Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-27-2020, 12:47 PM   #1

Question Lets talk about GC2 6V (golf cart) battery's

I am wanting to build a 4 pack set of GC2 battery's. The lithium ions are out of my price range with having to get a new charger and upgrading a lot of stuff. We do travel in the cold too (sub zero at times), so cold weather charging is an issue unless they are heated. Not a deal killer though.

My current dual 12V are starting to show signs of age (interstate deep cycle made in 2017) Its taking longer to charge to 100%

Now it used to be Trojan GC2 6V were the good standard. They have three models T105, T125, and T145 also available in their Plus system . I am looking at the 145 series. I am not sure what the plus system means - caps look different and something about embedded terminals. In the pictures they pretty much look the same.

My local dealer has stopped carrying them due to service and price. His distribute went out of business due to the higher price (not covid). He recommends the DEKA GC15 or GC45. I also see US Battery mentioned in other threads US 145 XC2 along with Interstate 2400 series.

So if I may ask, what brand and model 6V GC2 battery's are you using?
Thanks
Happy New Year
YODA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2020, 01:20 PM   #2

Golf cart batteries are so ubiquitous and there is lots of competition, so you never find a bad manufacturer in that market. Yes Trojan is the gold standard, but Deka and others are probably 90% as good. If you are a Costco or Sam's club member, check their prices. Also stop by a large golf cart dealer/service center. I bought four many years from one for a good price and they worked out fine.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #3

I switched to AGM 6V GC by Duracell / East Penn.
$179 Ea at Sams Club.
FLA Duracells from Sams Club are about half that at $90. Hard to beat if you compare &/AH /cycle basis.
Trojans and others claimed to be "better" but at 1.5-2X $ I doubt anyone could breakeven or come out ahead.
No interest in Duracell / East Penn other than a satisfied customer for many years / battys.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:58 PM   #4

I install off grid solar system for a living. I've installed hundreds of batteries over the years for my customers. The vast majority have been Deka batteries and I've had very good results with them. I'm not sure specifically how many of what type Deka GC I've installed but there have been some. I've also used Crown and US Battery GCs. The US battery didn't last as long as they should have.
Trojans are great batteries but I don't think they're enough better to justify the increased price.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:32 PM   #5

Your going from 2, 12 volt batteries to 4, GC2, 6 volt batteties.

You are probable almost tripling your battery capacity with the 4, low priced big box store, 205 AH GC2s. Spend more and get more AH.

Have you done an energy audit to see how much capacity you actually need.

Adding capacity, and using it, means longer recharge times or higher output charger.

You need to figure all of that in.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:46 PM   #6

I installed 4 US battery XC 250 6 volt sweeper batteries. Wound up with 560 AH at 1/4 the price of Lithium. Batteries were manufactured in Corona Ca.
No chinese or imported junk for me. Hope this helps
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:07 PM   #7

I'm a pretty big fan of the Deka batteries made my Eastern Penn. They are sold at Batteries Plus Bulbs as Duracell. Batt's Plus sells a 235 AH 6v GC battery that is the same size(i guess I should say, it fits where the lower AH battery did on my rig) as the lower AH 6v's for $149.00 each. Pretty stout battery for that cost
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
I installed 4 US battery XC 250 6 volt sweeper batteries. Wound up with 560 AH at 1/4 the price of Lithium. Batteries were manufactured in Corona Ca.
No chinese or imported junk for me. Hope this helps
It's always good to make this statement " No chinese or imported junk for me", Is this just with batteries or everything you purchase in your day to day purchases?
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 12:44 AM   #9

I used the US batterie HC 275 6volts as they have the same footprint as the T105s but are slightly taller and heavier though not nearly as big as L 16s. End result was more than satisfactory , essentially 2 full days off grid with no Gen use. As to my comment regarding import and chinese Junk, Ill state it this way In my profession I sell and Install Thousands of parts including Batteries every year. I See what lasts and what fails !
Thats why im very selective about what goes on my Coach
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:05 AM   #10

I’ll tag along here as I’m looking at buying two to start with come spring or when a good deal pops up prior to.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:08 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Hello,
I'm looking for information... I changed our batteries about 4 weeks ago. The shop I took the motorhome to had the Deka GC15s. Since the rig has been sitting I thought it would be wise to put them on a charger. I turned my magnum inverter off as well as the battery on off switch. The charger connected to the battery bank is a Schumacher 3 stage speed charger. It charges/maintains at a rate of 2amps. I did not disconnect any of the battery cables. The inverter currently says that the batteries have a charge of 13.1v. However, the battery charger says the batteries are 86% charged and has not gone into the maintenance mode. My questions are:
1. Should the Magnum inverter/charger be on or off?
2. Should I disconnect the negative cable on my battery or is it ok to leave it connected?
3. How many volts should this battery bank have to be considered fully charged?
4. Should I leave the charger on the batteries or not? if not, what should the voltage be prior to removing the charger?
I really just want to be sure I maintain these batteries so I can get more than a couple of years of useful life out of them. Any help you could offer would be appreciated.
hitlinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:41 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Why not just use your Magnum Inverter/Charger? Turn the inverter off, save a few amps. If you only have 15/20 amp shore power, set shore power setting to 5amps on the Magnum controller.

It will go from bulk to absorb to float as needed.
Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:59 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitlinks View Post
Hello,
I'm looking for information... I changed our batteries about 4 weeks ago. The shop I took the motorhome to had the Deka GC15s. Since the rig has been sitting I thought it would be wise to put them on a charger. I turned my magnum inverter off as well as the battery on off switch. The charger connected to the battery bank is a Schumacher 3 stage speed charger. It charges/maintains at a rate of 2amps. I did not disconnect any of the battery cables. The inverter currently says that the batteries have a charge of 13.1v. However, the battery charger says the batteries are 86% charged and has not gone into the maintenance mode. My questions are:
1. Should the Magnum inverter/charger be on or off?
2. Should I disconnect the negative cable on my battery or is it ok to leave it connected?
3. How many volts should this battery bank have to be considered fully charged?
4. Should I leave the charger on the batteries or not? if not, what should the voltage be prior to removing the charger?
I really just want to be sure I maintain these batteries so I can get more than a couple of years of useful life out of them. Any help you could offer would be appreciated.
1. Yes, the Magnum charger should be on.

2. Leave the negative battery cable connected. If it is disconnected you will not get any charging.

3. The battery bank should be about 14.5v for at least a few hours to be close to full charge, and have completed the Bulk/Absorb/Float charge cycle. With the battery bank at rest for an hour the voltage should read 12.7v. The Magnum will look after it all automatically IF set up and programmed properly.

4. Disconnect that 2 amp charger, it is basically useless on a descent sized house battery bank.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:12 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the help on this everyone. I think I cooked my last set of batteries due to lack of knowledge. This set will be kept healthy and give me several good years of use now that I know more about how to maintain them.
hitlinks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery