Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #1

powdered milk

need some help from all of you. when boomdocking i might be able to stay out for 1 month before having to come to town. are any of you using powered milk ? if so what brand ? any suggestions please.
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #2

We like to bdock, but not to the point of using powdered milk, when we actually NEED it.
Route 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #3

If I am down to powdered milk, I'm packing up up and going home. NOTHING can make that stuff taste good. Blech!!!
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too would not use powdered milk save perhaps in bread making, and I stopped using it in bread making a long, long time ago,,,, Found out it's cheaper to use liquid milk believe it or not.

Take a towed, make the trip to town

An alternative.. There is something called "Ultrapasturized" milk, You can find it if you look for it, Generally specality milks like lactaid will be UP. (But I can not guarantee it) UP milk will keep several months sitting on a shelf. But more expensive then regular milk by the gallon, but then so is powdered.. And once chilled. it is Milk, it does not "Taste like Milk" It **IS** milk, 100% natural milk Just like the gallon jug.

Here is a link to one brand of UP milk:
http://www.horizondairy.com/products...late-milk-box/

NOW. In searching for this I found an alarmist web site, I happen to have done additional research into some of the claims this site made.. All the ones I have looked into have been proven false.

He speaks of a link between milk and autoimmune diseases.. Study after study has tried, and failed, to confirm such a link.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #5

When we lived on a ketch (sailboat), that was what we had most. Sometimes we bought Carnation and sometimes another that I do not recall. What I do recall and very well is that it was much better if it was mixed the night before and let stand in the ice chest (refrigerator that used a block of pond ice).

Matt
Old 01-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #6

We keep powdered milk in the RV when we know we might be several miles from any kind of store. When allowed to sit in the frig a day after mixing, it doesn't taste bad to us; of course it doesn't taste like real milk, more like non-fat milk.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
A friend we are boondocking with uses Morning Moo's available on Amazon at at Walmart.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Powdered milk, no.

But, Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Vanilla - Unsweetened almond milk does not have to be refrigerated until opened. Once opened it's good for 2 weeks.
See:
Blue Diamond Growers : Our Products : Almond Breeze® : Unsweetened

Tastes alot like milk has better nutrition and stays good in storage for months.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Powdered milk, no.

But, Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Vanilla - Unsweetened almond milk does not have to be refrigerated until opened. Once opened it's good for 2 weeks.
See:
Blue Diamond Growers : Our Products : Almond Breeze® : Unsweetened

Tastes alot like milk has better nutrition and stays good in storage for months.
Unless you're allergic to tree nuts like I am. I carry epinephrin pens to counteract it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #10

New Horizons Owners Club
Almost all the milk sold in Great Britain is ultra pasteurized. They call it shelf milk and it is OK to use for several weeks but must be refrigerated after opening.
chaunclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:25 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Buy organic milk. It often has 5-6 weeks until it expires. And it's better for you. I assume it is ultra pasteurized. Same taste, a bit more expensive, but cheaper than a trip to town.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:44 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use powdered milk for coffee and making pancakes. I usually buy the store brand of the grocery store that I am in. If it is not available, then I buy Carnation.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #13

For long desert trips, general storage space is limited as is refrigerator space, but water reserves are good - so it makes sense to use powdered milk rather than either fresh or UHT milk.

As for the UHT product - I reckon that powdered milk actually tastes far better than UHT. Obviously depends on the brand of both, but quality powdered milk beats any UHT according to my tastebuds.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Buy organic milk. It often has 5-6 weeks until it expires. And it's better for you. I assume it is ultra pasteurized. Same taste, a bit more expensive, but cheaper than a trip to town.
I noticed the association between organic milk and long expiration dates a long time ago, and then figured out it was actually the ultra pasteurization that produces the long expiration date, not the fact that it's organic.

I noticed, however, that in Denver, organic milk (like Horizon and other brands) does NOT have the long expiration dates, and it is not labeled as ultra pasteurized. So not all organic milk is ultra pasteurized, or at least not in Denver for some reason.

Since I'm not going to pay $4/half gallon for milk that's going to expire in a week (I like to keep at least two half gallons--one open and one or more in waiting), I bought the King Soopers brand of regular milk and it tasted like it had already gone bad even when it was brand new. This happened twice, so I think it's just how that milk tastes. I don't know...there's something different about milk in Denver. That's the only place I've encountered organic milk with short expiration dates from all manufacturers (except Costco--their milk is the same as in all other Costcos).

I also recently noticed that regular, non-organic milk in the Seattle area was ultra pasteurized and therefore had a long expiration date. And since it was not organic, it wasn't incredibly expensive--a half gallon ran about $2.00.

I keep a couple of the little Horizon milk boxes (mentioned upthread) around in case I ever don't have milk and want some for cereal, but at $1/each, that's some pretty pricy milk. Also, I don't like they way it tastes for drinking. It might be that it's 2% and I generally buy either non-fat or 1%, but I don't think regular 2% milk tastes bad. And I do drink the Horizon cold, so that's not it. I also don't like Parmalat. Maybe just something about the shelf-stable milks that I don't like.

Can't help the OP on the powdered milk question--I can't stand drinking it and don't think it's just because I haven't found the right brand or let it sit overnight. I use it in the bread machine so it's always on hand and even when boondocking for weeks at a time, I've never touched it, even for cereal.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote