Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2022, 05:10 AM   #15

I've driven on narrow dirt roads all my life both for business and pleasure. In my experience, the decision about who yields or has to back up almost always comes down to who is closest to a pull-out/wide spot or who has the smaller/more maneuverable vehicle. I've never had to apply the uphill/downhill rule.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2022, 10:02 AM   #16

I had two bicyclists become angry at me because they had to get off the road to allow my 24TT to pass.[emoji849]
USAMTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:49 AM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Screenshot of California DMV drivers handbook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220508-094416_Chrome.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	364844  
GPCPL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 11:53 AM   #18

I don't understand the rule about backing uphill. That is the last practical solution. Working in the woods of Oregon the rule of thumb is to back downhill. A log truck going downhill has the right of way, along with most other vehicles. It is easier to control and less stress on the transmission. There needs to be a rule of size. A few times a small car has attempted to force the "you need to back up" but I have patience and retired, they finally backed down.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 01:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
I don't understand the rule about backing uphill. That is the last practical solution. Working in the woods of Oregon the rule of thumb is to back downhill. A log truck going downhill has the right of way, along with most other vehicles. It is easier to control and less stress on the transmission. There needs to be a rule of size. A few times a small car has attempted to force the "you need to back up" but I have patience and retired, they finally backed down.
I believe a 'loaded' logging truck has the right of way. That's another subject.

We would not knowingly take our motorhome on a logging road. They seem to have no speed restrictions! We're uncomfortable even driving on the same paved highway with them.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 02:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
I think you have to adjust to the circumstances, if a large, heavy vehicle is approaching a small passenger vehicle the small vehicle should yield no matter who is on the uphill/downhill side. It's part common sense and part intimidation. And if I was in logging country or any industry area with big trucks it makes total sense to give those guys the right away whenever possible without question.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 06:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat32 View Post

I'm tempted to send DW up the road on her ebike with radio and bear spray in hand. Not sure she'd go for that, though.

Locals in Alaska refer to bikes as "Meals on Wheels"
Old 05-08-2022, 08:48 PM   #22

Been thinking of getting a drone for this reason. Yes, I hate 'em but 10 minutes with one could save a load of hassle.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat32 View Post
DW and I were scouting a new location to boondock in the Sawtooths in northern Utah. The forest road was wide enough for only 1 vehicle with very few places to pullover. We have a 23' tt. Is there a SOP (standard operating procedure) for when one encounters a vehicle coming from the opposite direction? Does the vehicle with the largest trailer have the right-of-way? The road is in decent condition, but there is a slight incline to the dispersed camping areas plus trees near the roadside.
The Sawtooths are in Idaho, not Utah.
In Idaho, the vehicle going downhill yields to the vehicle going uphill.
Zulu Kono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Kono View Post
The Sawtooths are in Idaho, not Utah.
In Idaho, the vehicle going downhill yields to the vehicle going uphill.

OP may mean ......Sawtooth National Forest situated in northwestern Utah
*Sawtooth Mountain is a peak in Utah and has an elevation of 8,488 feet

Southern California has Sawtooth range as does Colorado
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
OP may mean ......Sawtooth National Forest situated in northwestern Utah
*Sawtooth Mountain is a peak in Utah and has an elevation of 8,488 feet

Southern California has Sawtooth range as does Colorado
I looked it up and you're right.
There is one portion of the Sawtooth NF
in Utah called the Raft River Division.
Never knew that before today.
Zulu Kono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 02:32 PM   #26

I've always wondered -- shouldn't it be The Sawteeth? One sawtooth is just an isolated peak. It takes a few peaks to make a saw, right?

I've camped in the Sawtooths of Idaho, and there were plural mountains.