Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2019, 06:54 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry043 View Post
We do a lot of dry camping in the winter in Key West, don't always need the airconditioning, so we do have 2 Honda 2000s that we run in parallel and they handle everything as long as the battery bank is charged.
I know this is off subject but the above peaked my interest. I have checked out camping in Key West in winter. It didn't appear possible except at designated campgrounds that were apporaching triple digit nightly rates.

We have a 32' 5th wheel and a CC long bed truck, makes it 50' overall hooked up. Are there any spots that we can fit in for either boondocking or lower camping rates, no services required?
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 08:32 AM   #142

Retired Military

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I know this is off subject but the above peaked my interest. I have checked out camping in Key West in winter. It didn't appear possible except at designated campgrounds that were apporaching triple digit nightly rates.

We have a 32' 5th wheel and a CC long bed truck, makes it 50' overall hooked up. Are there any spots that we can fit in for either boondocking or lower camping rates, no services required?
I am retired from the Military, so I have access to the Campground on the Naval Air Station down there. I'm not even going to piss you off and tell you what the rates are!
Old 08-23-2019, 06:30 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry043 View Post
I am retired from the Military, so I have access to the Campground on the Naval Air Station down there. I'm not even going to piss you off and tell you what the rates are!
That explains it! I was really wondering how the heck one even finds a spot on the Keys at peak winter season.

I imagine there are a few zeroes involved in the rate. No need to answer that, I've read about it.

We've done the snowbird thing 2 times but only 4-6 weeks at a time as we aren't retired yet. May try again in a year or two. Found a few places in aouthern FL to boondock. Thanks.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #144

I have been boondocking for many years. I am not an expert in solar but I would say no matter what you decide to do buy a generator for back up in case of bad weather or something goes wrong with your system.
Snapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:34 PM   #145

I did buy two 2200 generators with a parallel cable. Thank you

I'm heading to Arizona in a couple of weeks and then I intend to get solar and batteries. I think by the end of the year I'll be ready to boondock.
RVGlen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking