Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2021, 06:17 AM   #1

Making a pump portable

I'm looking for suggestions on a clean way to mount a small pump in a hand-carry-convenient manner.

I have two basic applications for using the pump.

1. Carry it to an open water source and use it to fill a 5G container.
2a. Carry it to the side of my RV, connect it to the city fill inlet and use it to pump the 5G into my fresh water tank if the water is suitable
2b. If I don't want the water in my fresh tank, use the pump to dispense the water directly from the 5G container as I use it

I have a CampLux pump, I got a full kit that has 12V connectors and water hoses. I can do all of the above with what I have. As-is, the kit is an awkward collection of loose parts that is not easy to use. I use a small Lithium batter to power the pump, fyi. The battery is roughly the same size as the pump, I guess, not too big.

Approaches that occur to me -

1. Mount the pump on a small piece of plywood, fashion a cover out of part of a plastic box, attach a handle to the top of the cover and use latches to hold the cover in place over the pump as a carry-box.

2. Mount the pump inside a small plastic tool box and use that to carry it around.

3. Cut a short section of PVC in half and make a sort of clam-shell container out of that with some hinges and attach a handle to the top side, mount the pump inside (not sure this offers any advantage over using a toolbox and seems more complicated, might make for a smaller overall package)

Any suggestions? Option 1 seems the simplest but options 2 and 3 give me some sidewall to maybe mount 12V input / water in/out ports on to further simplify set up and tear down.
MarkSaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2021, 06:40 AM   #2

Option 2 is exactly what I did for mine. I put a small 12 volt water pump in a small plastic toolbox and then used a small piece of 1” wood on the outside to screw the pump to and give it more stability. I keep about 30’ of 3/8” water line in the toolbox along with 10’ of electrical cord connected to the pump. It works out beautifully, and everything is contained in the box when not needed.
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:06 AM   #3

I have used one of these, but not for water and it works great!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...-Pumps/2771-20
2Curtass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:44 AM   #4

I put the pump into a project box and drilled out holes for the hose connections - easy enough and the setup / teardown is much more practical now.

The Milwaukee looks like a great stand-alone solution - for my application its more than I want to be carrying around, thanks for the link, though.
MarkSaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:03 AM   #5

I have a couple of these that I use to fuel up my generator, chain saws, mower, etc. but I have never used one to transfer water from a source to a container and vice versa. It may or may not work, if it does you hit the jackpot.
I bought my pumps locally at a lower price.

https://www.amazon.com/TERA-PUMP-Ove...3355287&sr=8-5

Tags
pump