RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:33 PM   #1

Need a place to boondock while I find a job near Denver

Please help if you can. My husband and I just moved out of the San Luis Valley (1 1/2 ft of snow still) 4 hours away from "home", to the state park campground in Littleton, Colorado. We are running out of money to pay $45 a day (which includes park pass) and will need to move our 27 ft bumper pull camper soon. We have to borrow a vehicle to move it so we need to sit somewhere safe for a week or two at least while we both look for jobs. Anywhere in between Littleton and the Golden area would be great...are there any suggestions for a site while we get established?

QueenB81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2020, 01:33 AM   #2

I don’t know the area. The app RV Parky doesn’t show any inexpensive campgrounds. What kind of work are you looking for? Indeed.com shows some pretty high paying factory /warehouse jobs.

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=...ace3277f6b99df

Ron750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenB81 View Post
Please help if you can. My husband and I just moved out of the San Luis Valley (1 1/2 ft of snow still) 4 hours away from "home", to the state park campground in Littleton, Colorado. We are running out of money to pay $45 a day (which includes park pass) and will need to move our 27 ft bumper pull camper soon. We have to borrow a vehicle to move it so we need to sit somewhere safe for a week or two at least while we both look for jobs. Anywhere in between Littleton and the Golden area would be great...are there any suggestions for a site while we get established?
I suggest you download the ParkAdvisor app which has a very good database of the available campgrounds in the area. It will be nigh on impossible to find a site in any private campground in the area. The few that are here are expensive and are full of permanent residents.
Unless you get real lucky you will have to be prepared to expand your search area. We were in loop B at Chatfield SP for awhile but the recent price increases at all Colorado SPs and the 14 day limit in 28 days would have us bouncing back and forth to another SP every two weeks.
The cheapest campgrounds we have found are the Boulder County Fairgrounds in Longmont with a 14 day limit in a YEAR and the Elbert County Fairgrounds in Kiowa with a 14 day limit in 45 days. Casey Jones RV Park is operated by the City of Elizabeth Parks and Rec. It's about 15 miles east of Castle Rock and 7 miles west of Kiowa. It's about a 60 mile drive from Elizabeth to Golden.
Several months ago the Walmart regional manager must have decided not to allow any overnight parking in the stores in his region. Almost every WM in the Denver metro area had signs prohibiting overnight parking but it was seldom enforced. In the space of a few days many stores started strictly enforcing the prohibition. The few ruined it for the many.
Good luck in your search for an affordable campsite and for a good job.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:24 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You might try Jefferson County Fairgrounds near Golden.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snxwmxn View Post
You might try Jefferson County Fairgrounds near Golden.
From the Jefferson County Fairgrounds website:
"Facility Highlights
Paved and unpaved parking lots as well as an*RV*campground. 40*RV*campsites with water and electric hook-ups. 30 and 50 amp electric hook-up available. Overnight camping is allowed in conjunction with an event or pen and stall rental only. Fees apply. No overnight parking."
I have confirmed this policy by telephone.
Jefferson County officials are presently considering closing the fairgrounds to save money.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
Old 01-30-2020, 02:53 PM   #6

Look on freecampsites.net. They list many free to low cost sites. Many are in city or county parks or other municipal locations. Also listed are low cost campgrounds. Additionally stores like WalMart, Cracker Barrel, Cabellas etc are listed wher overnight camping is allowed.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:12 PM   #7

I doubt the OP ever returned.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron750 View Post
I don’t know the area. The app RV Parky doesn’t show any inexpensive campgrounds. What kind of work are you looking for? Indeed.com shows some pretty high paying factory /warehouse jobs.

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=...ace3277f6b99df
I have a Bachelors in HR and my husband is a Jack of all trades.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
Look on freecampsites.net. They list many free to low cost sites. Many are in city or county parks or other municipal locations. Also listed are low cost campgrounds. Additionally stores like WalMart, Cracker Barrel, Cabellas etc are listed wher overnight camping is allowed.
There are not many places around here that allow overnights.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
From the Jefferson County Fairgrounds website:
...Overnight camping is allowed in conjunction with an event or pen and stall rental only.
That's a shame. It was probably too much for the OP's budget anyway, but there are so few RV parks in the Denver area, and losing this one isn't going to help matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
The OP has to borrow a vehicle to move the trailer, so places like Cracker Barrel are out of the question.

I agree with FL420 that getting a space in an RV park in the Denver area is always hard, and for less than $45 will be impossible. So I think the fairgrounds suggestion is about the only solution, but man, it's going to be an awful drive from any of them. And most have a length-of-stay limit.

Such is life in an RV in Denver. And it's a lot easier right now than it will be in the summer.

Actually, to the OP: This is a longshot, but there's a skanky looking place called Golden Terrace in Golden, across the street from expensive Dakota Ridge. I would guess that it's full of permanents, but you never know.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
That's a shame. It was probably too much for the OP's budget anyway, but there are so few RV parks in the Denver area, and losing this one isn't going to help matters.
The Jeffco Fairgrounds are underutilized and therefore not self-supporting. The attitude of Jeffco officials seem to be to sell it off for redevelopment into something that will make more money.
It would be wonderful for RVers if they could find someone to take over the existing campsite infrastructure to maintain and hopefully improve it. We desperately need it.

Tags
boondock, denver