Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2020, 10:58 PM   #71

Yeah, the only rv that could possibly get there would be a small 4WD truck camper, and it would be very un-level. A better site would be the flatter area just below the ATV near the center of the photo.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2020, 08:42 AM   #72

Nor'easters Club
"On the Other Hand"

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdan View Post
Gosh, 60 miles from home!! Living in coastal Southern California, I have to drive for many hours (much of it through bad traffic) to find really isolated boondocking.

On the other hand, the beaches of Orange County are just a few minutes away -- we surf in the mornings, all year long. (Not every morning -- maybe once a week??)

On the third hand, the waves are so crowded (millions of people within easy driving distance) that it is often difficult to get a wave. That sounds like I am exaggerating, but I am not.

Years ago, I knew a guy who grew up in Orange County before World War II -- he said that folks used to camp out on the beaches, wherever they wanted to -- and that there were even primitive home-made truck campers boondocking right on the beach. Those days are long gone.
Early 1970's, my wife and I flew out to Southern California during the winter to get away from the New England cold/snow and visit her family.
Her cousin blew my mind when he announced his weekend plans:
Saturday skiing (snow) & Sunday surfing.
Closest I ever came to not returning home from a trip
rosebud1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:56 AM   #73

The only thing better than surfing Saturday and skiing Sunday is doing the same thing during the work-week -- cuts down on the crowds!!

And the next best thing is surfing during the winter and seeing the snowy mountains while you wait for the next wave. Meantime, the off-shore wind blows the crests of the breaking waves back out to sea, causing huge bright rainbows that travel along the shore as each wave breaks. Then (for a triple treat) a pod of dolphins will come swimming by, jumping through the waves and surfing alongside of us.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that a little house costs a million dollars.
profdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:46 PM   #74

Western Utah a couple weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200208-082707.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	275167  
Live 2 Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:43 PM   #75

Beautiful!! If I concentrate on your photo, I can hear the wind through the sagebrush.

How cold did it get at night out there??
Old 02-16-2020, 11:40 PM   #76

Quote:
Beautiful!! If I concentrate on your photo, I can hear the wind through the sagebrush.

How cold did it get at night out there??
IIRC, it dipped into the 20's. We had some strong wind gusts several times during the night with dead calm between them. Was a bit strange.
Live 2 Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:18 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live 2 Camp View Post
Western Utah a couple weeks ago.

Fantastic!!

That's my kind of camping.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:01 PM   #78

This was taken on a cold and windy morning in early March of 2020 -- Mono Lake is in the background. The trailer is just to the left of the center of the shot:

Click For Full-Size Image.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:48 PM   #79

Quote:
This was taken on a cold and windy morning in early March of 2020 -- Mono Lake is in the background. The trailer is just to the left of the center of the shot:

Click For Full-Size Image.
Beautiful Dan!!

That's the way to do it.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:22 AM   #80

Nice boondocking spot, Dan. This thread's boondocking sites sure make it easy to maintain recommended social distancing in these strange and trying times.

Good fortune to everybody out there, we'll get through this, hopefully sooner than later.

Here is one of my favorite photos I have posted elsewhere on iRV2. It's at an actual campsite, but no hookups. Does that qualify as boondocking for this thread? Vedauwoo State Park in Wyoming:
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-20-2020, 12:13 PM   #81

This is my shangrila boondocking spot, way up a logging road on Vancouver Island. A little rough on my little Class C but camped right on the shore, waking up to whales, and catching salmon from shore.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CD503165-8317-451D-8EBE-4B488BB38295_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	278541  
Old 03-20-2020, 06:10 PM   #82

Yes, Jeff, that qualifies -- great shot!

And that spot on Vancouver is amazing -- camping right on the shore?? A very rare site.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:45 PM   #83

Little RV in a Big Landscape

Quote:
Yes, Jeff, that qualifies -- great shot!

And that spot on Vancouver is amazing -- camping right on the shore?? A very rare site.

Watching for whales from our spot, amazing. But it is pretty rough. My friend took this picture where the whales come in while we’re fishing.

.Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	332.0 KB
ID:	278565

Name:	IMG_1852.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	278566
Old 03-20-2020, 09:29 PM   #84

Oh. That's an orca.

Yikes.

Is that photo for real or has it been Photoshopped?

And how shallow can an orca go?

And do all of those fishermen have paid-up life insurance?

Wow!!!