Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #1

rookie power supply question

We have an older coleman popup, and a generator. We're not allowed to run the generator at night. If I'm interested in keeping our small dorm-sized fridge and maybe also a small portable air-conditioner working through the night, buying a battery is my only option, right? Could I charge the battery with a 1000 Honda during the day and use it the next night?

Those two items are the only things we'll be needing electricity for.

sorry for the rookie question - new to the whole camping / RV scene. thanks in advance for your help.
marcywit22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #2

You would need a bigger generator and an inverter. Your batteries would not run your AC and frig. Does the frige have a propane setting. Your AC takes 110v or about 20 amps to power and frige (not able to run on propane) would also take 110v to run. Thats why you have power hookups. A 1000W generator would take a few hours to recharge your batteries and during that time the AC might be able to run. You might be better off with your major food being in an ice chest.

Not sure thats the answer you want
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #3

You don't say where you're located but in my case the replacement of a standard (useless IMHO) 14" sq. ceiling vent with a Fantastic Fan made enough of a difference we rarely run the A/C, almost never at night.

The fan doesn't draw much, it will run for days & days without a recharge if we're boon-docking.

About the fridge, no propane setting?
Old 06-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
To run a small A/C over night from a battery bank and inverter would pretty well load your pop up full of batteries. Then you would need a nice size generator to recharge them during the day.

Your best bet is a Fantastic fan and add a second battery to make sure you will run all night.

And welcome to iRV2.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. The fridge doesn't have a propane setting. It is just a small box like a college kid would have in a dorm room. The AC I am not sure about. I guess we could plug in a fan and use a small inverter in the cigarette lighter of the truck.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:42 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Trade in the dorm frig for something like this -- Amazon.com: 44366 70Qt Maxcold Ice Chest - Igloo Products: Sports & Outdoors

Google "ice chest airconditioner". There is info on how to make or where to buy a 12 volt air cooler that uses ice and a small fan.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:47 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Another A/C system that uses 12 volts

Stay Cool with TurboKOOL - Advanced RV Evaporative Air (Swamp) Coolers
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #8

Wonderful. Thank you!!
Old 06-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would look at the high effiecency 12 volt fridges such as the chest unit made by Norcold, these use compressor technology and draw 35-40 watts running, that's all (3-3.5 amps)

As for the air conditioner... You would need several hundred pounds of batteries for that, they draw around 1,000 watts running, That is just about one pair of GC-2 batteries PER HOUR at the 20 hour rate. So for 8 hours of "Quiet time" you'd need like 10-12 pair. And that honda 1,000 would never recharge them in time. Figure a 3,000 minmum (With a very big converter) or even a bigger one. IN short, bad idea.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to garytut&twooie Send a message via Skype™ to garytut&twooie
X2 on the TurboKool unit. I installed on on my sisters UHAUL fiberglass 13" camper. It will run 8 hrs on one deep cycle battery { two even better}. The unit is bit pricey but works great for any rv under 20 ft. Dont buy the water tank from TurboKool ....you can get it much cheeper at Harbor freight. I am planning to install two units on my 30ft ClassA...thats how much I am impressed with the cooling ability of the units. They are just about the only way to stay cool when no shore power is available. I have a 2000 EU Honda generator which is very quiet and use it often when boondocking. No noise complaints from neighbors as yet....
garytut&twooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #11

A Fantastic fan( I had one installed when we bought our TT )for a tent trailer is a little silly. All you have to do is open up the sides and the slightest breeze blows through.

Check on Craigslist for a three-way fridge,when the roof goes on PUP,they get parted out.
Downwindtrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
We use a WAECO refrigerator My-Caravanning by Dometic GROUP - