RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-27-2020, 08:33 AM   #1

Portable generator

Going to be dry camping for 12-days .

Thinking of getting a 2200w portable generator for daytime hours, just to keep the batts charged and run the fridge and portable domestic fridge/freezer.

Anyone using these and having good or bad luck. I did this with our large houseboat and didnít have an issue.

Thnx.
gweedo295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2020, 08:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweedo295 View Post
Going to be dry camping for 12-days .

Thinking of getting a 2200w portable generator for daytime hours, just to keep the batts charged and run the fridge and portable domestic fridge/freezer.

Anyone using these and having good or bad luck. I did this with our large houseboat and didnít have an issue.

Thnx.
I use a Harbor Freight 2000i Generator Inverter when using my truck camper and a HFT 3500i when using the motor home.
ZERO issues with either unit and super quiet.
My son and I have over ten HFT Predator engines running on various equipment and ALL have run flawlessly.
With any small engine, changing and using good oil is the key.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:04 AM   #3

We use the Honda 2200i which is the newer version of the 2000i, no trouble at all so long as you carefully follow the 100 hour oil change schedule. We only run it a couple of hours a day tho mainly to run the microwave and a couple of hours in the evening for my wife the TV addict. That keeps the batteries charged.

Is that a standard RV fridge that runs off propane?

We have used the Champion 3500 inverter and that works OK but is a little louder, they have smaller versions but I have not used one. Whatever you get make sure it is an inverter generator.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:09 AM   #4

I'v had a Honda eu2000 since 2010, sitting on my salt water boats bridge. I used it for backup battery charging.
The new owner started it yesterday, after 2 years, runs great.

They hold up well in all conditions.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:02 PM   #5

Iím concerned more with having enough power. I used the Hondaís n they were great. Since I only boon-dock a few times A year I just wanted to make certain no damage could occur to the motors home.

Iíll only use it to keep batteries charged, run my dometic gas/elect fridge n my basement portable dometic fridge/freezer combo. I donít think there is an issue, once everything is cold the start up surge is much lower.

Iím looking to purchase the newer generac 2200 that comes with extra stuff. Compares to the Honda 2200., but about $400 less. I know the Honda is tried n true but generac is generators. Iíve had two home models n they worked awesome.

Just getting opinions. Thnx again
Old 10-02-2020, 06:18 PM   #6

I have 2 of the Honda 2000i that we got for our 5th wheel 10 years ago. We use them in the MH now. I normally fill one and let it run all day to charge batteries, keep fridge cold and watch TV. By night its empty and stuff i charged and ready to go.
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:39 PM   #7

Keep in mind that most late model transfer switches and EMS systems will read an open ground when hooked to a remote generator and the transfer switch will not engage in the Shore Power mode. There is a simple modifications that you can do to ďfoolĒ your switch into thinking that the generator is grounded. My 2007 coach ran fine on my Honda 2000 but my 2014 would not until I fooled it, then it worked fine.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:38 AM   #8

Thank you for the responses, I decided to go with the Honda 2200, I can pair two of these. tried and true. appreciate all the info. stay safe and happy travels!
Old 10-08-2020, 06:46 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Hondas are good, maybe best, yamaha are nice too.. HF models good , champion cube still.. all quiet and work.. I have had luck with ryobi 2200. I have 2, no issues other than clogged spark screen that happens to ALL..

oops see you have chossen,, ..goodluck, enjoy
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator