Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2021, 10:14 AM   #1

Pilot Knob 14 day area

We are heading to Yuma, AZ in about a week and will be staying there for a couple of days. The last time we went there we drove to the Felicity area planning to stay at the Pilot Knob 14 day area, but never could find it. We did find the Pilot Knob LTVA camping area and, since we could not find the free area, paid the $42 for a couple of nights.

When we were there we drove along the frontage road trying to find the dirt road to the 14 day area, but there was only a dirt berm and a fence where the gps said the road to the area should have been. We then went down the gravel road next to the LTVA area, which our gps said would take us to another road to the 14 day area but stopped when we got to the No Camping Beyond This Point sign.

Has anyone been to the Pilot Knob 14 day area lately? And, if so, how did you get there? If we have to I will again pay the $42 but the 14 day area, if it still exists, is free and further from the train crossing so it should be quieter. We would rather not listen to the train whistle during the night if we can avoid it.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2021, 04:45 PM   #2

https://www.campendium.com/pilot-knob-14-day-area

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/ind...ic=60561.0;wap

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:34 PM   #3

If pilot knob doesn't work the next exit west is Ogilby Rd. Go N and N of the tracks, near American Girl Mine Rd. to boondock. Free.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:23 AM   #4

Thanks for these.

I had already looked at compendium.com but when I followed my gps to get to the 14 day area it took me down the paved road and, as the comments in your second link mention, you can not get there from the paved road.

One comment at that link said that a payment at one of the LTVA is good for 2 weeks at any LTVA, and that is something I did not know. I thought it was only good at that single area. We are heading to Quartzsite after Yuma and will be boondocking, but not at the LTVA area as that place is packed during the RV show. Instead we will stay at the area a bit further south off the road to La Paz Valley. That is 14 day boondocking, is free and is far less crowded than the LTVA area.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
If pilot knob doesn't work the next exit west is Ogilby Rd. Go N and N of the tracks, near American Girl Mine Rd. to boondock. Free.
I did see that at Campendium.com and thought I would take a look. It seems far enough away so that perhaps we won't hear the train whistle when the train passes over Sidewinder Rd, but I don't know what the road into and out of the area looks like.

I assume I will first try American Girl Mine Rd and if there is any issue then go to Pilot Knob. We did find that if we go all the way back and as far west as we can at Pilot Knob the train whistle is not too bad. Still annoying, but not loud enough to blast us out of bed at night.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:00 AM   #6

I winter in Yuma and Jeep in most of these areas. The state closed their Foothills property for camping a couple of years ago. If you go to Goldwater Bomb Range and get a pass you can camp at the south end of Fortuna Dr but they allow only 4 campers. The VFW on Hwy 95 is very popular but gets crowded at times. Senator wash is the same. Taking I 8 into Cali gives you good boondocking off Sidewinder and Ogilby. Be careful with some of the soft sand areas or you may stay longer than you plan. Access roads are good. There are multiple small areas off Hwy 95 going north on Ave 7E. The road turns into gravel, slow travel is OK. I guess I'd recommend the American Girl or the VFW. I'd be careful of soft sand at either Pilot Knob or Sidewinder. If you are set on Pilot Knob, go all the way south to the end of the pavement then take your first right. What ever you do, don't try to get to Picacho State Park north of Winterhaven. Very pretty place but not an RV friendly road. If you want quiet though and if you can handle 4-5 miles of bumpy gravel there are multiple boondock sites on Picacho Rd. Not a place for big rigs.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:18 PM   #7

Here's a good view with photos of Ogilby area:

https://wheelingit.us/2011/12/14/boo...untyyuma-caaz/

They have other posts on the Yuma area. Good writings with photos.

Our favorite place is Mittry Lake on Yuma 7E. Water; trees; quiet. It used to be free 14-days. We parked up on the hill from the Colorado River. We were with a group at past Christmas times and cooked our turkey outside. Fun.

https://azcampguide.com/arizona-camp...wildlife-area/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote