Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #1

Need more fresh water capacity...

We boondock 99% of the time and usually go for 4 days 3 nights with me, wifey, 4 kids, and 2 dogs. I'm guessing the FW tank is 40 gallon, and we've been packing 3, 5 gallon jugs as well but it just doesn't last. So I have a couple of thoughts and would like to hear y'all's opinions. Carry a couple 15 gallon drums and a transfer pump, or ad another holding tank next to my current one. Just from eyeballing it it looks like I could add a 30-40 gallon tank.
My thoughts are adding a tank would be kinda costly and involve a little remodeling.
15 gallon drums and a pump would be cheaper, but man handling them could be interesting. Although having portable water storage that could be used elsewhere sounds useful. So, am I missing any pros / cons to either? What's been your experiences?
Thanks...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #2

Just out of curiosity: If you add another FW tank do you also have the additional grey and black water holding capacity or do you just let them run out on the ground seeing as how you are boondocking--boondocking implies you are not hooked up to any sewer/water/electric? Or do you go to a dump station when tanks are full? If so, then you could just refill the fresh water there at the potable water tap.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #3

have you monitored water usage (convervation)? i.e. one cup of water to brush teeth, one gallon of water to shower. etc. you have 40gallons + 15 gallons for 4 days = 13.75 gallons a day / 6 people = 2.29 gallons per day. just remember you're not at home and everyone needs to conserve. or camp in a campground and let the water run.
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Get one of the 40 gallon water bladders from Camping World (or similar) and rig up a simple transfer pump. The bladder will lay in the back of a pickup, SUV or even a properly padded trunk (no sharp edges please) and is easy to fill and empty. It is MUCH easier than working with small capacity jugs. We use a cheap SureFlo pump placed in a small plastic tool box with the appropriate in / out connectors and 12V wiring with alligator clamps. Works great.

Note that on many RVs, there is no gravity fill and a pressure transfer system like our SureFlo setup is the only way the fill the fresh water tank.

Combine this with a bowser (blue boy) to empty your holding tanks and you can boondock indefinitely.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #5

Yes when i say we boondock we are nowhere near any hoockups at all. We go from desert to mountains. Id never want to dump any waste water on the ground. I am going to add another grey tank. That's the easy one. Lots of room and easy spot to plumb it in. We try to conserve as much as we can. The kids try and I remind them every chance I get. Sometimes unfortunately they forget. Good idea on the bladder. I'll look into it.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #6

You are right on with the drums, I use two 55 gallon drums to replenish my fresh water, but I'm parked out in the desert for many months at a time, and a transfer pump is easy to attain.

A drum is how thousands of people replenish their water when parked at Quartzsite.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #7

Thanks Ed. Can't argue with a system tested and used by that many people. I kinda like the idea of having a portable water source for other "emergencies" if needed.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just make sure that if you do add water storage that your rig can handle the extra weight. Also, where you place it can cause other unintended consequences such as tongue weight changes. Keep us posted.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Just make sure that if you do add water storage that your rig can handle the extra weight. Also, where you place it can cause other unintended consequences such as tongue weight changes. Keep us posted.
FINALLY, someone introduces a REAL concern about the topic in this thread --- WEIGHT. Water weighs about 8.4 pounds per gallon. 30 gallons = 252 lbs, 40 gallons = 336 lbs. Now double that if you add a grey tank too. That can seriously effect tongue weight, axle limits, handling.

If you use the CW bladder, you could unhook the trailer then run out with the bladder and top up as needed.

Better yet, teach water conservation to the kids by issuing each a 5 gallon jug and make them pay for a refill, either with chores or some other suitable payment.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #10

I appreciate your concern about weight and all I can do is assure you I have calculated, weighed, configured, and rechecked all weight and mounting concerns as well as mechanical function and capabilities of everything concerned. I could bore you with numbers or my background experience in life but that's not on topic so I won't ;-) But thanks again :-)
Old 11-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
I used a 40 gal. RV tank and pump that I can attach to the battery, tote to dump the grey on our trailer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	536.7 KB
ID:	29692  
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #12

You do have a transfer pump build in. Use the 12v pump with the antifreeze line connected to the jug or other supply. We do that all the time when out of water.
I mostly travel with tank full. Fresh water usually ends up in the gray tanks so no more weight but transfer of weight.
So far I have not felt the difference with additional weight and we have a 70 imp gallon tank.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #13

mtnbiker --- i see you're towing with a suburban. have you slide under the sides and seen if you can strap a tank on each side outside of the frame ? probable 20-25 gallons each side.
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #14

Hey now that's a great idea! I'm going to upgrading my TV soon. I'm shooting for a 4door 1ton srw. But I'll keep it in mind :-)

Tags
water