Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2019, 01:09 PM   #1

New to long term boondocking

Hi,

We have a 40 ft fifth wheel and are planning our first long trip with our rig this June. This is our itinerary:

June 14-Drive from Southern California to Zion
June 14-17 Camp in or near Zion
June 17-June 23- Drive to Yellowstone and camp
June 23-June 26-Drive from Yellowstone to Grand Tetons and camp
June 26-June 28-Drive from Grand Tetons to Zion and camp
June 28-Drive home to Southern California

This is just a tentative schedule but we have to go in June or July because that will be when our 13 year old is out of school.

I have looked at "reservation" campsites but they're all booked. We're open to boondocking but have only boondocked for about a week. Our RV holds 100 gallons of fresh water so I have some questions about boondocking for 2 weeks. Where are facilities where we can dump and fill up our fresh water tank and are there fees for this? Are there boondocking areas in between Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons where we can easily get to both?

Any advice, camping spots and suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!
ginar695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2019, 01:23 PM   #2

Since you have the time you may want to go to youtube and do a search on "boondocking". You can always add to the search for areas you are going to. You will pick up a lot of info by watching the videos.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When in the Zion area, heading north, Bryce is worth a stop. There is NF camping literally 90 feet from the entrance. And there is a dump station at the campground in the park.
snxwmxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:28 PM   #4

There are a number of USFS campgrounds by West Yellowstone, MT that are FCFS, Gros Ventre Campground by Jackson, WY is also FCFS, you probably can get in there if you are early enough in the day, to find places to dump and fill go to www.sanidumps.com you can input state and city and it will tell you where to find dumps and usually if they have potable water also.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:40 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Get the Campendium app. Free with lots of good boondocking options.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:32 PM   #6

Look for campgrounds or RV parks that have a dump and fill station. You don’t need a reservation and some may let you use an open space if available. Dump and fill along the way as necessary. Fees are usually $10 or less, once it was free. 4-5 days should be pretty easy with 100 gallons. We travel with 10-12 gallons of drinking water for 2 people, it’s good for about a week. Be sure to have plenty of fuel for the generator.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:30 PM   #7

You can't boondock in those national parks. They do have dry camping. Grand Teton has Gros Ventre campground and Colter Bay campground - both dry camping and 300 non-reservable sites. We've always gotten a campsite for our 40' motorhome. Try to be there early morning. They have a dump station and water fill. If you conserve you should be able to last 2 weeks with 100 gal. Don't let water run; take quick navy showers; wet down; water off; soap up; rinse. You don't have to do dishes after every meal. Wipe off good with a damp used paper towel/napkin. We re-use the breakfast fry pan and vegetable cooking pot. Just wipe out. Use paper plates. Our black water tank lasted longer than the grey water so the dish water was used to flush the toilet.

Baker Hole national forest campground a couple miles north of W. Yellowstone is a terrific place to stay - some electric; mostly dry camping; no reservations. Get there early.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:22 PM   #8

Finding a place to dump and fill up water is not that hard. There are few apps and some google searching and you will find some. Campgrounds with dump stations are often fine with taking a few dollars from you to let you dump and fill up water. We tend to always call ahead just to confirm what we see on websites just to be sure.

Some flying j stations will have water and dump for a small fee. I know of at least one maverick fuel station in moab has free dump and water fill up. I assume some of the others do also.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslam View Post
Since you have the time you may want to go to youtube and do a search on "boondocking". You can always add to the search for areas you are going to. You will pick up a lot of info by watching the videos.
Thank you! Just did that last night and got a ton of information. I also downloaded Campendium as well! Time to get busy planning!
Old 01-24-2019, 08:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Get the Campendium app. Free with lots of good boondocking options.
Did that last night and love it!! Took a lot of unneeded stress out of my planning!
Old 01-24-2019, 09:05 AM   #11

You might want to add Sanidumps.com, Allstays, Freecampsites.net to your arsenal. We boondock/drycamp at least 95%+ of the time on our extended travels for the past 15+ years and we've rarely had to pay for water fills, dumps or otherwise = filled and dumped at several gas stations that accommodate.

We've also asked at many businesses/restaurants/churches if OK to stay the night and never been turned away unless an ordinance or other issue would prevent.

Relax, enjoy and just being flexible I'm sure you'll always find something/ somewhere to lay your hat for the night

STBFT
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:54 PM   #12

Some general information about YNP (some general items apply to GTNP also)

YNP is BIG!, about 45 miles E/W and about 65 miles N/S (2.2 mil. Acres total). The “figure 8 grand loop” road inside the park is about 140 miles around. The lower loop is 96 miles and the upper loop is 70 miles around and yes, it is bigger than the states of Rhode Island and Delaware combined.

Whatever time that you think you will need to see YNP you better double it, or to say it another way is that you will see one half as much as you planned on in the allotted time. The Bison think that they own the road (they do!) and will slow down the traffic to walking speed or stop all traffic for 1/4 mile or more blocking both directions of travel, the thermal attractions also tie up traffic and with a 5 month long summer tourist season that coincides with a 5 month long road construction season and a 45 MPH radar controlled speed limit it will take about a full day to see each loop and then you will only see the main attractions. In addition to the occasional construction delays they will also sometimes close whole sections of road (for uninterrupted night construction) between 10 PM and 8 AM in the morning, if you are running late and get caught at night in the wrong area it CAN be a LONG way around to your CG! (The entrance stations will have current construction information or go on line to check it out)

Then there is the elevation- YNP ranges from a low at Mammoth- 6239 ft to 7784 ft at Fishing Bridge or higher if you go hiking and there are passes on the grand loop road that are close to 8000 ft or so! Drink plenty of liquids and pace yourself when walking.

