Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #1

Oven versus convection microwave

We are looking a purchasing a used mh. It does not have an oven but a convection microwave. It was brought to my attention if you are not connected to shore power you won't be able to use the mv. Would you be able to use the oven while boondocking.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes with the generator
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #3

Gen set will power the C/microwave , but you have to balance the power output , by not trying to use A/C at the same time.
On the other hand , running the gen set if cooking is all that your doing is , perhaps a little much, unless you time your cooking to the times you need the batteries charged.
Just a thought.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
We would not have an RV without a convection microwave. We have cooked all kinds of items such as fresh berry pies and many other items. Also, the generator will run the oven just fine. If you are near people where that is not possible, then we simply use the charcoal grill. When even that is not possible, we eat salads and stuff which can be fixed on the propane stove such as spaghetti.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #5

We had a fiver with the gas oven. We like to throw in a roast or chicken and bake for hours on low. Especially in cold weather. Smells good and no noise. Hard to do with the convection microwave. Even on shore power you have the noise of the conv oven. We boondock most of the time and I hate to run the geny for hours just to bake a bird. In hot weather it really doesn't matter as our geny runs almost 24/7 anyway. Kind of wish we had both, but we get by with the conv microwave. Just do less roasting now.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can also get a portable camp oven. Here is an oven only

Camp Chef Portable Outdoor Oven

and here is a complete range

Camp Chef Portable Outdoor Oven with Cooktop

We bought the one with the cook top. It is very handy for group outings. We do most of our boondocking in Arizona, so it is an advantage to keep the heat outside.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
When Boondocking in hot weather and running a generator 24/7. Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to stay at a Full Hook up Passport America campground?

I hate my convection microwave for the noise. I bought a toaster oven that does all my baking and broiling in quite.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
When Boondocking in hot weather and running a generator 24/7. Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to stay at a Full Hook up Passport America campground?

I hate my convection microwave for the noise. I bought a toaster oven that does all my baking and broiling in quite.
Yes probably somewhat cheaper to stay at a campground in the summer time. I never check my gas mileage anymore. But running the geny does make it worse. Wintertime it is cheaper to boondock as the geny only runs about two hours a day. But we like to stay where we want, not miles away at a campground. It's all about convenience. And staying in one spot is way cheaper then traveling. When parked the V10 does great on gas.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post

You have been full timing a long time. You could probably write a book, on the does and don'ts of this lifestyle. We usually don't go for over 5 or 6 days at a time. Probably cheaper to stay in a nice hotel, but we like the RV better. When I fuel up I might look at the gallons, but never the price. And never get a recite. Time I get back in the MH I have usually forgotten the gallons. Besides the higher the fuel prices are, the more money I make as we produce crude oil for a living, for over 40 years now.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
One of my bigger disappointments in our recent upgrade is the fact that we have the convection/microwave oven and not the separate units. My wife cooks in the motorhome almost like being at home. I miss the quiet operation and convenience of the gas oven. Brian
B Willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #11

Got a convection oven in the stick and brick about 15 years and loved it.
Got the convection oven in the coach before this one and loved it.

Convection cooks faster and browns nicer than a regular oven can so why wouldn't you want it? (See the one answer I have at the end of the post)

BTW, most of my roasting (from chickens to prime rib) is done outside on the rotisserie, it keeps the smell and heat from permeating the coach while producing equal or sometimes better results than a convection oven can. We only use the convection oven for baking or quick roasting of fish, veges, potatoes, etc.

Once you begin to use it you will find the results are superior, just like induction is much superior to your propane stove. You will also enjoy the extra storage space but that's just an added bonus.

HOWEVER, convections biggest flaw, if you can call it that, is the need for lots of electricity and if I was doing a lot of boon-docking then I would probably want a propane stove. So it all boils down to how you use your coach and your personal needs and desire.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #12

I can only say my convection oven works great as for the stove and oven in 8 years they have never been turned on.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have had both over the years. I agree Rooster, never ever used the propane oven, pots and pans were stored in there!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #14

We don't.have an oven, and my wife wants it that way, so much so, that we installed a dishwasher where an oven would be. We don't notice any noise issue with our unit, maybe the two front slides moves the convection oven far enough away.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote