Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2019, 11:39 PM   #1

MO/AR Boondocking, Need Help!

I was wondering if any has been boondocking in Missouri or Arkansas? We need some cool spots. We really like being near creeks and rivers.

We moved back to Kansas City from Utah 2 years ago and we were always miles from people on BLM & National Forest land in UT. The Midwest SUCKS for boondocking. It’s hard to find spots. Every time I ask someone around here, they always mention a lake, campground or some populated area we don’t want to be. They don’t get the joy of boondocking and being away from everyone and being completely by yourself. The wife, kids, dogs and I are dying for some solitude. I hope somebody can help. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4559.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	437.8 KB
ID:	240432Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0570.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	575.0 KB
ID:	240435
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #2

It's not boondocking but have you considered national forest campgrounds? Boondocking is a lot easier in the West, for sure. We love it. However, there are some very nice NF campgrounds out there on lakes and rivers. Also look into the Corp of Engineer campgrounds. Some of them you can get back in the boonies. This is what we used for national forest camping.

https://www.forestcamping.com/dow/pictures/pictures.htm
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:12 AM   #3

It is not as isolated as some of those western lands, but there used to be some free camping areas around Milford Lake in Kansas, I believe it was close to the West Rolling Hills campground, it has been a few years since I've been there. Good Luck and enjoy!
Old 04-29-2019, 05:51 PM   #4

Most of KS is private land. Perhaps government owned land will work. John Redmond Lake which extends from New Strawn to Hartford comes to mind. This is a flood control lake and when the water is down it might provide some Boondocking. There is a road going East out of Hartford that might work. Take a car trip and check it out. There are several flood control lakes in KS. You might also look into rails to trails routes. Some of them are Beautiful and lengthy. There's one over by Admire or Allen I have biked. Good Luck!!
Old 04-29-2019, 10:50 PM   #5

I think he wanted something in Missouri or Arkansas; not Kansas.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:38 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
There used to be some boondock camping in the Oachita (pronounced Washita) National Forest in western Arkansas. I would recommend calling the main office and asking them for recommendations. The area is gorgeous. You won’t find lake camping, but there might be some streamside available. Note that you will never find boondocking in the Midwest like you had in Utah. There are more people, more farm and ranch lands, and a lot less federal land.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:44 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a smaller TT there are some beautiful places around Lake Winona area in the Ouachita National Forest.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
i think he wanted something in missouri or arkansas; not kansas.

well excuse me !!!!!!

Tags
boondocking, need help