Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #43

I will probably just go right into a LTVA since I need to dump often. I doubt I want to be there more than a month so I'll probably do two of the 2 week passes for $40 each. If I use the vault toilets some of the time, I can dump once a week. Showering uses up fresh water super fast. Maybe I'll get my hair cut short so I don't have to use as much water for showering since most gets used for hair washing, I find. I have very thick hair.
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #44

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
I will probably just go right into a LTVA since I need to dump often. I doubt I want to be there more than a month so I'll probably do two of the 2 week passes for $40 each. If I use the vault toilets some of the time, I can dump once a week. Showering uses up fresh water super fast. Maybe I'll get my hair cut short so I don't have to use as much water for showering since most gets used for hair washing, I find. I have very thick hair.

Be advised that there are private camgrounds in the area for those not wanting to dry camp.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
Be advised that there are private camgrounds in the area for those not wanting to dry camp.
I would be surprised if you can manage to get a spot here so close to the event. We struggled to make a booking 2 month ago.

Maybe outside of Quartzsite? Ehrenburg is not that far away.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
Yes, I am aware of them but prefer not to pay the high dollar rent they charge. The really only limitation I have is my grey water capacity. I actually replaced the missing grey water tank before I set out, since without it, my only option would have been to put a direct outlet without any holding capacity meaning I'd have to always have sewer hookup.

I have plenty of solar and propane capacity to stay off the grid. Showering is really the only thing that trips me up if I don't REALLY limit my water consumption for it. Even so, I have to go dump not long after (next day probably). I have another topic going about the subject of low water usage shower heads and I'm not having very good luck with it so far since RV hand held shower heads don't like to have gpm listed. I want as low as possible. 2.5gpm is way too much in my opinion. 5 minutes total of 2.5gpm is 12.5 gallons... almost half of my total water capacity. I'm looking for 1-1.5gpm.

I may just have to dump grey and refill my fresh every few days. Still cheaper in gas than paying for rent assuming I even found an open spot in an RV park. I can fit into tiny spots though so I have a BIG advantage over most people's RVs. I paid $220 for a month (plus metered electric, about $10/mo for me) here in Benson, AZ at El Rio RV park.

It's a very small place, no 40fter could fit into the space I got. A 32ft trailer could maybe but you have to unhitch from it due to the small space for overnight (they do Passport America for 1/2 price nightly), else you'd block the driveway. My 19ft van fits in with space to spare. I may be cramped for space inside but I can park almost anywhere without being cramped outside.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
You mentioned getting a folding 5 gallon water container to haul water. You could also get a folding grey water container. I got a 5 gallon folding container in Yuma with a hose fitting on it. Barker also makes a 5 gallon tote that shouldn't take up too much space. Barker 5 gallon tote. They have separate dumps for totes that are never busy. You could camp in close proximity to one of them and carry the tote over to dump it as necessary. As I remember it, there are Porta Pottis near the tote dump. La Posa South is the only LTVA with dump and water. It is outh of Quartzsite on the east side.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #48

$50 for a 5 gallon jug? Ouch.

Dumping isn't what takes a lot of time anyway. Refilling fresh is what does for me.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
The portable jug would allow you to use the tote dumps and not have to wait in line or move the van.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #50

Quote:
$50 for a 5 gallon jug? Ouch.

Dumping isn't what takes a lot of time anyway. Refilling fresh is what does for me.
What? I paid $15 to fill my TT with water and dump. About 1 mile north of town on east side of AZ 95
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #51

I could probably rig up a $15 6-7 water jug from Wal-mart for grey water vs paying $50 for that overpriced piece of junk. They sell the 10-11 gallon ones for RV use for only $15-20 more! $50 is WAY over priced for that thing. It should be priced around $30-35.

Maybe fresh water filling will be a bit better now. I went back and removed 4" excess of the ribbed water fill hose from the filler to the tank. I replaced the hose a while back for good measure (vs trying to clean the old one) and I left an excess amount of hose thinking it was a good idea.

Now it's 4" shorter so it has 4" less bend to go around to get to the tank. I also propped up the hose better so it may drain into the tank better. Maybe it will fill and vent better. It certainly can't be any worse.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #52

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I could probably rig up a $15 6-7 water jug from Wal-mart for grey water vs paying $50 for that overpriced piece of junk. They sell the 10-11 gallon ones for RV use for only $15-20 more! $50 is WAY over priced for that thing. It should be priced around $30-35.

Maybe fresh water filling will be a bit better now. I went back and removed 4" excess of the ribbed water fill hose from the filler to the tank. I replaced the hose a while back for good measure (vs trying to clean the old one) and I left an excess amount of hose thinking it was a good idea.

Now it's 4" shorter so it has 4" less bend to go around to get to the tank. I also propped up the hose better so it may drain into the tank better. Maybe it will fill and vent better. It certainly can't be any worse.
A couple things if I may, look @ Fleetfarm they have water jugs, I got a 6 (thin plastic) and a 7 gal ( thick plastic)and the 7 gal has a spicket to dispense the water. the 6 just a wide mouth cap. I think, I didn't pay more than 20 bucks for both. Since we will be leaving the S&B sometime in Jan we will fill them at home to get us down there. I've yet to shower in the MH always used the camp sites. But we got her fixed so I will be testing it out. Unless I am sweating like a pig I plan on just a wash cloth bath for the most part. Wouldn't that work also? Are you there now?
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #53

You can get 6-7 gallon water jugs from Wal-Mart for around $10-15. I had the blue square one once and even fixed it up so it could accept a garden hose to fill or empty for the old Shasta trailer I had at the time that had NO grey water storage. (60s model, you just dumped to ground then.. it never had grey water storage, only black).

I might get one of those again and fix it like I did before. It's a pain in the ass to carry when full, however. Unless I had a cart or something to haul it on, it would be more work than to just drive the van to go dump.

I've decided to forget "normal" showering and just get a 5 gallon camp shower that solar heats. 5 gallons should be plenty for me to shower with. I'll also heat up a bit of water on the stove to near boiling then mix it with some cold tap for in a spray bottle for extra rinsing ability. The tiny sink in the bathroom can be filled for sponge bathing too. Then I might use 6 gallons total.

My grey water capacity is 22 gallons by the way.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #54

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
You can get 6-7 gallon water jugs from Wal-Mart for around $10-15. I had the blue square one once and even fixed it up so it could accept a garden hose to fill or empty for the old Shasta trailer I had at the time that had NO grey water storage. (60s model, you just dumped to ground then.. it never had grey water storage, only black).

I might get one of those again and fix it like I did before. It's a pain in the ass to carry when full, however. Unless I had a cart or something to haul it on, it would be more work than to just drive the van to go dump.

I've decided to forget "normal" showering and just get a 5 gallon camp shower that solar heats. 5 gallons should be plenty for me to shower with. I'll also heat up a bit of water on the stove to near boiling then mix it with some cold tap for in a spray bottle for extra rinsing ability. The tiny sink in the bathroom can be filled for sponge bathing too. Then I might use 6 gallons total.

My grey water capacity is 22 gallons by the way.
I have a really bad back (chronic) so I cheat and put the tank on the top step inside the MH then fill it and slide it to the rear of the couch. My partner and I both lift it to the counter top when needed.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #55

Freightliner Owners Club
FYI, We are headed to Q in January and were able to find a FHU site yesterday. Most are booked but there are a few available. Safe Travels!
Old 12-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppo1 View Post
FYI, We are headed to Q in January and were able to find a FHU site yesterday. Most are booked but there are a few available. Safe Travels!
What kind of rent is it? heh

Tags
quartzsite