RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2020, 01:41 PM   #1

Need Recommendations !

I have a full week off ( 9 days counting weekends on both ends) in early October.

I am leaving from Minnesota.

Looking for good ideas and places to go ? Would prefer to stay at one spot the entire time.

Would prefer 2 days there, 2 days home, max..

any ideas ? We were trying MOAB, checked a few campgrounds and all of them were sold out.

We are open to boon docking, actually prefer it, but I don't know the area well enough, would I absolutely be guaranteed a spot somewhere ?

Can I reserve a boon docking spot somewhere ?

I am not sure about driving for 2 days, with no reservations, but will give it a go if its a pretty safe bet ?
HappyCamperr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2020, 02:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamperr View Post
I have a full week off ( 9 days counting weekends on both ends) in early October.

I am leaving from Minnesota.

any ideas ? We were trying MOAB, checked a few campgrounds and all of them were sold out.

We are open to boon docking, actually prefer it, but I don't know the area well enough, would I absolutely be guaranteed a spot somewhere ?

Can I reserve a boon docking spot somewhere ?
No!

There are boondocking spots along the river east of Moab. These fill up early from what I hear. The are many more spots over the river in the San Juan Mountains and other scattered around the desert west of town. You will very likely find a spot but maybe not your first choice. I suggest https://freecampsites.net/#!Moab,+Utah,+United+States

I see at least 20 spots around Moab.

Now last I heard the county that Moab is in had closed all boondocking sites in the county. That was months ago and they probably dropped that but I'd check if I were you.

Have you done any extended boondocking? You do not seem to be very familiar with it. It is a skill with a definite learning curve.

?[/QUOTE]
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:03 PM   #3

Here's good information on Moab. BLM has campgrounds and also boondocking areas. We've boondocked in the area but you can't set up just anywhere. Due to misuse of the land by past campers many places have been closed. Check the map carefully.

https://www.discovermoab.com/blm-campgrounds/

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29448394.cfm

https://www.discovermoab.com/covid-19/

Moab has a lot of events year-round. Many have been cancelled due to the virus; but not all. Depending the time period you're planning, there may be reservation cancellations due to the virus.

https://www.moabhappenings.com/events%20year.htm

Also check on Dead Horse Point State Park in Moab. It's a beauty and much better than any RV park in Moab!

https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/dead-horse/

Other suggested areas for you are:

Flaming Gorge Nat'l Rec Area off I-80 in Wyoming
Snowy Range area in Wyoming
Custer State Park, SD
Pagosa Springs, CO/Durango, CO
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:19 PM   #4

I second Deahhorse State Park- amazing views. In some respect, better than the Grand Canyon. Unfortunately, it's a little pricey - think we paid $40/night.

Also lots of boondocking around western South Dakota. Plenty of stuff to see.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:01 PM   #5

Two days from Minnehaha to Moab? You'll need at least two days to recover! I wouldn't plan that for less than 3 weeks!
I guess I'm a wimp.
Gammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:20 PM   #6

Try the Hipcamp app if you havenít already.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote