Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2021, 09:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Guy View Post
Bought a Westinghouse dual fuel 4500 for $1050 . No need for paralleling . Can run anything in the camper almost all at the same time.
Can your wife / significant other get it in and out of the TV by themselves?

That's always been a problem with even the Champion 3100... no way my wife is heaving a 95 lb gen set in and out of anything by her self. But she can pick up the Honda with ease.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2021, 10:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by memilanuk View Post
Can your wife / significant other get it in and out of the TV by themselves?

That's always been a problem with even the Champion 3100... no way my wife is heaving a 95 lb gen set in and out of anything by her self. But she can pick up the Honda with ease.
That’s silly criteria.

Can you wife hitch the trailer herself.
Do you share this chore where she does it without you present?
Does she drive the trailer by herself without you present?
There is no need for my wife or anyone’s to do it by herself....BUT.......she can

My wife can do the generator herself if it was necessary. It comes with good oversized wheels and a pulling handle like a rolling duffle bag.

In addition many of the times we use it from the bed of the truck with a hose clam and extension on the exhaust like the dryer in your home.

If we take it out of the bed of the truck we have ramps in the bed which set up in less than a minute. It just ROLLS down the ramp. Since it has a remote as well as electric start it’s easy to start and turn off.

It’s so much easier to have just one 18 hour generator remote start than two hooked together with 8 hr run times and to have to fill them separately . PLUS
No special set up to turn on the air condition cause it has plenty of power.
Sailing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwadted View Post
The extended run tank for my Honda is NOT pressurized. If you were to have it be pressurized, your genny would quit as it needs to pull in outside air to replace the fuel being pulled into the Honda by its fuel pump. Otherwise you will create a vacuum that will eventually starve out the genny. That is also why you have a vent to open on your OE honda fuel cap. i will say that i envy my buddies 4500 Westinghouse with remote start, when I'm out in the frosty morning pulling my Hondas starting rope! but it is a bit louder than my 2000i
Funny I have an old Honda 2000 and also a Westinghouse.
I have used a phone decibel ap to gauge their noise.
Both pull 52 decibels with no load.
The Westinghouse is considerable quieter running the air conditioning under load than the Honda at 59 vs 63 decibels. Larger engine doesn’t work as hard.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwadted View Post
The extended run tank for my Honda is NOT pressurized. If you were to have it be pressurized, your genny would quit as it needs to pull in outside air to replace the fuel being pulled into the Honda by its fuel pump. Otherwise you will create a vacuum that will eventually starve out the genny. That is also why you have a vent to open on your OE honda fuel cap. i will say that i envy my buddies 4500 Westinghouse with remote start, when I'm out in the frosty morning pulling my Hondas starting rope! but it is a bit louder than my 2000i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueRV View Post
It's like anything else. If you are only going to use it a few times a year, go cheap. If you are going to use it all the time, buy the Honda. You won't regret spending the extra money.
Based on what do you say this. My Westinghouse/ Cummins/ Onan is made by a generator company which has been in business many years. Many Class A and C have built in Onan or Cummings generators. Same with sailboats . You see and lot on Onan/ Weterbeke/ Northern Light generators.

To me wasting money on a dinosaur of technology isn’t worth it.
Understand I also have an older Honda 2000 too. The newer generators need be research like anything else there are knockoffs. However unless you can present some metric empirical data to back up you statement it is merely a non fact based statement IMHO
Old 03-31-2021, 07:05 AM   #33

Quote:
That's what a parallel kit is for. Still way easier to lift 2 x ~45 lbs in and out of the truck, one at a time, than to heave 95 lbs in and out all at once.
Oh I agree ! As long as your wallet can stand being lighter !

Quote:
I *think* the Honda is one of the few that has extended run fuel tank kits that are pressurized, not gravity-fed, but I might be wrong on that.
I believe that Honda EU2000i/EU2200i is one of the few that uses a fuel pump to feed the carburetor. Now "pressure" in the tank.

Most extended run kits require adding a fuel pump and an external tank shut off.

The Companion models come with a 30A plug. Unfortunately it is a NEMA L5-30 not the RV standard NEMA TT-30. Better have one of these ! WEN GNA030, NEMA L5-30P Twist-Lock Power Plug to TT-30R
Old 04-01-2021, 08:18 AM   #34

Quote:
Based on what do you say this. My Westinghouse/ Cummins/ Onan is made by a generator company which has been in business many years. Many Class A and C have built in Onan or Cummings generators. Same with sailboats . You see and lot on Onan/ Weterbeke/ Northern Light generators.
Onan is a "brand" owned by Cummins since 1992.

It is highly doubtful that Onan-Cummins actually manufactures ANY of gasoline/LP engines ! I would not even bet that they manufacture any small diesel engines.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:36 AM   #35

Quote:

To me wasting money on a dinosaur of technology isn’t worth it.
Understand I also have an older Honda 2000 too. The newer generators need be research like anything else there are knockoffs. However unless you can present some metric empirical data to back up you statement it is merely a non fact based statement IMHO
My post was OBVIOUSLY in response to the original poster that SPECIFICALLY ASKED if they should go cheap Harbor Freight or buy the Honda, the ONLY options presented by the original poster. They are clearly not interested in getting many thousands of dollars deep into an onboard generator and installation.

FOR THE ORIGINAL POSTER, I stand by my original statement, if they are only going to use it a few times a year, go cheap. If they are going to use it frequently, buy the Honda. The Hondas are quieter and they last longer with less maintenance, by any "empirical" measurement.

I am sure if they buy a Class A/C or a sail boat, they will look into onboard options and your post will have some relevance to them.
BigBlueRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:01 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjohn View Post
Just picked up the new champion 2500 watt Duel fuel generator. Pretty quiet, can run my 13.5 AC without soft start.. Only weighs 39 lbs...
Under $600.00.

That sounds great unit, especially at 39 lbs. We recently purchased the WEN 3800/3400 (runs on gaso only). It weight in at about 99 lbs. I hemmed and hawed about running a couple of smaller wattage units in parallel just for the weight issue. As it were, it is mounted "permanently" on the front of the trailer, so should be OK.

They claim it is quiet. I guess it is but I don't have much experience for comparison. If things go according to plan we will be using it for the first time week after next.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:04 AM   #37

If you can't start your A/C with a 2000/2200 watt generator even after installing a Micro-Air EasyStart the watch this video.

Westinghouse iGen2500 Vs Predator 3500
Old 04-02-2021, 07:48 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
If you can't start your A/C with a 2000/2200 watt generator even after installing a Micro-Air EasyStart the watch this video.

Westinghouse iGen2500 Vs Predator 3500
I have a Carrier Air V 15k air conditioner that the microair was added to and both my eu2000i or eu2200i will run the AC. Prior to adding the microair if we were at elevation the 2000 wouldn't get over the locked rotor amps and the 2200 was hit and miss. Last year in Idaho 6,500 elevation, 90f + the 2200 or 2000 had no problem running the air conditioner.
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:56 AM   #39

Electric start

EU3000iS
EU3000S1AG

3000 watt 120V inverter generator with CO-MINDER™

Power for furnace, fridge, most 13,500 BTU RV AC units, & more
Super quiet & fuel efficient
Electric start
Inverter - stable power for computers & more
CO-MINDER: advanced carbon monoxide detection system

MSRP
$2529*
https://powerequipment.honda.com/gen...odels/eu3000is
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:27 PM   #40

So, for those of you that have 3000, 4000, 4500 watt "portable" inverter generators, how are you transporting them? How are you lifting them into or out of a truck, or a front bay on a 5th wheel, or on and off a cargo tray behind an RV?
Are there any issues with one of these larger portables being in the way of a pinbox if a slider hitch is moved back?

I could easily get a couple of 2200i generators out of my truck bed or 5th wheel storage bin, but not a 100# generator. At 66+ yrs old, it's all about lighter gear and less abuse of body parts that don't heal so well anymore.
Does anyone have a clever hoist or crane that flips up and lifts that beast out and onto the ground?
HiWay-OurWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:29 PM   #41

The quietest generator is Solar
Old 05-13-2021, 11:25 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiWay-OurWay View Post
So, for those of you that have 3000, 4000, 4500 watt "portable" inverter generators, how are you transporting them? How are you lifting them into or out of a truck, or a front bay on a 5th wheel, or on and off a cargo tray behind an RV?
Are there any issues with one of these larger portables being in the way of a pinbox if a slider hitch is moved back?

I could easily get a couple of 2200i generators out of my truck bed or 5th wheel storage bin, but not a 100# generator. At 66+ yrs old, it's all about lighter gear and less abuse of body parts that don't heal so well anymore.
Does anyone have a clever hoist or crane that flips up and lifts that beast out and onto the ground?
No need for a hoist or crane. That’s hyperbole.

Our 4500 Westinghouse DF has wheels and a handle. It sits in the bed of our 2500 Ram quite smartly. Weight in at 98 lbs. we keep two lightweight ramps in the bed of the truck and viola....it’s on the ground. No lifting required at all. Easier than lifting 2-50 lb 2000.

I also fashioned a SS attachment piece to put on the exhaust so you could even run it from the bed of the truck.

Let’s see you start or turn off those 2- 2000 generators from inside the camper. No problem with the remote stop/ start fob.

While your busy hooking those 2-2000 together, we already have powered up.

In a few hours your 2-2000 generator sputters....it’s empty .....time to get up and go out in the rain and fill her up. Might as well fill the other one up too , right.
The Westinghouse 4500 runs 18 hours if necessary on a full tank.

When’s it time for a oil change on the genny you ask? The digital displays has a menu stop which tell you how many hours you’ve run since the last change. The 2000... you need to keep track...and you get to change oil twice , one for each of them.

It’s quiet as any Honda 2200 at 52-57 actual measured decibels. But it’s a 4500

Oh yeah...no combustible fumes from a partial gas filled generator stored inside an unvented storage compartment

Understand I also have an old Honda 2000. It’s great but it’s a dinosaur. It’s a great lightweight old school generator. Not really capable for the 15,000 air conditioner unless you purchase a soft start kit/ capacitor.

Did a mention duel fuel? It can run off the propane tanks as it comes with a step down regulator. Uses a good amount of propane. We do use it for short chores that way, but for longer jobs we switch over to gasoline.

I will be 67 in July. My wife and u can pick it up with the two carrying handles.

Tags
generator, quiet