Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-17-2020, 05:37 PM   #1

Renogy LifePO4 batteries

Does anybody have experience with these batteries in a motorhome? We have a single Grp 24 FLA battery in our 2020 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV that is inadequate for even one night off the grid. I'm not sure I want to jump into solar right away, but I'd like to upgrade the battery system. Everyone seems to love Battle Born, but those will not fit into our battery compartment (sized for 2 Grp 24 batteries) without some significant mods. However, it does look like two of the Renogy 100AH Smart Lithium batteries will fit. Those batteries also have a communications port that can tap into the BMS info and display voltage, capacity, amperage, etc. on a remote display. I'd have to change my PD9260C converter to a lithium capable converter (such as PD9160ALV), but that also looks like a pretty simple swap. So it all looks like I could upgrade to a reasonably capable LifePO4 system for ~$2k. Could then add solar later if desired. But what am I missing? Is there something else I haven't considered? Do I need to upgrade the BIM to some kind of DC-DC battery charger? Would appreciate any guidance any of you can give. Thanks in advance!
dvspl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2020, 06:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvspl View Post
Does anybody have experience with these batteries in a motorhome? We have a single Grp 24 FLA battery in our 2020 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV that is inadequate for even one night off the grid. I'm not sure I want to jump into solar right away, but I'd like to upgrade the battery system. Everyone seems to love Battle Born, but those will not fit into our battery compartment (sized for 2 Grp 24 batteries) without some significant mods. However, it does look like two of the Renogy 100AH Smart Lithium batteries will fit. Those batteries also have a communications port that can tap into the BMS info and display voltage, capacity, amperage, etc. on a remote display. I'd have to change my PD9260C converter to a lithium capable converter (such as PD9160ALV), but that also looks like a pretty simple swap. So it all looks like I could upgrade to a reasonably capable LifePO4 system for ~$2k. Could then add solar later if desired. But what am I missing? Is there something else I haven't considered? Do I need to upgrade the BIM to some kind of DC-DC battery charger? Would appreciate any guidance any of you can give. Thanks in advance!
A dc-dc charger like the Victron will work, bluetooth also. I just bypassed my BIM and made a direct connection with a bypass switch to join both banks if necessary.
A shunt type battery monitor is a must, because you cannot use battery voltage like lead acid. I use the Victron smartshunt, bluetooths to your phone about $130.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:56 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to MJClark
First, YES on Solar... No self-respecting RV enthusiast would deny this! You'll need to recharge those batteries, and short of shore power or a generator, it's the only option.

Second, I just bought 4 Battle Born Lithium batteries to replace the 4 - 6V flooded cells I have. Problem is, the battery tray is too small... so... my service guy says, "why not just take it out?" "There's plenty of room for 10 of these things if you do". So that's what we're doing... removing the battery tray, then, design a secure way to keep batteries in place.

And oh, by the way, since Li's are sealed, you can stack them in any way you want, except topside down. I found I could get 2 - 200Ah LiFeBlue Lithiums by standing them up on end, WITHOUT removing the battery tray... still have 20+" of clearance... As long as you can secure them so they don't move, it's not an issue.
MJClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:34 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to MJClark
Update:

Removed Battery Tray, installed 4 Battle Born 100Ah Lithium batteries. Also installed new 100A/50 MPPT Solar Controller and Voltmeter, both Victron. Soon to add another 480W (3@160) to the 600W currently in place.

Unless I can find reason to add more to the solar or battery bank, I believe this will be a finished goal of having sufficient resources to boondock for extended periods. Only issue now is fresh water.
MJClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:30 PM   #5

The PD9260 converter will charge the Li batteries if you get the Charge Wizard pendant. The pendant will force the converter into “boost mode” for four hours, which uses sufficiently high voltage to top off the Li batteries.

The pendant comes with that converter as a retail sale, but not with an OEM installation. The pendant is less than $20.

I have the same converter in my Arctic Fox, and was planning to replace it when I installed my Li battery. The Battleborne rep advised me to get the pendant instead, and it worked perfectly.

The only drawback is a little blinking light on the pendant.
JHinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:23 PM   #6

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHinman View Post
The PD9260 converter will charge the Li batteries if you get the Charge Wizard pendant. The pendant will force the converter into “boost mode” for four hours, which uses sufficiently high voltage to top off the Li batteries.

The pendant comes with that converter as a retail sale, but not with an OEM installation. The pendant is less than $20.

I have the same converter in my Arctic Fox, and was planning to replace it when I installed my Li battery. The Battleborne rep advised me to get the pendant instead, and it worked perfectly.

The only drawback is a little blinking light on the pendant.
Thanks! That's the same advice that the LifeBlue tech support team gave me. So I've got the pendant installed now. It's beneath the overhang of the bed, so hopefully won't be too intrusive. I'm debating between the LifeBlue 200AH and two Renogy 100AH. The area beneath my entry step is very small, but either of these solutions should (just) fit. Everybody seems to like the Battle Borns, but those are just a little too big...
dvspl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:36 AM   #7

Lion UT1300s

Bish's is recommending these Lion UT1300s which is what they stock and provide. they seem to be better than the Battle born - I know hard to believe - but if those don't fit..... They have a lifetime warranty rather than 15 years if that says anything and 105 AH which I think is just a tad more than the equivalent battleborn. NOOB here, but thought I would chime in.

Thanks for the tip on the pendant I am going to ask them about that!
DJFox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, lifepo4