Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have no qualms about dumping my grey water when out in the boonies or when parked at a place owned by friends and family. It's 99% water with only earth friendly soap and maybe a little food juice juice mixed in. I have a cap on my tank outlet that allows a garden hose to be connected. That way I can leave the grey tank valve open. The end of the hose drains into a small hole that I dug, near a tree if possible. I see no reason to not recycle that water unless the area has some rule prohibiting it. Before leaving, I refill the hole. The trees appreciate the drink.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #16

You have three problems to address by my count.
1 - Water use - Even with six of you, you should be able to make it on a 40 gal potable tank. One of the first things you should do is start an education program. You don't need a shower every night. You don't need to leave the water running to brush teeth. You do need to wipe pots and dishes down before washing them. You need to pay attention to how much flush water you use.

2 - Weight of the Potable water you are hoping to carry. This is a very valid point. Since your TV is not a tanker, you better start looking at that.

3 - Waste water management - this just as important as water use. It all has to go somewhere. You could solve part of your own problem by using gray to flush the pot. This would be a small help, but it would help.

You don't give anything to go on for the progeny, and that can make a big difference. As someone that grew up with only the potable water we could tank at the last port, I can tell you that you can get by on the six and an half gallons that you can tank. It will take some thinking and learning.

Matt
Old 11-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #17

ntnbiker-- if you're thinking about tv saddle tanks. check out ebay--rv fresh water tanks for sizes they have 36"x15"x8" =19 gallons and 39"x16"x 8"=21 gallons and lots of other sizes. so adding 38+gallons up to maybe 84 gallons with enough tv could be possible and still have your bed clear. just a thought.
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #18

This is how we get freshwater.

Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are a lot of things you could do to conserve water. We have two podcast episodes on it (episodes 6 and 7, I think). If you're going to be away from water source with that many people, you may want to consider converting your toilet to using grey water for flushing. USI-RV has a complete system for the conversion. Conserving water on an RV is a skill that takes practice. As for dumping grey water; setting up a grey water evaporation pond, or setup an evapotron would be better. I've even heard some people using filtered grey water for Swamp Coolers. If you want to get really extreme, you could use solar still (if Water Cone ever become available again) with filtered grey water, and convert it back to drinking water. I plan on buying 2-3 Watercone 2.0 when they are available.

I'd work on making better use of what you have on board before acquiring more water.
bodycoach2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #20

My 5r has a 100 gal fresh water tank but when surfing at the beach, I do want a quick shower after leaving the ocean. Harbor freight has a nice hi volumn 12volt transfer pump. As my truck bed is higher than my 5r water tank, I am toying with the idea of a hose from the in bed extra tanks to the rv tank and let gravity do the work. The other problem is the guage on my fresh water tank is inaccurate. I built a site glass tube with 1/4 inch oxygen tubing from the bottom of the tank and up the side of my rv. When level, I know exactly the level in the fresh water tank.
oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry, did the original post ask "how to conserve" or ask "ideas" for hauling more water?
Old 12-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Kay View Post
Sorry, did the original post ask "how to conserve" or ask "ideas" for hauling more water?
The title of the thread asked about 'more capacity', which I took (maybe mistakenly) to include both hauling and use. If hauling was the only criteria, is just get a 300 gallon trailer.
bodycoach2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Kay View Post

Sorry, did the original poster say "So I have a couple of thoughts and would like to hear y'all's opinions."
Old 12-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
When we had a trailer I built a rack on the back to hold 6, 5 gallon jugs. They were empty until we came to the last water source prior to our boondocking site. We would fill the jugs and have extra water when needed. We camped with up to 8 kids, our 2 and their friends, and if anyone wanted a shower they had to hike to the water spigot and bring back two 5 gallon jugs. It always sounded like it would work out but it never did. Someone always ended up all soaped up and the water would run out. Then it was a big rush to get more water before the soap dried. It's funny now but not so much at the time. We watered the plants with the gray water.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Just out of curiosity: If you add another FW tank do you also have the additional grey and black water holding capacity or do you just let them run out on the ground seeing as how you are boondocking--boondocking implies you are not hooked up to any sewer/water/electric? Or do you go to a dump station when tanks are full? If so, then you could just refill the fresh water there at the potable water tap.
Never unload your black and grey water tanks anywhere but in a proper dump station. The only time it would ever be acceptable to unload them any place is if they were filled with water you would be willing to drink.
SL1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1966 View Post
Never unload your black and grey water tanks anywhere but in a proper dump station. The only time it would ever be acceptable to unload them any place is if they were filled with water you would be willing to drink.
I've never done this, but playing devil's advocate: My horses and cattle 'dump their tanks' in my pasture, how is that different from what's in my black tank?

I know of a porta-potty company that fertilizes hay fields with their tankers. Is this a problem?
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #27

I understand a little but also a little confused a lot.

So if we go tent camping I can wash my dishes by the water spigot and use my solar shower tent.

If we go to the ocean I can take a shower outside at one of the many outdoor showers that residents have.

In Europe most of the caravans (RV's) do not have gray water tanks !

And... most people with septic systems let their washing machine water run out on their grass.

I have to clean up after my dog but if I own a horse I no not need to

As I understand that you should not run a hose from your gray water tank to a stream I just cant imagine that a couple of gallons a day of shower / sink water can do the damage the planet no more or less then most peoples septic systems.

That is all..
Old 01-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Camping world (And likely some other stores, in fact I know some other stores) sell "Bladders" 40 or 90 gallons as I recall, (At CW) assorted sizes at other places.

You fill your 40 gallon tank, get a 40 gallon Bladder, put it on the roof of your towed, Fill it at a handy re-fill station and feed it to your fresh tank.

In my case. I will likely use the smalelr one too since the tank holds but 70,, that way I can re-fill at half full. Roughly (1/3) and never worry about it.

Tags
water