Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2007, 08:13 PM   #1

Ok, Thanks to your good advice I got a Honda eu2000 generator. (Nice little bugger!)

However, our microwave needs 1500 watts, Honda sez the generator gives up 1600 watts regular running. The microwave is just barely able to run on the generator. I am assuming our converter is also sending juice to recharge the batteries and thus the microwave is short changed.

I don't see any way to turn off the converter's battery charger - other than disconnecting the battery's ground. Any suggestions will be sincerely appreciated!

(Maybe we shouldn't have a microwave?)

Thanks!!!
BobCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2007, 08:13 PM   #2

Ok, Thanks to your good advice I got a Honda eu2000 generator. (Nice little bugger!)

However, our microwave needs 1500 watts, Honda sez the generator gives up 1600 watts regular running. The microwave is just barely able to run on the generator. I am assuming our converter is also sending juice to recharge the batteries and thus the microwave is short changed.

I don't see any way to turn off the converter's battery charger - other than disconnecting the battery's ground. Any suggestions will be sincerely appreciated!

Thanks!!!
BobCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:42 AM   #3

If the converter is easily accessible, just un plug it while running the microwave. Mine is located under drawers in the bedroom in my Bounder. When I added solar and an inverter I just unplugged it, that takes it out of the picture. Another option is to find out which breaker feeds it and shut it off each time you use the microwave.

Good luck.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:31 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
There may be other loads as well that are adding to the total load like the phantom loads for the TV/VCR and/or possible sat. receiver, etc. We put these loads on a power strip so we can turn them totally off on demand.
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:16 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
One option which is frequently talked of is to add in a new on/off switch somewhere convenient, one with a little red light that comes on when the switch is on to tell you that the converter is operating. Simply add a new outlet to the circuit that the converter plugs into or re-route the romex to the switch first so that you can turn on/off the converter as needed. Another thing, if you fridge is on auto mode, it will switch to 110 if the generator is running, so the best idea is to lock it out to propane mode so that it doesn't add load as well.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #6

If you are going to mess around, why not run a special line or chord straight to the microwave.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:45 PM   #7

Dont forget the electric element on the refer and W/H Most are set to "auto" and will switch over as soon as they see 120VAC.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:14 AM   #8

This is why we have TWO generators, paralleled together.
Microwave struggles if trying to use one; but is fine with the two.
I still turn off the a/c while running the microwave though as your can hear the load on the generators if you try to run both at the same time.
Jo
Jody & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:20 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BobCaesar:

Thanks!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This also depends on the microwave. I have a big electronic microwave that has fits on ANY generator.

It seems that the little "Cheap" microwaves with the mechanical times (such as Galanz and Sunbeam) work far better with a gen-set

Andy Taylor
Andrew Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote