Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-16-2021, 03:15 PM   #57

I lived in Michigan growing up and Indiana for a few years until I was about 30. We have been living in a dry climate since. Astronomy is the reason we own the trailer and the darkest skies are were there are the fewest people because of the lack of water. The few trips we do back east are for family visits and we usually fly and stay with family or in hotels.

I am sympathetic with those who live in humid weather. I worked outside for three years in South Bend, Indiana and summer outdoor work was brutal in the high humidity. We tend to avoid visiting the midwest in June-August so we can enjoy slightly cooler weather there.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2021, 11:41 PM   #58

I have the Cummins/Onan P4500i for my 30a trailer. Same thing as the Westinghouse 4500 cited earlier. It's not terribly loud, keep it on ECO mode and when the AC kicks in you can hear a little hum from inside (but the TV and/or AC/Fan you couldn't hear it).

Standing 10' away, noisy. 20' away quieter, and the neighbor next to me couldn't hear it running when the AC was chugging away.

Prices went up on them, when I bought it last year (2/2020) I paid about $920 out the door ($849 plus tax). Not a bad generator, but the first dealer that tried to sell it to me wanted $2k for it (was looking at a 19' micro XLR...walked away from that guy in a hurry).
4thgenceli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 07:39 AM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
I installed 2200w of solar panels, 800 ah of batteries, and a 4000w inverter. I haven't 'used' my generator in over a year. I run it periodically under load for maintenance, and have decided to keep it onboard as an emergency backup. I run my A/C, refrigerator, coffee-maker, and microwave all the time. Just how independent do you want to be? It is only a question of $$$ and grey matter. Anything is possible.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:24 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat View Post
A little redneck engineering and you could simply add a second muffler to any generator... instant quiet.
Most noise is from engine not exhaust. I might add that I use a Honda 3000I that I bought several years ago. When I'm not camping I use it for my home during power loss.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 02:22 AM   #61

So I don't know if anyone knows this

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark16 View Post
One question here. I am going to do some dry camping and would like to be able to use the ac. The Honda is 2k. The harbor fright is 700.00
I see a lot of bad reviews on the champion. Is there one that is highly recommended on these forums or is it really just a crap shoot?
So not everyone knows this but if you buy a generator and it has a cigarette lighter outlet 12v you can but a inverter for cheap and wire it so it has the mail end for the cigarette lighter outlet and plug it into the generator and you just created yourself however big of an inverter you want to buy and that's how many watts you have for power now so you can buy a 5000 watt inverter with 10,000 peak watts and buy a 1000watt generator with cigarette lighter outlet and you can save yourself a lot of money and for the people that want really quiet use battery Bank truck jumpstart pack and the inverter now that is quiet
David1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 02:48 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bear Local View Post
Most noise is from engine not exhaust. I might add that I use a Honda 3000I that I bought several years ago. When I'm not camping I use it for my home during power loss.
I saw some real redneck engineering in the mid 1990s... I was in Texas and saw travel trailer (with a Kentucky license plate) with a contractors genny mounted on the tongue. And the genny was much quieter then you'd expect... I asked the gentleman who was sitting in a lawn chair about it he said that his daddy had done some tricks to make the genny quieter. He then removed a plywood cover and I saw three small garden-tractor-sized mufflers on the genny, two on the exhaust but in series and a second one on the intake with the carburetor sitting on top of it! The linkage had been extended to compensate for the relocated carburetor. Yes, you'd expect a muffler on the exhaust, but two? And I'd never have expected a muffler between the carb and the engine!

Mike
Old 07-17-2021, 03:35 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1972 View Post
So not everyone knows this but if you buy a generator and it has a cigarette lighter outlet 12v you can but a inverter for cheap and wire it so it has the mail end for the cigarette lighter outlet and plug it into the generator and you just created yourself however big of an inverter you want to buy and that's how many watts you have for power now so you can buy a 5000 watt inverter with 10,000 peak watts and buy a 1000watt generator with cigarette lighter outlet and you can save yourself a lot of money and for the people that want really quiet use battery Bank truck jumpstart pack and the inverter now that is quiet
Yeah, but what wire size is on the cigarette lighter outlet?
As an example a microwave can pull 1500 watts.

Amps = watts divided by volts. 1500/12=125 amps!

You will NEVER find a cigarette lighter outlet - anywhere - that will carry 125 amps.
You need a MINIMUM of 8 gauge wire, probably 6 gauge.
Look at the wire chart below.

And the other two images are good memory aids.
I use both in my electronics classes and my ham radio licensing classes.

The image of the Volts-Ohms-Amps is a parody of the old analogy of
volts=water pressure, amps is the water flow, and ohms is the
resistance caused by a too-small pipe.

To use the clock face look at the center section for your target value (like Watts).
There are three ways to get Watts - one is to multiply Volts times Amps.
A second is to multiply the resistance by the square of the current.
A third is to divide the square of the voltage by the resistance.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire Gauge Chart.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	336269   Click image for larger version

Name:	! volts-vs-amps-vs-ohms.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	336270  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ohms Law Clock Face.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	336271  
Old 07-17-2021, 05:52 AM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
some cool info
some ???able....
some LOL

to the Quiet for 30amp..

need 3500-3600 watt running genny

Now AC is mentioned as are 2000-2200 gennys that run at 1600-1800...

I have run a 10K and 13K AC on a Ryobi 2200 for weekends at a time.. both AC had hard starts,, now we mention a soft start, adds to price but they work better than cheaper.. hard start

Now the word QUIET.. The Honda 3000 is quietest on market.. I have one and it ran my 15K with a hard start... draw is 1530-1680 watts when hot out.. compressor restarts .. shake rattle and roll the 3000..

I have a Predator in one trailer that runs a 13.5 coleman.. runs it all day, slightly louder that the 3000 honda running the 15k.. not much louder mostly the tone..

I have a bafflled and tweeked onan 4000 micro.. The AIR cooling noise is louder as in many gennys the fan cooling is loud. exhaust is not bad..

my fav is a greenpower 3500 knock off.. Runs any AC, best/great on fuel..
about the same or less tone than Predator 3500, not bad against Honda 3000. the few extra watts let me run microwave at half power to warm a burger etc or use the small coffee pot without issues..

So i find the 3000/3500 units will run not as hard and be quieter and the 2000/2200 will run hard and louder..

the Onan westinghouse 4500 are ok but a tad loud IMO.. I went head to head a few weeks ago with an onan running a 13,5 and my 3500 running 13.5k.. Walking between the rigs the onan/westinghouse 4500 was louder note.. even the guy I knew with onan asked what kind is that, it is pretty quiet.. blah blah..

As mentioned a huge solar that you must park your RV in direct sun all day may be your fancy..
I rattle find some nice shade , trees to buffer sound and point my quiet genn away from others and enjoy...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:37 PM   #65

I have a Champion 3400W Dual Fuel and I can barely hear it inside the trailer even with the AC off when running on propane (will never run it on gas unless emergency). Just spent the last weekend using it and I used the generator or the guy 40ft to my side more than mine on my tailgate right by the trailer tongue with exhaust facing to the passenger sideClick image for larger version

Name:	20210710_123815.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	336327
Old 07-17-2021, 08:01 PM   #66

Read thru most of the responses but might have missed this. Anyone tried the Ryobi invertor generator from Home Depot? Looks like a nice unit for a very nice price. Running dB says 67 which is more than the fully enclosed Hondas (typically in the low- to mid 50 dB) but not loud enough to keep you awake with the AC running. Comes with the wheel/handle kit so easy to move it around.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-40...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:14 PM   #67

One other maybe silly question while we're talking generators. What sort of problems do you run into with potential theft while the genny is sitting outside to run your AC while you're out hiking/biking/wandering race tracks? Never happens? Or need to leave your pit bull chained to the genset?
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:29 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Been using a pair of Honda EU2000i for the past 10 years and love them. I can lift them one at a time and can run one or both as needed for the electrical load.

Ken

Tags
generator, quiet