I recommend that you get up EARLY, leave the CG and be back by 4 or 6 PM have dinner and be sitting in your recliner drinking a cool one when your neighbor drags himself back to the CG at 8-10 PM. Remember that from mid May to mid July in YNP the sun doesn't set until about 9:30- 9:45 PM then there is a long twilight.

Cell Phone Service- Only at the major visitor centers, otherwise non-existent!

Clothing- Especially in the early or late season it is not unusual to have a 30 or even the occasional 40 degree temperature change throughout the day. Dress with easily shed layers of clothing. Also dress in bright easily seen clothing. I am sure that we all have been to a sporting event, parade or Disney World etc. and we blink our eyes and our partner/child has disappeared. My DIL was born and raised in HI, you guessed it, every Xmas, b-day or Father's Day I receive a Hawaiian shirt. One of them is shiny black with 4-5 inch dia. bright flowers. Not many of them in Wyoming and in YSNP, that is what I wear. If your partner has on a Violet blouse and a Orange scarf with a Pink hat I guarantee that she will be the only one within the boundaries of either NP. It can save you a few anxious moments.

Water- Now I will have to contradict myself, at the altitude of YNP yes, drink lots of water! HOWEVER, be aware that the flush toilet restrooms are are in the major tourist areas- Mammoth, Canyon, Fishing Bridge, Lake Hotel, Bridge Bay, Grant Village, Old Faithful, Madison Junction etc. The geyser basins and other thermal attractions areas only have pit toilets. I have seen the pit toilet line at the lower Geyser Basin (2 R/Rs) 25 or more feet long (bless the tour buses) So be smart about drinking your water and use the major tourist area R/Rs before leaving the area! I.e. “Never pass up a flush toilet!”

Sun- At YSNP altitude the Sun is intense (uv)have and apply sunscreen, wear that old floppy wide brim sun hat, wear Sunglasses!

If your luck is like mine Old Faithful will have just erupted when you get there and you will have up to a hour and 10 to 15 minutes wait for the next one. Tour tour the O/F Geyser basin while waiting. O/F INN is a must see, reportedly the largest LOG building in the U.S. (Meals in the O/F Inn dinning room are “A OK” also.

We have lived about 110 miles from West Yellowstone, MT since 1964, go to YSNP 3-4 times a summer (normally before Memorial Day and after Labor Day) and haven't seen it all yet! So don’t be discouraged that you didn’t have the time to see all of it. Just plan on coming back another time!

I honestly don’t mean to scare or discourage you but to give you a heads up as to what to expect! After all there was 4.1 million visitors in 2015! As far as I know we didn’t lose one of them. Except those who by their own stupidity step off the board walks into BOILING HOT water and ignoring the warnings about the WILD ANIMALS! That is called purifying the gene pool!

Note I have seen on this blog and others about folks “day tripping” from YSNP to GTNP, it is done all the time (myself included) however remember this is BIG country and with the speed limits, animals and thermal attractions you will be doing a LOT of driving. From Grant Village Visitor Center (extreme S/E corner of the lower loop road) to Jackson, WY is about 80 miles with Coulter Bay being about 1/2 way then from Grant Village you have to add the distance to your CG it will be a Long days trip!

A point of CoulterBay (GTNP) clarification- there are two (2) CG’s at Coulter Bay, One the “Coulter Bay RV Park” a full service “RV Park” with FHU’S that takes reservations. The other is the “Coulter Bay Campground “ has no hookups and doesn’t take reservations. Both have about 300 sites and are basically across the road from each other.

When in the Jackson area I highly recommend seeing the Bar J Chuckwagon dinner show! If you go, MAKE RESERVATIONS and BE THERE EARLY TO PICK UP YOUR MEAL TICKETS/ TABLE SEATING ASSIGNMENTS! They seat you by when you show up to get your tickets NOT by your reservation number. Tim, their fiddle player has won the "Idaho state old time fiddle contest 7 times and the US open fiddle championship twice". If you decide to go you will sit at picnic type of bench seats/table, they get pretty hard, I recommend that you take along a blanket/pads to sit on. We day trip it there 2-4 times every summer just to see them! Disclaimer- We have no financial or other interest in the Bar J only that it will be the best $$ value for your money for your trip! Check out their website.

Bar J Chuckwagon

Also in Jackson check out the “COWBOY” bar, the bar stools are saddles and the # of Silver Dollars in the bar. The Wort Hotel Bar (just around the corner from the Cowboy Bar) also has Silver Dollars imbedded in the Bar
Old 01-25-2019, 02:11 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We typically dry camp for a week or so at a time. Then while moving to another location, we duck into a FHU camp ground for a day or two or more. There we catch up on laundry, long showers, fill/dump tanks, etc. Applying dump fees and such towards a CG makes the CG relatively less money.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:54 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
We do what Vince does a lot. Right now we are in a four week section of dry camping though, and I miss my washer and dryer LOL! Back to the OPs question, there are private campgrounds in Springville near Zion where you can pay to dump. For Yellowstone, Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone used to charge $10 to dump, but the place was spotless and had a screw end on the rinse hose so you can flush the black tank easily, something not always available. We always used to try to camp at Bakers Hole NFS campground about 3 miles north of West Yellowstone, and it doesn’t have a dump station so we used the one at Grizzly as we left. Note there aren’t very many sites available for big rigs, but there are some great ones for under 32’ or so. Gros Ventre and Coulter Bay also have dump stations available.

And please follow the recommendation to get out EARLY at YNP. Yes, I know it is hard with kids, but it is so worth it. Leave the later afternoons to walk around the cool towns nearby.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking