RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-24-2020, 09:22 PM   #1

Outdoor Cooking Gear Ideas

Not sure if this is the best place for this question, but I wasn't sure where else to post it. So here goes.

My wife and I don't really boondock (although we hope to do more of it), but we do like to cook outside, especially when it's warm. We currently have a Camp Chef two-burner stove, but I have a hard time keeping the flame lit without turning it up high (thereby burning or possibly overcooking the food) when the wind kicks up, as it often does here in Idaho.

Because of that, I'm considering other options, such as a Coleman Roadtrip grill, in part because of the add-ons you can get, such as the griddle and stove burner grate to allow using pots on the grill. At some point, I would then perhaps supplement the grill with a two-burner camp stove. My thinking is that, if I'm going to cook outside, I want to be able to fix the entire meal outside and not have to shuttle between an outside cooking situation and an indoor stove.

I like the flexibility of the Coleman, but I'm open to other ideas if anyone cares to share them. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 04:23 PM   #2

White Gas Stove

My Coleman two burner white gas stove has been with us since we retired our backpacking one burner nested cook kit about 3 decades ago.

It starts with a major flare up and requires a little finesse to keep it burning without igniting the surrounding forest until the gas generator warms up. It then burns precisely and reliably in high winds.

Propane burners work on very low pressure. That makes them naturally subject to wind.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:22 PM   #3

You need to have a surround around your burners to keep the flame steady. A 3-pc folding aluminum surround can be found... try Amazon. Some have even made one themselves.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You need to have a surround around your burners to keep the flame steady. A 3-pc folding aluminum surround can be found... try Amazon. Some have even made one themselves.
I've seen some on Amazon that look like they would work well with the Coleman stove (or some other model). The ones I've seen were more than three pieces, but they folded up very compactly for storing.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:55 PM   #5

I use an lp Coleman stove which has the surround built in. It's a 2 burner.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:07 PM   #6

WE have the Weber 1200 for grilling outside and the Blackstone small table top griddle for the rest. Not much i can't cook on either !
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:21 PM   #7

Keeping it simple (traveling with me) my preference leans towards Webers Q model grills (propane).

Some folks prefer a small smoker.

At home I have full sized Weber and a Trager Pellet Smoker.
Wrascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:29 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
I have that two burner Camp Chef, with the grill and griddle. Mine came with the wrap-around shield that TwoGypsies suggested.

I've had my setup for 6 years now, and love it. I originally bought it so I could use my big cast iron dutch ovens during the Texas drought and consequent burn bans. But I also use it for BBQ, and grilling steaks, and breakfast (eggs and pancakes!)

Speaking of dutch ovens...have you been introduced to the magic of cast iron? I do most of our dinners in dutch ovens. I've been cooking in DO's for 20 years, since we got our popup.

Last weekend's dinner - top has pomegranate chicken, the bottom a peach cobbler:
Click image for larger version

Name:	E94FCBDF-5883-4C62-B6CC-69C0824B0E2C_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	303123

Name:	18D7D5F7-99FA-4651-890E-C5D5DF883F06_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	441.9 KB
ID:	303124

Different trip - top had the desert - a blueberry dump cake, and the bottom chicken and dumplings.

Name:	6ABCE8D4-EAFE-4445-8768-747E0F111B1E_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	303125
Old 10-02-2020, 07:36 PM   #9

We prefer to cook outside as well. I've had good luck with a Partner two burner propane camp stove. It has a three sided enclosure, but will still blow out on low if there is a wind. I have also used our Solaire propane grill as both a grill and a cooktop. Unfortunately, due to its shape it can only accommodate two medium sauce pans or one large oblong skillet.

Both the camp stove and the grill have their own stands, so if the wind is howling, I try to move to the leeward side of the RV when possible. If electricity is not an issue, I'll just use a two burner Cadco hotplate and/or a Presto electric griddle.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:07 PM   #10

Coleman 2 burner gas stove, either white gas or propane. Most of the others are cheap junk. If you can find an older used one better yet. Weber Q series gas grill. For years we used both a lot. Always had them in propane so we also carried a small 2 gallon propane tank which usually lasted me most of the season.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:59 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use the Camp Chef Pro 30 and the 14" accessories, a Blackstone 17" griddle and a coleman single burner propane stove. I like the Camp Chef 30,000 btu to be able to heat a large amount of water for pasta and other things.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:04 PM   #12

I have Weber Q1000. It makes great hamburgers. As far as making anything else great, it's a gas grill and I'm a charcoal guy. But when traveling one must adapt to the rules at hand that often don't allow charcoal or wood. So the Weber is a good stout grill. I made a griddle to use in place of the grills when I want to cook breakfast. It's made of 3/16" steel plate with a drip edge. This way I have one unit to do what ever needs to be done out side. I can actually get about 5 pancakes at a time on it. I also made a little smoke generator that clips over the burner the get a little smoke to help out chicken or tri-tips when I can't use charcoal.
A gas fired grill that does rival charcoal is the Vector Smoke Hollow. Has two burners for heat and one with a tray for smoke. Very adjustable from a heat standpoint and I'd say it will make ribs, chicken, tri-tip and pulled pork bout as good as it can get.....just on a pretty small scale....if you're into smoked Qing that is.
And a Dutch Oven is a real fun thing to have too.

Name:	Griddle 1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	303216

Name:	Griddle 2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	440.7 KB
ID:	303217
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
I have that two burner Camp Chef, with the grill and griddle. Mine came with the wrap-around shield that TwoGypsies suggested.

I've had my setup for 6 years now, and love it. I originally bought it so I could use my big cast iron dutch ovens during the Texas drought and consequent burn bans. But I also use it for BBQ, and grilling steaks, and breakfast (eggs and pancakes!)
If you're talking about the wrap-around shield that Camp Chef includes with some of their stoves, I have one, but it doesn't see to work that well for me. I also have begun to find the stove somewhat big and bulky and hard to get out of my storage bay. I also have that grill box (thermometer stopped working and the box doesn't seem to seat on the stove if the wind shield is in use) and that griddle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
Speaking of dutch ovens...have you been introduced to the magic of cast iron? I do most of our dinners in dutch ovens. I've been cooking in DO's for 20 years, since we got our popup.

Last weekend's dinner - top has pomegranate chicken, the bottom a peach cobbler:
Attachment 303123

Attachment 303124

Different trip - top had the desert - a blueberry dump cake, and the bottom chicken and dumplings.
Attachment 303125
I have used cast iron in a way similar to your photos but haven't done so in years. I still have several pieces of cast iron cookware, though.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:30 PM   #14

Here is how to make your own windscreen:

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking, door, outdoor