Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Sorry man, I kinda have to agree with the others. Pretty dry in the interest dept.

boring huh? So far I've had the cops called on me 4x in the last month. I have a crazy girlfriend that's stalking me. lol
BBoondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBoondocker View Post
.... a real solar panel array and battery bank. I'm researching this though.
While researching, don't overlook Handybob's blog. He lays the solar thing out there and cuts through the marketing BS. He has nothing to sell, and tells you how to do it right while not overkilling (overspending) it.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

OK folks, let's keep our feedback objective and not personal please.

Welcome to the forum BBoondocker. We're glad you found us.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBoondocker View Post
I greatly appreciate this feedback; thanks. I usually buy a $2 drip coffee and get free refills, but yes, there is a cost associated with recharging the batteries. What is your suggestion? -- I was kind of thrown into this urban boondocking lifestyle without adequate funds to invest in a real solar panel array and battery bank. I'm researching this though.

I just thought this would be a place to reach out to other boondockers for feedback just like you've given.

I understand that while the stuff I say is important to MY life, it's regarded as 'drivel' by the masses. I'm just starting out. Perhaps I can improve the quality of the videos with time. Suggestions for video topics are appreciated, as well as constructive feedback. (but who am I kidding, this is youtube after all)
You want my suggestion? You bought the solar panels from Harbor Freight (although you mentioned taking them back). Use them like this and you will still be mobile. And, they should provide you with the power for all your electronics, if you are careful not to overuse them. You might even get an hour or two of TV watching each day, without the need to run the genny. I know they don't provide a lot of power (I use them, so I know what they can do), but they are a very cheap way to dip your toes into solar.

As far as the video topics: you're on the right track, try to be real about the ups and downs of the lifestyle, give some DIY advice on the things you do (a video on the solar build linked would be useful to many...), offer beginners tips that you learn or are told by other urban boondockers. You'll figure out soon enough what others are interested in, and (as is evident from some of the feedback here) what others don't care for. I'd hope that others who post (or have posted already) will give constructive feedback, as well.
DrivinMyHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #19

Great links Ramblin and DrivinMyHome! This is EXACTLY what I needed and I knew you guys would be the right community to reach out to. This points me in the right direction.

Yes, DrivinMyHome, I did return the harbor freight garbage solar panels that I bought because with space as a premium, I wanted to do it right. (and I had just gotten the generator working) I have plans to use monocrystaline panels for their efficiency and longevity along with gel cell batteries. I'm just at a loss as to where to purchase them. I'm glad I asked you guys about this.

The feedback from the others here while not positive, is most likely accurate. I probably need to keep my videos shorter, on topic and more interesting.

It seems my urban boondocking adventures may be coming to an end shortly. After 3 weeks of no job interviews, I had 2 back to back interviews (9 people!)and while it's not 100% for sure, I may get job offers from both based on their feedback. I plan to park the motorhome in storage and work on maintenance and installing my solar panels.

I read a book called Snow Crash years ago and there was a part in there about hightech nomads traveling in RVs. This partly inspired me to go on this journey and I have plans to 'do it up right' with high tech. I'm going to load the roof up with solar panels and battery bank so that I can have a few computers running, with wrap around lcd screens mounted on the bench table. a 42" tv with cable in the cab-over, and LTE high speed wireless internet.

thanks again guys.
BBoondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hope you get the job(s), but I also hope you continue your Urban Boondocking adventures. Many people are having to 'jingle-mail' the keys to their house if they foreclose, and moving into their RV's. It enables you to move to where the jobs are immediately, if necessary. I'd also like to see videos of the mods and upgrades you'd do to maintain such a lifestyle.
bodycoach2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #21

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
WOW...he said it was HIS channel and letting folks know its out there..Dont be rude.

Good luck BBoondocker!
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #22

Hey BBoondocker!

I've been following your videos and check your channel every day or so for new content. They are entertaining and it's good that you are showing the ups,downs and challenges of the urban boondocking lifestyle. I admire how thrifty and resourceful you are.

Life's a garden- dig it.
73DodgeTitan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking