgrades

In my opinion LED's are the future the compact florescent has way too many issues with hazardous materials. I do not believe it will be long before our government gets in our way again and outlaws the incandescent bulbs altogether.

In addition to the power savings LED's offer several advantages including
the color of the light which is much nicer than the yellow from a standard incandescent bulb. Even better the complete absence of heat from the LED bulb was the major reason I replaced every incandescent bulb inside the rV, even the one in the refrigerator.
KJINTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:13 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Hmmm, somehow mistakenly I posted this in the Damon section.

WheelingIt mentioned LEDWholesalers.com over in the Class A Motorhome Discussions section. I bought directly from them and also through Amazon.com, with some of the best pricing I've seen. And to add to it, I also purchased the side pin G4 puck lights from 12vledlights.com. These fit the fixture better, and, in side by side comparison, I was hard pressed to see the any difference in light output. These G4 puck lights were even less than LEDWholesalers.com, but they don't have as many choices for other lights.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #14

Ebay is the place to shop for LED's. I ended up paying about $5.00 each for standard 1156 bulbs. I replaced most of the lights inside and the porch light.
I left the specialty bulbs and the flourscent bulbs alone.

The savings on Power usage are not alot unless you want to leave lights on all night long, but it does add considerably to controling my electric power OCD.

What we really need is a inexpensive portable cold fusion generator. This would produce electricity, gas and water.