Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2019, 04:48 PM   #1

Little RV in a Big Landscape

Whenever we boondock, I take a wide-angle photo, hoping to capture the isolation, privacy, and silence. I call these my “little RV in a big landscape” shots. I bet other folks have done the same thing – I am looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Anyway, I will start this off with three of my favorites. This is the Goosenecks, in Southern Utah:

Click For Full-Size Image.

This is in the Boulder Mountains of Idaho, north of Ketchum:

And this is north of Bishop, California:

It’s your turn! (And no, you don’t have to give the precise location.)
profdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2019, 04:59 PM   #2

Love boondocking!!! Thanks.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:18 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Beautiful Picture and wonderful Post. Did I notice your RV in all three posts? We do enjoy may areas in Utah. It may be too cold and snow now. But Mirror Lake is a nice scenic drive coming out of Park City to WY. Thanks for sharing your Pictures.

van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:55 PM   #4

Yep, that is my RV in all three photos. In the middle photo, the trailer is the little white dot exactly in the middle of the shot.

And there is some great camping up on the Mirror Lake Highway in the Uintas. We had never camped at ten thousand feet before -- we were worried that our water heater and fridge would not work, due to lack of oxygen. So before we pulled off the pavement onto the forest road network, we pulled over and fired 'em up -- success!! And off we went.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:34 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Divingbiker Send a message via Yahoo to Divingbiker
Beautiful

Profdan,
You set the bar high with these beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing them.
Divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:10 AM   #6

Diving, there is no bar -- just post what you've got!

And full disclosure -- those are the best three out of dozens of mediocre shots. Statistically, I have found that if I take enough photos, a few of them will be decent, just by luck.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Beautiful!
rosebud1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:53 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Pioneer Scenic ByWay Montana:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3396.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	266023  
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #9

I see you like the same landscapes as I like. Friggin amazing. I am trying to get my sister and brother in law to sell their house when they retire and buy their own RV. They wanted to move from CA to ID when retiring, but I told them there is so much more out there and the way things are going they will have every comfort they would have had in a static home if they traveled!

But you are doing exactly what I will be doing. I am not going back to WA/OR/CA when I leave. I am done with those cruddy states, but I will spend most of my time in ID/NV/AZ/CO/MT/UT/WY/NM. I think that will be enough. I migh thave to go back to CA though in the beginning because I will need to use my sisters address for registration and insurance.
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #10

Saw the photo from Bishop. That's what I will miss the most if not coming back to CA when I go full time. I loved the central mountains. Mammoth Lakes, Bishop ect.. I also LOVE Markleeville (about 120 miles north of bishop kinda near lake Tahoe). Markleeville has an awesome river running through and great fly fishing there. I used to go to Mammoth Mountain every year when I raced Mountain Bikes. Love that place too.
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #11

Tuquala, great shot!! Where is that? (Roughly, not exactly.) I'm guessing somewhere near the North Cascades??
Old 11-06-2019, 04:24 PM   #12
EJW

Wow! Just, wow! Those are amazing pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Out of curiosity - what kind of camera do you use?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:43 PM   #13

EJW, I can't speak for the other folks who have posted photos, but I use an older Canon "entry level" DSLR. Nothing fancy.

But I cheat, in a couple of ways. First, many of my shots are taken in the late afternoon or early morning, preferably in early spring or late autumn. The light is slanting, and the colors are warm. It's like shooting fish in a barrel -- it is hard to miss.

Second, I use Lightroom, a very basic version of Photoshop, in order to correct the lighting and color. The goal is to make the shot look exactly as it did in real life. You have seen, I am sure, photos that are tweaked so hard that they look unnatural -- real estate advertisements are infamous for this. Too much color, too much contrast.

My goal is to avoid that -- to make sure the picture looks the way it really did when it was taken.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdan View Post
Whenever we boondock, I take a wide-angle photo, hoping to capture the isolation, privacy, and silence. I call these my “little RV in a big landscape” shots. I bet other folks have done the same thing – I am looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Anyway, I will start this off with three of my favorites. This is the Goosenecks, in Southern Utah:

This is in the Boulder Mountains of Idaho, north of Ketchum:

And this is north of Bishop, California:

It’s your turn! (And no, you don’t have to give the precise location.)

Great photos and adventure!

I curious ... are you this "Dan"?
https://forums.motorhome.com/index.c...e/mid/16528723
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote