Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #1

Portable Water Tanks

We will be heading out the first of April for 7 months of camping and we are looking for a way to refill the fresh water tank in the MH while parked without hookups. Some where I saw a post where a small bilge pump was added to one of the 5 gallon water tanks like the ones sold at Walmart but do not remember the name of the pump or how it worked. If anyone has any ideal I would love to hear them. Having a bad back I can not lift the tanks up to the water fill.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Xfer pump

I would think just about any transfer pump would fit the bill. Northern and Home Depot/Lowes have 'em. If you trust the source...

Wayne 115 Volt Transfer Pump — 340 GPH, Model# PC2 | Utility Pumps| Northern Tool + Equipment

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:11 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I use this water bladder from Camp World.
Portable RV Fresh Water Tank: 45 Gallon - New World CW1605 - Fresh Water Tanks - Camping World

.....and a this marine 12volt pump from Harbor Freight
12 Volt Marine Utility Water Pump

Transfer of 45 gallons of water takes about 10 minutes with this pump. If you have a generator, you might also consider using a pump like this one.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wayne-1-1...-PC2/100047107
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:14 PM   #4

Google "little giant pump". I have one and have used it for a variety of applications, including filling collapsible water jugs and, using the pump in a collapsible bucket, and empty the jugs into the bucket to fill through the RV's city water inlet. I carry 4 x 5 gal jugs so I can transport 20 gal at once.

There are a variety of pumps for this application and a variety of bladders that can be used.

If I can get my RV close enough so my water hose will reach, (I carry 150' of hose and about the same amount of an extention cord), I have pumped directly from the water source, such as a lake, spring or stream. A 12v pump is also a good option if you can get power close enough to the water source. You can push water much further than you can pull water.

You can also use the pump to wash the RV as long as you have a water source.

Good luck.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 50 gallon tank. I use a extra 12 volt RV pump which I run via my Toad Battery. If I am traveling without my big tank I can use a portable 5 gal can.
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #6

I've used the exact setup simonsrf uses for years. It work well.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:45 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Mayer View Post
I've used the exact setup simonsrf uses for years. It work well.
We don't have extra space to carry extra hoses or large water containers. The bladder folds to a very convenient size and stores away easily.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsrf View Post
We don't have extra space to carry extra hoses or large water containers. The bladder folds to a very convenient size and stores away easily.
Which is why I use the 45 gallon bladder, and a supplemental 5 gallon bladder for daily fills if we are near water. When boondocking for long periods we always carry the 5 gallon bladder with us and top it up on every occasion. That cuts way down on use of the 45 gallon bladder. We pump both bladders since we do not have a gravity feed on this coach. The pump serves as a spare for the coach and takes up virtually zero space. Both bladders folded up fit in a single bag like you see people carrying around at shows.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsrf View Post
I use this water bladder from Camp World.
Portable RV Fresh Water Tank: 45 Gallon - New World CW1605 - Fresh Water Tanks - Camping World

.....and a this marine 12volt pump from Harbor Freight
12 Volt Marine Utility Water Pump

Transfer of 45 gallons of water takes about 10 minutes with this pump. If you have a generator, you might also consider using a pump like this one.

Wayne 1/10 HP Portable Transfer Utility Pump-PC2 at The Home Depot
That's smart!
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
With my unit I have a hose that is uses the onboard pump to pump antifreeze thru the system to winterize the unit. Why can't this hose be hooked up to say the Camping World portable water tank that way there's no need for an additional pump.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #11

I have a couple of these Rule Pump in Line 500 12V Kit IL500PK | eBay

They are great because they fit into the hole on a five gallon carruer, or in the bung hole on a 55 gallon barrel.

I also have used them to obtain wash water from a lake, and have another one dedicated to the transfer of Diesel, which I buy at 10 gallons at a time while stopped so I don't have to enter a fill-up station.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:32 PM   #12

We bought a new 55 gal barrel for $35 and I put a hose bib on one of the bungs. We lay it on its side and fill it. We gravity feed the trailer to top off the tanks.
OregonTRX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:24 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I've been RVing fulltime for 8 years and I don't have extra room to carry around a 55 gallon barrel....or want to when I have the simple option of folding the 45 gallon water container to the size of a shoe box.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:08 AM   #14

Here is an alternative I came up with because I also have a bad back.
I bought a 4 step folding step ladder. The top step has a platform type step. I take my blue wally world water tanks (2 of them) in the pickup to get them filled and when I return to the camper, I pull along side the water fill. Put the step ladder in the bed of the truck and put the water tank on the platform. This is above the water fill inlet height and then I just use a siphon hose to get it started and let it fill.

So my only lift is a straight up and to the platform and then I don't have to hold it in place or worry about running a pump or electrical connections. Has worked wonderfully for the past 3 seasons without fail.

Just an idea for what I found as a simpler solution to your problem.
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water