Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Need an inverter for CPAP machine??

While planning on where to stay on our trip next week was thinking about Walmart etc. lots, wife asked how we would be using the CPAPS without hooking up. Told her I would find out from other members what they do. I was thinking about a portable inverter to convert 12 volts to 110 volts. Do I need a certain size? Do not want to run the generator all night just for the machines. Thanks, Roger
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #2

i would check to see if there is a 12v adapeter for your macnine. I did a quck check and saw that some machines can be used on 12 v with the corect plug.
check this site CPAP Machines and CPAP Masks for the Treatment of Sleep Apnea

i found this cord for one of the machines they sell. there may be one for your macnine.

CPAP.com - IntelliPAP 12 volt DC Power Cord

good luck
Old 09-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #3

You need to check the wattage required to run you units. Once know, find an inverter that can supply a little more than required continueously. Many will give a peak rating, but you need to know what it can provide all night long. Once you know all you numbers, you can check with numerous places, most Auto Parts, Radio Shack, CW, etc. Good luck
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_H_E View Post
i would check to see if there is a 12v adapeter for your macnine. I did a quck check and saw that some machines can be used on 12 v with the corect plug.
check this site CPAP Machines and CPAP Masks for the Treatment of Sleep Apnea

i found this cord for one of the machines they sell. there may be one for your macnine.

CPAP.com - IntelliPAP 12 volt DC Power Cord

good luck
X2

I use a M-Series Bi-Pap Auto , by Respironics (when I bought my unit I was told I needed a Pure-Sine wave inverter) I bought a 12vdc Power Cord from Cpap.com, installed a 12vdc power plug next to the bed and it runs great with out an inverter, I also have a inverter but the inverter is out of commission at the moment, but why use a 2000w inverter to run a device that runs off of 12v. I realize if you need a humidifier (which I have prescribed for me) from my experience, I don't need the humidifier and can some times not have to use it,
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
i agree why use my 2000 watt when this works

..PROFESSIONAL MARINER Invertor at West Marine
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #6

A portable invertor, may just add more noise to the bedroom, when It's cooling fan cuts in. DW uses the 12 adaptor , from her CPAP manu. no issues using the humidifier.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My Resperonics CPAP has a 110v input and a 12v at 4.18 amp output. I guess with the right pin connect on the back of the CPAP I could go directly from 12 V. The 4.18 is the kick-back. Anyone want to do the math on how much 8 hours of draw would be?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder4rfun View Post
While planning on where to stay on our trip next week was thinking about Walmart etc. lots, wife asked how we would be using the CPAPS without hooking up. Told her I would find out from other members what they do. I was thinking about a portable inverter to convert 12 volts to 110 volts. Do I need a certain size? Do not want to run the generator all night just for the machines. Thanks, Roger
allstays has an easy to use locater for walmarts, etc.
Walmart Store Locations Map - Wal-Mart Guide

as others have said, you need to know how much wattage your cpap draws. then you can size an inverter properly. you also need to know the amp hour capacity of your house battery bank. here is some basic electric info to help with these calculations.
Electrical Tutorial
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #9

When I went thru this last year for my machine, I was told I could use either the 12v adapter or a 400w psw inverter. They both cost about the same, but I could do other things with the inverter, so went that way.

I was using one group 27 size battery. When I tried to use the inverter and the furnace, about 4 AM the battery dropped down low enough when the furnace kicked on that caused the inverter to trigger the low voltage cutoff. Had to add another battery if I wanted to run the furnace.
alageezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I have a two battery bank feeding a 1500 watt inverter. I use it for the CPAP and the satellite TV and flat screen when we are boondocking and don't want to fire up the generator. It works fine. The inverter lives in the front storage area and is hard-wired to two sockets, one in the bedroom and one in the TV cabinet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:15 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
My Resperonics CPAP has a 110v input and a 12v at 4.18 amp output. I guess with the right pin connect on the back of the CPAP I could go directly from 12 V. The 4.18 is the kick-back. Anyone want to do the math on how much 8 hours of draw would be?

Go to http://www.cap.com and buy the 12dc plug $24.00 I have one of those and I also have the Respironics back up battery for my M-series Bi-Pap Auto.
"Semper Fi"
Old 09-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
W6PEA,
Thanks. I'll look into that should I decide I want to boondock without electricity. Wait, I have a generator.

I know, I know, many like to rough it. My wife's idea of roughing it is full hook up.

I think the important thing to remember is that any 12V output with the correct amperage will be satisfactory. I would definitely have one with an in-line fuse for the rated amperage. Just to protect the CPAP. The link you provided looks like the in-line would be i the tip of the lighter plug. Most are.

If it is something someone needs immediately, good ol' Shady-ol'-Rack can provide the necessary parts to build one. A very cheap adapter with the right plug, cut the wire, buy a cig lighter plug with anything for a connector (fuse protected), cut the wire, splice the two together observing polarity, and there you have it. An emergency fix-it. (p.s., offset the splice so if the two wire ever do meet it will not blow the fuse but just be up against the insulator. A good tap job, or splice connectors, are a must.)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Smile Inverter

i HAVE BEEN USING A 400 WATT INVERTER FOR SEVERAL YEARS. IT DOES A GREAT JOB AND I CAN GET A FULL NIGHT PLUS WITH IT. THE UNIT I HAVE WAS PURCHASED FROM INTERSTATE BATTERY AND IS A COBRA. THEY ARE THE SAME PEOPLE THAT MANUFACTURE CB'S. ANY NAME BRAND WILL DO. YOU MAY WANT TO PURCHASE A LARGER UNIT, AS THEY ARE HANDY FOR OTHER USES. GOOD LUCK AND SLEEP WELL.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

I run a dedicated 10g wire to the 12vdc plug I installed in the bedroom. I also put in two in-line fuses 15 amp. One on the positive and one on ground leads as if it was wired to run my IC-706-MKIIG Ham Radio. I know it would run just as good on 14g wire, but when your life kind of depends on that machine you don't want any drop in voltage.
I know that was a bit of over kill , but when you have a Bi-Pap Machine that cost at the time I bought a little over 1500.00 bucks.
"Semper Fi"

Tags
inverter