Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #99

Ford Super Duty Owner
Champion has a wide variety of generator types. Their small inverter generators have a good reputation and a three year warranty.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2019, 11:35 AM   #100

Genset options

I'm wondering why no one has mentioned the Boliy Pro3600Si/ER electric remote start 30 AMP DSP Inverter generator. I've used this generator for 6 years and it is great. Almost half the price of the equivalent Honda/Yamaha and the same decibels. Runs 7+ hours on a gallon of gas.
djfrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:16 PM   #101

Winnebago Owners Club
boondocking prep

I just purchaced a Champion 2000 watt/1700 watt running generator to replace an off brand 2000 watt that died during a month long dry camping trip in the high Sierras. I couldn't be happier! Quieter than a camping neighbors Yamaha 2000
I would run the Champion 30-45 minutes in the morning to hard charge four 6 volt batteries and the allow 200 watt portable solar plus 100 watts on the roof(partial shading from trees all day long) finish the charge.Most days the charge controllers indicated full by 1 pm. The batteries were required to supply power to led lighting, dvd/tv for a few hours for the grandson, and furnace heat during the night as it would be down to 34* at night out side. Champion generator just quietly hummed at just above an idle powering the PD9260 charging the batteries. So pleased with this formula for dry camping along with an RV refrigerator. Had to drive once to a dump site and refill with water
I'm a happy camper, or should i say glamper
len poleshaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:18 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by len poleshaj View Post
I just purchaced a Champion 2000 watt/1700 watt running generator to replace an off brand 2000 watt that died during a month long dry camping trip in the high Sierras. I couldn't be happier! Quieter than a camping neighbors Yamaha 2000
I would run the Champion 30-45 minutes in the morning to hard charge four 6 volt batteries and the allow 200 watt portable solar plus 100 watts on the roof(partial shading from trees all day long) finish the charge.Most days the charge controllers indicated full by 1 pm. The batteries were required to supply power to led lighting, dvd/tv for a few hours for the grandson, and furnace heat during the night as it would be down to 34* at night out side. Champion generator just quietly hummed at just above an idle powering the PD9260 charging the batteries. So pleased with this formula for dry camping along with an RV refrigerator. Had to drive once to a dump site and refill with water
I'm a happy camper, or should i say glamper
Quick question. If you're running a generator do all appliances including TV work while it's on? I planned to go solar but I was going to buy a generator as well when the sun isn't out. Even when you're using a lot of the generators power do your batteries still charge?
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:04 PM   #103
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyropete View Post
Quick question. If you're running a generator do all appliances including TV work while it's on? I planned to go solar but I was going to buy a generator as well when the sun isn't out. Even when you're using a lot of the generators power do your batteries still charge?

A 2000 watt generator will NOT power large appliances like hot water heater, air conditioning, portable space heater, hair dryer, etc and if it does manage to run one of those at a time.....it won’t have any amps left over to charge batteries too. It will power smaller appliances, TV, satellite, charge phones and laptops, etc.

Good to get one of these to get an idea of how much watts each device uses.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8445.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	255586
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:48 PM   #104

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
It depends. Gen sets on many, perhaps most, RVs can be overloaded if you try to run every 120v thing you've got. You're not tied to the grid and thus have to manage you own power demand vs supply. On the grid someone else does that for you.

Everyone's energy budget is different. So our power supply systems need to be different. You do not want to exceed the output capacity of your generator. Many people mange their 120v loads to get by with smaller gen sets. Other folks seem to need the power output of Hover Dam to go camping. OK, just kidding somewhat.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:33 AM   #105

Power to the people

Quote:
Dang, I started to answer this question and realized I have to watch what I say and how I say it in regards to electrical power in a coach. Much Depends on the size in watts of the genny and the amount of power that the electrical devices in the coach use, Typically whenever the coach is getting generator or shore power your batteries will receive some level of recharging.

There is also a start up factor in regards to power demand for some of the larger appliances. A 2000 watt generator will handle a small AC unit and possibly another low wattage draw circuit. When the generator size jumps up to say, 8,000 or 10,000 watts or more it usually will power most if not all appliances continuously until your fuel cuts out.
stuccosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGlen View Post
I would like to prepare a 2014 5th wheel with a residential refrigerator and no generator or solar panels to boondock in. When preparing the RV what would be my first priority, second, third, etc?

The RV has two AGM batteries. I'm looking for what would give me the biggest bang for the buck to get me to dry camping for two to three weeks at a time.
Well, you certainly kicked off a long and interesting discussion with your post above!

Regarding priorities for camping in the boondocks - I realize that you're referring to boondocking with a 5th wheel - but here's some priorities that we address for boondocking in our small Class C RV:

1. We have self-reliance equipment and systems' backups for as many comfort and safety aspects as possible, since by definition boondocking means that we're out on our own and often beyond cell phone coverage. Bad weather conditions and unexpected systems failures can occur anytime and anywhere - so why not keep the pain from them as small as possible.
2. We have 4 or 5 non-solar ways to keep our RV batteries charged. (We do not have solar capability because the sun is not always available.)
3. We have two ways of air conditioning our RV.
4. We have three ways of heating our RV.
5. We have five ways of preparing hot food.
6. We have three ways of ventilating our RV with fresh air.
7. We have a satellite communication device for emergencies when cellular service is not available.
8. We carry tire inflation and repair capability, as well as spare tire installation capability along at all times. This includes a two-stage high-lift hydraulic jack.
9. We carry along a wide variety of medical supplies, including such things as crutches, heating pads, ice packs, medicines, first aid supplies, etc..
10. We carry equipment along for getting unstuck on bad roads or when not on paved roads. This includes such things as a commercial rated tow chain, a full size shovel, and several wooden blocks.
11. We carry along thin bubble sheets to cover the inside of our coach windows for better heat retention in cold weather.
Phil G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:25 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfrown View Post
I'm wondering why no one has mentioned the Boliy Pro3600Si/ER electric remote start 30 AMP DSP Inverter generator. I've used this generator for 6 years and it is great. Almost half the price of the equivalent Honda/Yamaha and the same decibels. Runs 7+ hours on a gallon of gas.
Boliy seems to have dropped off the face if the earth !
Old 08-04-2019, 11:33 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Well, you certainly kicked off a long and interesting discussion with your post above!

Regarding priorities for camping in the boondocks - I realize that you're referring to boondocking with a 5th wheel - but here's some priorities that we address for boondocking in our small Class C RV:

1. We have self-reliance equipment and systems' backups for as many comfort and safety aspects as possible, since by definition boondocking means that we're out on our own and often beyond cell phone coverage. Bad weather conditions and unexpected systems failures can occur anytime and anywhere - so why not keep the pain from them as small as possible.
2. We have 4 or 5 non-solar ways to keep our RV batteries charged. (We do not have solar capability because the sun is not always available.)
7. We have a satellite communication device for emergencies when cellular service is not available.
8. We carry tire inflation and repair capability, as well as spare tire installation capability along at all times. This includes a two-stage high-lift hydraulic jack.
9. We carry along a wide variety of medical supplies, including such things as crutches, heating pads, ice packs, medicines, first aid supplies, etc..
10. We carry equipment along for getting unstuck on bad roads or when not on paved roads. This includes such things as a commercial rated tow chain, a full size shovel, and several wooden blocks.
11. We carry along thin bubble sheets to cover the inside of our coach windows for better heat retention in cold weather.
Would you mind sharing a couple of methods?
What are the two methods of running your air conditioner while dry camping without solar? (I'm assuming one is a generator)
What are the four or five ways to keep your batteries charged while dry camping without solar?
RVGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:39 AM   #109

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Yes your batteries will charge because the converter is being powered by the generator.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #110
RV LIFE Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post

Wow, you are really prepared. How long do yu boondock for, months at a time? How much of this have you ever needed and are you overweight?

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:42 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGlen View Post
Would you mind sharing a couple of methods?
What are the two methods of running your air conditioner while dry camping without solar? (I'm assuming one is a generator)
What are the four or five ways to keep your batteries charged while dry camping without solar?
We have a 24 foot Class C motorhome on an E450 Ford chassis.

The rooftop A/C can of couse keep the entire coach cool using the built-in Onan generator, which is fueled from the main 55 gallon gas tank. For emergency backup, the V10 engine can be idled for hours so that the large capacity Ford cab air conditioning can be used to keep the entire coach cool. (We used both at the same time once - when out in the middle of nowhere in the Texas Panhandle during August scorching heat.)

1. We can charge the AGM batteries with the built-in generator and stock converter (AGM batteries charge quicker than liquid batteries - with even a fixed voltage converter).

2. We can charge the batteries with the built-in generator feeding A) either one or both of the two portable chargers by themselves, or B) in a parallel hookup with the stock converter.

3. We can charge the batteries by idling the V10 engine turning it's 130 amp alternator.

4. We can charge the batteries as in 1., or 2. - but by using the portable backup generator we carry along at all times.

If we added solar, it would be a portable unit so the we could have the motorhome in the shade while the fold-up panels were on a long cord out in the sun.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:27 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Wow, you are really prepared. How long do yu boondock for, months at a time? How much of this have you ever needed and are you overweight?

We're short term hit-and-run drycampers - sometimes in campgrounds without hookups, and sometimes in the boondocks out in the middle of nowhere.

We're usually in these places for specific reasons ... not just for squat-camping ... and never in one camping spot for more than 4-5 days before moving on. The reasons might be for rockhounding, or fishing, or nature viewing. One outstanding exception was exploratory camping off a 4X4 road way out there in Death Valley - just for the serenity and beauty.

I have used just about all of the alternatives listed in my post - with the exceptions of never yet changing/repairing a tire myself, and never yet having to get ourselves unstuck ... although once I tried to pull out a friends stuck Class C using my Class C, but broke my 30,000 lb. tow strap in the process.

We specifically shopped over a year to find, and finally bought new, a small non-slide Class C that was built on an optional chassis that was over-spec'd for what the coach required - such that the total weight of anything we wanted to carry along would never be an issue (including a box full of collected rocks!).

We bought a non-slide 24 foot Class C on an E450 chassis. It's handling has turned out to be superb with the chassis almost stock except for Koni FSD shocks in the rear. We can travel with all equipment and all tanks full with no change in it's responsiveness or driving ease. I've changed out it's stock-sized tires to a size with a larger diameter to gain more ground clearance.

As far as I've been able to tell from research on various Class C motorhomes, the only way to get the load carrying capacity we have is with a non-slide Class C, no longer than around 25 feet, and built on an "overkill for the size" chassis such as a Ford E450 or Chevy 4500.

Tags
boondocking