Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2019, 06:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGlen View Post
I wasn't expecting so many responses suggesting solar and a generator. I was thinking solar. I didn't think I would need both. Thank you!

After reading your responses I started thinking batteries and generator then that 30% tax credit for solar has me thinking. It looks like the cost would be close though it appears I should have a generator also.
You can easily get by without a generator UNLESS you have the need to run the A/C unit. We run anything and everything but the A/C. We do have the standard 8 cu ft 2 way Norcold Fridge and not a residential unit.

We run 3 group 27 12V deep cycle AGM batteries, 450W of solar and a 2500/5000w inverter.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2019, 06:53 PM   #16

I wasn't going to stay in one place. I figure 14 to 21 days at a place. I've read about some RVers following the 70 degree weather. So I figure I can find a place to dump tanks and refill each time I move.

I don't know how realistic that is. That's my intention going into this.
RVGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:11 PM   #17
RV LIFE Support Team

Your residential refrig is the main problem. You might want to look into swapping out the residential refrig and going to a 2 way refrig. Your electrical needs will be significantl reduced.

This may be the most cost effective solution.

Still will need solar though.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:46 PM   #18

Quote:
I wasn't going to stay in one place. I figure 14 to 21 days at a place. I've read about some RVers following the 70 degree weather. So I figure I can find a place to dump tanks and refill each time I move.

I don't know how realistic that is. That's my intention going into this.
Moving every 14 - 21 days is realistic. When looking for 70F weather in the winter, you might find yourself in Meheco or South America
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:14 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
And to run the A/C because you parked your trailer in the sun all day so your panels work...

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
That might take more than a 2,000 watt generator
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:18 AM   #20

Quote:
I would like to prepare a 2014 5th wheel with a residential refrigerator and no generator or solar panels to boondock in. When preparing the RV what would be my first priority, second, third, etc?

The RV has two AGM batteries. I'm looking for what would give me the biggest bang for the buck to get me to dry camping for two to three weeks at a time.
Try this. With the camper in your driveway, charge the batteries, fill the fresh water tank and load up the refrigerator. Now, unplug and live in the camper. Don’t go in the house to use the bathroom, make coffee or watch TV.

On day 2, when the batteries die, go buy a Honda 2K generator and some gas cans.

On day 4-5, when either the fresh water tank is empty or the waste tanks are full, go buy a portable waste tank and a few fresh water jugs. You’ll be shuttling the waste to a dump station and returning with fresh water to add to the tank. This may require a plumbing modification. An alternative would be to tow the camper to a dump station.

Solar is nice in that it can help reduce generator run time and can assist in properly charging LA/AGM batteries. It is basically a luxury item and rarely meets the bang for the buck criteria. It would be unwise to build an off-grid solar/battery home without a back up generator. Boondocking in an RV is essentially the same thing.

Generator first, solar last.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
I faced similar obstacles when we looked into boondocking with our 20 year old Southwind.. We made our first long boondocking excursions last winter and I identified some problems / solutions to help mitigate the boondocking.

I have a residential and a PSW inverter. I also have a generator. We'd run the genny twice a day (8am and 8pm) for about 30-45 minutes. This didn't work as the batteries would only last about 9 hours before the converter would kick off and go into alarm.

My goal is to run the generator twice a day for 30 minutes or so to charge batteries, make the morning coffee or the evening microwave for cooking.

This is what I've done to date.

Replaced single stage 12 volt converter with 4 stage 55 amp converter. This will allow faster charging of the batteries.

Replaced my two old original group 24s with two GC-2s. This increased my storage capacity by almost 33 %.

I made a minor wiring modification to my 12 volts system that basically connects my 4 stage converter directly to the batteries. Before this mod, I was losing 3/4 volt in how the 12 volts was routed through my Battery Control Center (BCC).

I added a volt/ammeter so I can read real time the charge / discharge of my batteries..

Solar - I have a 100 watt solar panel that I plan on wiring up. This will help with the generator runs

This is some of my observations I made last winter:

Need to upgrade Coach 12 volt power system – 1999 Southwind 35S

This is some of the modification I made last month:

Upgrade Coach 12 volt system – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:27 AM   #22

LA/AGM batteries can only perform to expectations when fully charged. They cannot be fully charged in 30 minutes. There are many variables, however, 2 hours in the morning would be a more effective charging protocol and would probably eliminate the need for a second run time in the evening.

The addition of solar panels will help in completing the charge cycle after running the generator in the morning.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:36 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
Also need to solve how to get fresh water and rid of waste, if you're staying in place that long.
This makes me wonder what the limiting factor is for boondocking. Is it the holding tanks? How long can a couple expect to be able to stay out given, say, 45 gallon holding tanks?
paulag1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:08 AM   #24
RV LIFE Support Team

we run out of water before we fill the holding tanks. You have a black and gray tank, each is a different size.

FYI:

water 76
gray 60
black 48

We also conserve by taking the dishwater in the dish pan and dumping it down the toilet. The general rule of thumb is you fill up 2 gray for every black. By dumping the water in the toilet we are doing a 1 gray to 1 black most of the time.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 07-04-2019, 01:42 PM   #25

It's just me and the dog so far and I have 100 gallon fresh water tank. I figured it would get me 14 to 21 days based on what I was reading. I don't remember the grey and black tank size though I thought they were pretty good size. It sounds electric should be my primary concern and everyone seems to be suggesting a generator.

Honda sounds like the best though Champion seems affordable.
RVGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:48 PM   #26
RV LIFE Support Team

Not even a question, go with Honda. The decibel level is significantly lower and you are boondocking for a reason, you want quiet plus other things. The Champion is a contractor generator and the decibels must be 3-4 higher than the Honda. There is a reason the Honda is $$.

If you run a Champion your neighbors will not be happy(I am talking distant neighbors).

In National and State Parks there is a limit to the decibel rating of a generator that you can use.

RV LIFE Support Team
Old 07-04-2019, 02:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
This makes me wonder what the limiting factor is for boondocking. Is it the holding tanks? How long can a couple expect to be able to stay out given, say, 45 gallon holding tanks?
In theory, indefinitely. Provided you are willing and able to dispose of waste via portable tanks and replenish water and fuel as needed.

45 gallons of fresh water could be used up in 2-3 days, or maybe 6-7, depending on the couple. Fresh water is typically exhausted before the black and grey tanks become full. That could be the limiting factor. If you’re running a generator 24/7 off the vehicles fuel supply, you could hit the fuel cut-off before you run out of water. It’s easy to get more fuel. Very few people want to handle sewage once, let alone twice, so empty or full holding tanks are generally what motivate people to break camp.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Not even a question, go with Honda. The decibel level is significantly lower and you are boondocking for a reason, you want quiet plus other things. The Champion is a contractor generator and the decibels must be 3-4 higher than the Honda. There is a reason the Honda is $$.

If you run a Champion your neighbors will not be happy(I am talking distant neighbors).

In National and State Parks there is a limit to the decibel rating of a generator that you can use.
Yes. The Honda will also run all day, every day for years.

Tags
boondocking