Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2015, 04:04 PM   #43

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Honda, Yahama and SELECTED OTHER MAKES of inverter generators are specifically designed to work in tandem so you can parallel two of them and get more power

NOT ALL inverter generators are that well designed.

Contractor Generators and other non-inverter generators are not so designed.

Try to parallel two traditional (NON_INVERTER) units and...well it can get A: Very impressive and B: Very expensive.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2015, 08:50 AM   #44

I finally got to parallel my two Honda EU2000's last weekend to run the A/C. I think they are a great set up with the option to only run one for everything but the A/C. They were a little louder and run faster than I hoped they would but the EU 3000 that a couple friends had going seemed to be about as loud. The smaller generator set is easier to move and set up, IMO. I made a generator cage that mounts to the receiver hitch that covers both generators and is lockable so they don't walk off on their own and it worked great. It even doubles as a firewood hauler.
rlwithrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:29 PM   #45

Some great info here. Im in the market for my first generator. Buddy has a Honda 3000 that he swears by. Im thinking of doing two smaller gens in parallel for ease of mobility. I saw camping world carries powertech and/or champion. Any thoughts on these?
Old 06-16-2015, 06:59 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Some great info here. Im in the market for my first generator. Buddy has a Honda 3000 that he swears by. Im thinking of doing two smaller gens in parallel for ease of mobility. I saw camping world carries powertech and/or champion. Any thoughts on these?
I haven't heard of Powertech, but the Champion 3100 has received good reviews and would be my choice at around $800 on sale.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:58 AM   #47

Just a note on the Champion 3100.

I EMailed Champion, to clarify their noise rating and there response was, their db rating was at zero load.

Other manufactures list the db rating at 1/4 and full load.

Be an informed shopper.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:34 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
I haven't heard of Powertech, but the Champion 3100 has received good reviews and would be my choice at around $800 on sale.

Well, I couldnt help myself. The mobility of two small gennies were too enticing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Just a note on the Champion 3100.

I EMailed Champion, to clarify their noise rating and there response was, their db rating was at zero load.

Other manufactures list the db rating at 1/4 and full load.

Be an informed shopper.

Thank you. Makes me glad I went with dual Hondas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1434465192457.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	97410  
Old 06-17-2015, 10:04 AM   #49

Quote:
Well, I couldnt help myself. The mobility of two small gennies were too enticing.

Thank you. Makes me glad I went with dual Hondas
Curious why if you went with 2 you didn't get the companion version with the built in 30 amp connector?

Good luck and happy power generating!

UD
Uncle Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #50

Really like my Honda 2000's. Problem you will find is that they are hard to put gas in and keep from over flowing them. I bought this little gas pump that will syphon gas out of a can and give you great flow control. The gas cap is large but the filler neck is small and deep and hard to tell when you are getting close to full.
Scepter Flo N' Go Super Flo Siphon Pump, EPA Approved - Tractor Supply Co.
rlwithrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
Curious why if you went with 2 you didn't get the companion version with the built in 30 amp connector?

Good luck and happy power generating!

UD
One is the companion.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #52

Quote:
One is the companion.
Sweet - my old eyes betray me.

Mine had a sticker on the side that said "companion" It doesn't seem to be on all of them.

UD
Uncle Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:26 PM   #53

Note: The noise level on the Champion 3100 does not change unless you demand more than 1000 watts of power (ie. Microwave etc) then the sound level does increase but still not loud enough to be disturbing. As you read dba ratings keep in mind that the average dba sound level on the streets of New York City is in excess of 100dba and normal conservation exceeds 60dba.
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:35 PM   #54

I have been working our Champion 3100 this season at the race track. It will only power one air conditioner, which has been dandy for us thus far. if you need the microwave, you need to turn off the air con. We can run the air con with a battery charger, and the converter of course, and I even had the oil heater on the race car running. Running the air con for me has meant taking it off of economy mode. One time running economy it set the overload on the generator when the air con kicked in. During the day the air is almost always running anyhow.
I wouldn't put it as quiet as the Hondas, but way way quieter than most of the others that you run into. Our neighbor wasn't bothered by it, and in fact commented on how quiet it is. It is decent on fuel, and is a fraction of the price of other inverter generators. Works for me!
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #55

Do you have a hard start capacitor on the ac ? Makes a big difference if you want to run the genny in econ mode.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:58 AM   #56

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwithrow View Post
Really like my Honda 2000's. Problem you will find is that they are hard to put gas in and keep from over flowing them. I bought this little gas pump that will syphon gas out of a can and give you great flow control. The gas cap is large but the filler neck is small and deep and hard to tell when you are getting close to full.
Scepter Flo N' Go Super Flo Siphon Pump, EPA Approved - Tractor Supply Co.
Get this gas cap and hook them up to outboard motor tank. Honda has a fuel pump. Others similar gens do not. Will run 24 hours at full load. Easy to put gas in the outboard tank when it is 10 feet away.
http://www.amazon.com/EXTENDED-FUEL-...erator+gas+cap

Tags
generator