Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2011, 06:29 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Propane Safety Lesson

Ripped from the headlines:

Burned man returns to Idaho, and fire officials talk about propane safety - www.kivitv.com
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #2

Once upon a time, I built a house in the mountains above Denver. I installed a 300,000 btu propane fired hot water boiler. First time I tried to fire it up it would not light. I found out that the control board was not properly wired. I repaired that and went to light it up - forgetting that I tried once. There was enought propane accumulated that, as I applied the flame to the pilot light, it wooshed out in a 2 ft. high wave of fire that took all the hair off the bottom of my legs. It could have been much worse! Another learning experience.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #3

I would be interested knowing what led up to the explosion. Dick you were very fortunate. I used to service diesel fired heaters, there was always a delay from the time the fan started to the igniter lighting off. That was the reason for it.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #4

RoyM - you are so right! I was very fortunate. It really was not an explosion, more like a rolling wave of flame. This did not have a delay or a fan. It was a hot water boiler and I'd left the control on "pilot" and it had leaked just enought while I was trying to get it to light the first time. I did smell the gas but thought I'd left enought time for it to dissipate. Very wrong.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #5

The article reads like both he and his mother lived at the RV park full-time. Many people become lax about using/handling fuels because we do it almost daily. There are good reasons the people who do so for a living, are required to attend annual safety classes. For this thread, LP safety is worth reading.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #6

Accidents do happen all the time. Had a co-worked that lived in a Mobile Home fueled by Propane with his parents. He was out for the evening an his folks put a teakettle on the stove so he could have a cup of coffee before bed. Well he didn't come home that night, water boiled out of the pot, pot started to melt and put out the flame, but gas was still flowing. Furnace ignites and Boom, luckily his parents bedroom was on the opposite end and they got out. Trailer a total loss. So yes accidents happen.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If we should have known better or if we didnt have knowlegde training or information are they really accidents?
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #8

But have they actually determined the cause?? Yes propane added to it, but what cause the original problem? Propane leak, changing propane tanks while smoking, burner turned-on on stove but not lite? I expected to see the usual rant about traveling with Propane on. Things like this happen all the time, be it an RV or a Stick house.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
If we should have known better or if we didnt have knowlegde training or information are they really accidents?
Since it's not illegal to be stupid, we just call it an accident. If stupid was illegal then there'd have to be a lot more investigation.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #10

Gas is very safe if you follow all the safety rules.
Nat gas is lighter than air.
LP gas is heavier than air and will puddle in a low spot.
Ventilate, ventilate, and ventilate some more.
If you are not trained in the proper ways and methods of working and repairing gas piping and appliances hire a trained person to do it. This is not something a do-it-yourselfer should be doing.

Retired after 50 years of plumbing and heating.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #11

And some people give me the gears for using a woodstove... Hmmm never heard of a woodstove blowing up.....
ROLLNSMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Along with LPG being heavier than air, another point to remember is that LPG also has a much, much broader ignition range than natural gas.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #13

The first time we took our RV tailgating someone bumped against one of the stove knobs turning the gas on while going in or out of the bathroom.
The detector alerted us to this.

With everyone smoking outside the open side door....yeah, it could have been ugly!

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Accidents do happen all the time. Had a co-worked that lived in a Mobile Home fueled by Propane with his parents. He was out for the evening an his folks put a teakettle on the stove so he could have a cup of coffee before bed. Well he didn't come home that night, water boiled out of the pot, pot started to melt and put out the flame, but gas was still flowing. Furnace ignites and Boom, luckily his parents bedroom was on the opposite end and they got out. Trailer a total loss. So yes accidents happen.
Sorry dude..that's not an accident,that is stupidity!
ROLLNSMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, safety