Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2022, 12:41 PM   #15

Same here, with my 400AH of LiFePo4 batteries and PD9260C, where I get around 58 amps when in boost mode.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2022, 02:45 PM   #16

Thanks!

Thanks guys, much appreciate the replies. Always learning!
I'm happy to hear the PD can charge lithium. That saves and helps on the decision to go lithium and add some solar for next year.

Happy camping!
victor D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:34 PM   #17

Actually question for the two fellas with the lithium batteries on the pd9260. Do you trickle charge the battery over winter like you do lead acid?
I have a 5 amp trickle charger that i hook up to my batteries during the winter. Should I be doing something like that with lithium? I see that renogy has a sale on their 200ah lithium which I'm considering. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2022, 12:14 AM   #18

What I do is set the PD9260 to 13.2V storage mode whenever I know I will not be using the coach for even a short a while, with the wizard pendant which I mounted next to my inverter control panel inside the coach by adding a 10 ft extension and correct size modular coupler and running the wire up through the floor from the electrical bay below.

If I know we are potentially planning on using the coach in the next few days, while I am at the coach, doing pre-trip checkout, loading groceries, etc. (I store the coach in a shed with electrical hookups on the family cattle ranch about 15 miles from our house) I will put the PD9260 back into bulk charging mode to top off the LiFePo4 batteries.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor D View Post
Actually question for the two fellas with the lithium batteries on the pd9260. Do you trickle charge the battery over winter like you do lead acid?
I have a 5 amp trickle charger that i hook up to my batteries during the winter. Should I be doing something like that with lithium? I see that renogy has a sale on their 200ah lithium which I'm considering. Thanks!
Many LFP batteries do not charge under freezing conditions. Check to see if your battery's BMS disables charging when it is too cold. Otherwise, you should be fine to just leave LFP batteries for the winter with no charging (but completely disconnected) as they have a much lower loss rate than LA. It doesn't hurt to leave them charging all winter with a lithium aware charger (I use NoCo) in your garage if that is what you used to do with LA batteries.
darrellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:03 AM   #20

Quote:
I leave my MH unplugged in my driveway while I'm not using it. I turn off the main switch so only have a small draw on the coach batteries. So my batteries lose less than 10% SOC per month. Since I run the generator monthly, I use that opportunity to recharge the batteries up to about 70% SOC if needed. To do that I use the charge wizard pendant to put the converter into bulk charge mode (14.4V) while the generator is running. If I don't need any charging of the batteries, I make sure the charge wizard is in storage mode (13.2V) and I either get no charging or very slow. I choose a day when the temp is above freezing if I need to charge the batteries since they won't charge (BMS inhibits charging) below freezing.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:14 AM   #21

On the freezing issue, my LiFePo4 batteries are installed inside the living space of the coach, they have low temperature disconnect in the BMS, and I keep the coach in an enclosed shed in a climate where I don't need to winterize as long as I maintain some heat inside the coach, so on the occasional sub freezing day in the winter I leave an electric cube heater running on low in the coach, which is enough to keep the temperatures inside well above freezing, with the propane furnace set to come on at 50F in case of a power outage.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Most LiPO4 drop in battery manufactures recommend no trickle charging. Recommended storage is sometimes to fully charge, then fully disconnect (no parasitic loads). Fully recharge before reaching 6 months of storage. See manufactures recommendations.

One high quality manufacturer voids the warranty if not recharged every 6 months.

Use the trickle charger to maintain the lead acid engine start battery.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:01 AM   #23

I would like to see the exact wording of what they say, as there is a big difference between not needing to be float charged and to no float charging. From what I have read, optimal life is accomplished by maintaining a mid level state of charge circa 50%
Old 06-26-2022, 08:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I would like to see the exact wording of what they say, as there is a big difference between not needing to be float charged and to no float charging. From what I have read, optimal life is accomplished by maintaining a mid level state of charge circa 50%
LiPO4 batteries have increase service life if stored around 50% SoC. However, it is all dependent on the electronics being used to control the Li cells.

Drop in batteries have an internal battery management system. They are not all the same, but they all use a little power all the time. Some use more than others.

See manufacturer's recommendations. If your manufacturer does not publish extensive specifications, you should choose a different manufacturer next time.
Old 06-26-2022, 02:32 PM   #25

That still did not answer the question of seeing this advice not to float charge
Old 06-27-2022, 10:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
That still did not answer the question of seeing this advice not to float charge
Your distrust of internet experts is justified. Good advice is often mixed with bad.

Of course you can trickle charge your own LiPO4 batteries. Very few knowledgeable people will trickle charge their own LiPO4.

Actually the answer posted previously does answer your question. See what manufacturers say by talking directly with them or looking it up on their websites.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:05 PM   #27

couple camping trips in - have some ideas but advice would be appreciated:)

So we just got back from a one week'r at Haynes point here in BC(on the outside loop for those folks that have been there before).

It was 38degrees C(100F) most days so the trailer got pretty hot.
Unfortunately, a big branch happened to be right over our solar panel so we were getting minimal charging during the day. No worries I figured as I had my new PD9260 with the charge wizard during geny time.

Unfortunately, with our inverter use and lack of solar charging, we were prob in the -10 Amp hr net usage over 24 hours. I made it work over the 6 nights however any longer would have been an issue. The fan was very important for the kids to sleep at night which is our biggest drain source.

My question to the folks is what would be the best next thing to do(other than increasing solar panels).

Changing guage of wire from charge controller to batteries?
I think that would require dropping that plastic floor shield thing that covers the bottom of the trailer which I have no experience doing. I am willing to try however.

I could also move the charge controller to my front where the batteries are, but then I believe I would still have to run wires back to the 12V panel? That part intimidates me a bit as I'm not an electrician.

Currently have two deep cycle 225Ahr interstates, 180W solar panel and upgraded to the PD9260 60 amp.

At this point, I'm trying to keep costs down as everything is so pricey these days.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-25-2022, 06:32 PM   #28

add a folding panel to your charge controller and piggyback the roof panels. Most charge controllers can deal with peak solar and reject any extra current not used. Just don't over voltage your charge controller. find a similar voltage output panel or the same panel as the roof has and lay it flat or angle it when you under the trees.

Tags
test