Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-17-2021, 05:48 PM   #1

Protecting boondocking sites

So how do we keep the good sites trash-free and open and also maybe not full all summer long? I've been having some ideas. Some of them will probably sound crazy. Any way, here goes nothing:

1 - Clean it up - This is the easy one - pick up trash left by irresponsible campers. Good ideas and motivation on this FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/3398017300297840 (People Against Litter)

2 - Loose Lips Sink Ships - stop posting exact GPS locations of your favorite sites all over the internet. Every time you do you ensure that your next visit will be louder, more crowded and trashier. This goes for apps and review sites as well! Keep details to yourself, share only with trusted friends, don't share publicly.

3 - Misdirection/Disinformation - Claim that existing directions are bad, emphasize how likely it is to get stuck or lost. Post misleading reviews, emphasizing trash, impassable roads, squatters, ants, mice, dangerous animals, etc. The intention would be to dissuade people from even trying to find a site.

Any way, those are my thoughts. Yours?
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2021, 08:33 PM   #2

The ship has sailed on not mentioning location on the internet. Past and present bloggers and vloggers have panhandled these spots for views which means money.

Lose lips sinks ships is an understatement for you can camp here with posted coordinates.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:06 PM   #3

Ok so that leaves #3…
Old 06-18-2021, 10:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
So how do we keep the good sites trash-free and open and also maybe not full all summer long? I've been having some ideas. Some of them will probably sound crazy. Any way, here goes nothing:

1 - Clean it up - This is the easy one - pick up trash left by irresponsible campers. Good ideas and motivation on this FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/3398017300297840 (People Against Litter)

2 - Loose Lips Sink Ships - stop posting exact GPS locations of your favorite sites all over the internet. Every time you do you ensure that your next visit will be louder, more crowded and trashier. This goes for apps and review sites as well! Keep details to yourself, share only with trusted friends, don't share publicly.

3 - Misdirection/Disinformation - Claim that existing directions are bad, emphasize how likely it is to get stuck or lost. Post misleading reviews, emphasizing trash, impassable roads, squatters, ants, mice, dangerous animals, etc. The intention would be to dissuade people from even trying to find a site.

What you're trying to "correct" with number 2 is the normal human behavior of well-meaning folks being excited/happy to share their good fortunes with others. It's in the DNA of most of us - which works to our detriment with respect to good camping spots with an ever-increasing population trying to enjoy the outdoors via an ever-increasing ownership of camping equipment. You're number 2 is asking folks to go against what they inherently feel is "a happy person trying to help others be happy".

By the way, I agree with you on your numbers 2 and 3 probably and unfortunately being the only way to curb the good camping spot crowds - thanks to the Internet.

However, your number 3 seems inherently mean and cruel ... perhaps even dangerous in some respects ... and I cannot condone it.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
However, your number 3 seems inherently mean and cruel ... perhaps even dangerous in some respects ... and I cannot condone it.

As originally worded it *might* have put idiots in dangerous positions, however - I have to wholeheartedly disagree that, as worded, it would create danger. Worst case it would cause people to find another spot. Or an RV park. How is that dangerous?
Old 06-18-2021, 04:22 PM   #6

Back when I started boondocking, I was lucky enough to encounter some nice and charitable people who clued me in on where to go. Now, I exclusively boondock and love it - thanks to those before me who shared.

On the other hand, the last two times I trekked back on logging roads to my favorite deserted Custer spot, it was taken.

So I'm torn. I like my privacy, and my good spots, but I don't want to be one of those people who find something and then try to keep others out.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:24 PM   #7

Quote:
As originally worded it *might* have put idiots in dangerous positions, however - I have to wholeheartedly disagree that, as worded, it would create danger. Worst case it would cause people to find another spot. Or an RV park. How is that dangerous?
You stated in number 3: "The intention would be to dissuade people from even trying to find a site."

The danger would come in deceptively creating a challenge for adventurous types to drag a towable, or drive a MH ... into a tricky (hence maybe dangerous) situation that they might by mistake wind up in just because they were somehow challenged by one's negative comments about getting to it. The more something is discouraged, the more some folks want to try doing it anyway they can. This especially might apply to a beautiful boondocking place that one has heard of elsewhere, but also reads and reacts to deceptive untrue comments regarding how to access it.

Often human nature is not easy to understand, manipulate, or predict.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:27 PM   #8

Quote:
You stated in number 3: "The intention would be to dissuade people from even trying to find a site."

The danger would come in deceptively creating a challenge for adventurous types to drag a towable, or drive a MH ... into a tricky (hence maybe dangerous) situation that they might by mistake wind up in just because they were somehow challenged by one's negative comments about getting to it. The more something is discouraged, the more some folks want to try doing it anyway they can. This especially might apply to a beautiful boondocking place that one has heard of elsewhere, but also reads and reacts to deceptive untrue comments regarding how to access it.

Often human nature is not easy to understand, manipulate, or predict.
But that's not the situation I described. I'm not advocating lying about dangerous sites. I'm advocating lying about perfectly safe, wonderful sites. If this challenged someone in some strange reverse psychology sort of way, the result is that they would ...

Occupy a perfectly safe, wonderful site. How in the world would this be dangerous ???????
Old 06-19-2021, 11:02 AM   #9

I guess it boils down to whether or not one thinks that manipulative deception, on any level and for any reason ... is justified.

I think that it's better to talk about a great camping experience if one wishes, and then merely state that you'd rather not disclose the location.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:16 AM   #10

Quote:

We all have one of these, don't you, so just make it better than you found it! - https://www.amazon.com/AmazonCommerc...ED9NS62MXFDWN9 -

I can agree - but most know how to find the spots - Google -

Don't agree - this is just wrong!. - -

We just try to clean up wherever we go - just the right thing to do - Don't care where you go you can usually fill a trash bad in just a short morning walk. -

We do it all the time - Many Families with too much to do in too short a time just miss things - not bad people just not like us. -

JMHO,
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:31 AM   #11

Quote:

I agree with your sentiments. Last year, I was in an area where a van dweller left walmart bags full of human waste. How do I know? I saw the van and the bags nearby, when the van departed the bags were still there and they smelled in the heat.

I have picked up some trash. I have also stopped telling people about great boondocking areas and how great solar is. Sad but true; it is getting crowded out there for one reason or another.

Some other ideas
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/2022...go-541365.html
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS56 View Post
I have also stopped telling people about great boondocking areas and how great solar is. Sad but true; it is getting crowded out there for one reason or another.

Great idea - need to make solar seem harder and more expensive! New goal lol
Old 06-19-2021, 11:48 AM   #13

Quote:
I guess it boils down to whether or not one thinks that manipulative deception, on any level and for any reason ... is justified.
That's a valid question. Still nothing to do with 'danger' though...
Quote:
I think that it's better to talk about a great camping experience if one wishes, and then merely state that you'd rather not disclose the location.
Which is true for forums or blog posts. I'm talking more about review sites like Campendium or iOverLander, etc. Once a site has been identified, all you can do is discourage folks...
Old 06-21-2021, 04:17 PM   #14

My all time favorite was when we boondocked near Mojave NM. I went down the wrong offramp and found a wonderful campsite. Pre used, old fire pit ring, far enough from the highway, no noise, all of the requirements to use it again. We ended up staying over a week only seeing distant vehicles.
I was going to mark it on my map so we could come back and forgot about it.
Never found it again. So, I'm protecting the site from myself it seems.
Semi-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondock, boondocking