RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-27-2020, 12:12 PM   #1

Pilot Flying J

Newbie here,
Driving my Class C cross country for the first time and am putting in some long back-to-back days.
Exploring option of utilizing RV parking at Pilot/Flying J.
Has anyone had any experiencing staying at RV parking space at a Pilot/Flying J?
Are the RV spaces marked?
Do they tend to fill up?
BenDover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2020, 12:18 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have stayed at several. They are marked and are in the front by the gas pumps. They do tend to fill up early. A lot of commercial over the road vans tend to park in them. They are usually pull through and very convenient.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:22 PM   #3

Great option for a rest. But, bring ear plugs.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:12 PM   #4

I spent one night in one, I might do it again some day, but don't expect to sleep well. The one where I spent the night was a busy Flying J in Jacksonville, FL, I had just bought my current coach and was driving it home from buying it the day before, just needing a place to stop and sleep for a bit. This particular location did not have RV parking spaces, or at least I did not see them, being in a short class A, I was able to back into the standard parking spaces and overhang the curb near the gas pumps up front. I arrived at around sunset, and over the course of the evening most of the rest of these standard perimeter parking spaces filled up with bobtail semi trucks backed in each taking about 1 1/2 spaces, these were lined up on each side of me for at least the next 3-4 spaces, all with engines or APU's running all night as the temperature was in the low 80's F. Of course I had my generator running also. The worst part was every hour or two throughout the night some truck driver would blow his air horn as he was pulling out. I don't know how much sleep I managed, but it was not much.

On the topic of the RV parking spaces I have seen at other Flying J locations, there are often far from level, which is important if you have an RV style absorption refrigerator, and they also tend to get filled up with all sorts of vehicles that don't need the extra space, even just regular cars and trucks.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:19 PM   #5

I have my RV stored north of Jacksonville and when I am working on it, I tend to stay overnight at the local Pilot - and b/c I need supplies, usually parked at Lowes buying the cabinet wood for the interior and other parts.

The good: Nobody cares if you have your generator running all night. The bad: They will have theirs running too.... And Reefer trucks make the most noise of all!

Different truck stops will have different space options available - Loves and Petro are also reasonable options, and you may wish to consider the paid parking ($15 at Pilot / FJ) so you have a guaranteed space. As far as the spaces and etiquette - only put out a slide (if you have one) where it is over a curb or other obstacle, not into another space. Try to park VERY FAR from the building, leave the closer spots for the truckers or the bobtails which likely will be in the "rv" spaces anyway.

Freshwater is available in the truck lanes as well as on the fuel islands.... Potable should not be utilized near the dump station (if they have one) for obvious reasons. Some Petro stations have a free dump. Same for Loves, some are free. Some of the Pilots have a free dump if the catch is broken.

Travel safe!
Old 09-28-2020, 05:14 AM   #6

Yes. They are very convenient, and always fill up fast. It is best to get in early. Sometimes their RV parking areas can be a little tight, so I look up the place on a satellite image to make sure I won't have to unhook my toad.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:35 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you haven't already, download the RVParky app. There are many more options for overnight parking than FJ. I've stayed at FJ's with RV parking in the front, but they're still loud, IMHO.

Right now, a great option is staying at Walmarts. Most of them, including the 24 hour stores, close at 8 PM. During our snowbird trip home this Spring, we found Walmarts to be the most quiet ever.

Your profile shows you have a 33 foot Class C. Do you tow a vehicle? If not, then Cracker Barrels are another good option.

Many WM's and CB's are located just off highways, so easy on-off. The app is easily configured to show only what type of place that you select, including campgrounds and Flying J's.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:17 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for the great information.
I have not heard about ďpaid parkingĒ at Pilot/Flying J. I will definitely look into that.
Will also download the RVPkwy app.
I will also make sure I bring the earplugs
Yíall rock!
BenDover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:27 PM   #9

I have used Flying J for 5 years as my overnight stop, probably 20 times by now.

Paid parking at Flying J is in the back for trucks.

If the RV spots are full, pull along the curb using a few spaces.

Download the Pilot Flying J app for RVs, and while trip planning, click on RV friendly stations. Once you pick a place, use goggle maps to look at the parking lot for the long spaces marked RV.

To spend the night in a free Truck Stop and complain about the noise is just wrong. What did you expect.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:58 PM   #10

Maybe that people would not blow air horns in the parking lot at 2 am
Old 09-28-2020, 02:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I'm curious - was this the location on the west side of the 295 beltway? That one is frequented by local drivers, and one of the smaller locations.

I'm surprised about the air horns, that's not a usual experience and I've stayed at a LOT of truck stops when traveling. There may have been some unusual traffic happening (swift drivers who don't know how to drive!) b/c most of the drivers I've seen are either closed off (curtains up) or getting back to work and have no reason to blow the air horn. Certainly not just as a "I'm leaving" kind of signal! That's just rude to all the other drivers.

Now if there's a safety reason, then yes, horns are going to blow.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:41 PM   #12

We use Flying J all the time when travelling day to day.
The spaces do fill up fast and not always by other RV's.
Long haul drivers with tractors only are parking out front now and many of the regular RV spaces are being rented out for the night to truckers!
Some places like Jackson GA have reconfigured the parking lot to accommodate 12-15 tractors on a long term lease!
Still, Flying J is a great option on travel days, and be sure to fuel up and get propane before leaving as a thank you.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I must sleep thru that, never heard it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:38 PM   #14

Yes, it was the one just north of I-10 on I-295, during the few hours I was there, air horns were blown 4-5 times total.