Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKwanderer View Post
I'm boondocking this winter. It's been a challenge heating it. It's an 87 TravelMaster savannah, it's only 21 feet long and I don't really have room for a fireplace. I could remove one of the swivel chairs but it's still pretty small for it.
My old Scamper was only 23 feet long bumper to bumper. I took out the kitchen table/bed and mounted the stove right over the wheel wells....sat out in the bush "boondocking" with the electric heater running off the generator,the little useless propane heater it had with no fan,and all four burners on my stove going....while I dreamed up how I would build the stove and mount it. I bought a new "air tight" stove from the hardware store for 120 cnd... but it was just too flimzy and paper thin walls...I was scared I'd burn myself to the ground...haha..

Had to drink lots of whisky to stay warm while thinking how all this would go...lol
So I got a piece of oilfield pipe line and caped the ends then took a plasma cutter and made my door. The legs were adjustable...I had a fire in it one night outside to burn the BBQ paint off while I slept in my truck because I was done with freezing everynight for two weeks prior to that...Next day it was -34C I believe and I had it going by the end of the night...There was about 3 inches of ice built up all around the windows ( i have pictures of all this) and it took that night and all the next day to thaw them out...That night I slept in my bed so cozy and warm..I'm sure I had a smile on my face even in my sleep...lol

You should post pics of the inside of your camper and we'll see what we can come up with. My buddy had a camper smaller than mine and he put an airtight in it and it was home for him for 3 or 4 years while he worked the rigs.
You can't boondock on a budget and not have a woodstove...that propane will nickel and dime u plus its more dangerous than the wood stove is! I'll find those pics of mine and post them.
ROLLNSMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2011, 09:54 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Looks like you are out on the Trunk road....?Going to be COLD tonight....-28c in Red Deer.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMXDave View Post
Looks like you are out on the Trunk road....?Going to be COLD tonight....-28c in Red Deer.
Its the Grave Flats road by Cadomin just past the mine...I think some people call it the forestry truck as well.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Yes they do. Stay warm bud!
Old 11-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Lived in Alaska twelve years and saw many weird site and now I have to include your adventure as one of them. Had the pleasure to meet Col. Vauhn of Antartic fame..Last time I saw him he was still living in a log cabin in the middle of no where out by Willow, Alaska and had to snow machine in about 4 miles and he was 87 years old. Got to love your type of breed....good luck and good hunting.
jabfado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #20

I'll survive but I'm in town now...just made it out of there before the road got too snowed in...lol now I need to put a plow on this motorhome..lol
Old 11-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
You are hard core. I got chill bumps just looking at your pics.
X2
A couple of weeks ago went camping in the local mountains.....rained for the better part of the day, about 3pm it started snowing. After 3 hours of snow we were out of there.

If We can't Haul It...You Don't Need it ! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #22

those are just awesome pics! as soon as i get a RV i am headed out also. and putting in a woodstove is on the top of my list. and since i am sigle it will go in the passengers side once i remove the seat that way i won't have to remove and cabinets, table, or chairs. did you find out why your old one chugged? i had a stove in my house and it did that sometimes but that was because creosote buildt up and it was trying to catch on fire! so i made sure i kept the chimney clean and burned dry seasoned wood, the first year i burned whatever i could and lots were pine which i found out caused the creosote so thats a no no.
and i just have to ask since your out in the wild, ever see a bigfoot? and keep the pics coming, just love the mountains!
illumastorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:52 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumastorm View Post
those are just awesome pics! as soon as i get a RV i am headed out also. and putting in a woodstove is on the top of my list. and since i am sigle it will go in the passengers side once i remove the seat that way i won't have to remove and cabinets, table, or chairs. did you find out why your old one chugged? i had a stove in my house and it did that sometimes but that was because creosote buildt up and it was trying to catch on fire! so i made sure i kept the chimney clean and burned dry seasoned wood, the first year i burned whatever i could and lots were pine which i found out caused the creosote so thats a no no.
and i just have to ask since your out in the wild, ever see a bigfoot? and keep the pics coming, just love the mountains!
Is it cold where you're at? where ever you put the stove,you'll have to make heat shields all around it and on the ceiling too...just babysit it lots in the beginning and it should be good.

The chugging was because it was starving for air ( chimney pipe too big for stove???),I never had much creosote if any in the chimney and I burnt all my garbage and what ever wood I could find...even coal the odd time..lol the flame would shoot out the chimney a foot or so when I was getting it going so it always burned most of the cresote out. But when burning garbage etc,it would collect at the very top of the chimney so I'd just go up on roof and take a screw driver and roll it around the edge so all the creosote would just drop back in the stove and get burned up again...only had to do that once a month and that was having stove go all day.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumastorm
I just poted some more pics of winter boondocking in June...... Lol it's in the vintage rv section under" 1983 pace arrow adventures"
For anyone who wants to check out what winter boondocking in June looks like...
Old 06-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't boondock but I always try to visit these threads because you boondockers fascinate me! Wow! I admire your independence and pioneering spirit! We are just staring out my wife and I but perhaps, in time, we will try to emulate you folks. Again, I tip my hat to you all!
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
I don't boondock but I always try to visit these threads because you boondockers fascinate me! Wow! I admire your independence and pioneering spirit! We are just staring out my wife and I but perhaps, in time, we will try to emulate you folks. Again, I tip my hat to you all!
Lol thanks. The boondocking part with haveing hot showers and heat is easy but its the idea of making outdoor hot tubs beside a moumtain stream that excites me.. Lol or just the fact that ur camping at a spot no one has ever camped at b4.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #27

I love it!
Funrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
I have lived all over northern Canada, and seeing people living in their rvs during the winter to be close to work is not unusual. The campground in Fort McMurray, Alberta and Thompson, Manitoba are both right full of contractors no matter what the temperature is. I have seen units with foam board all over the sides of them to try and keep them warmer as well as many with smoke stacks coming out one of the side windows. Just a fact of life around here if you don't want to pay upwards of $3000 per month for a bed in someones basement and call it "home"

Tags
boondocking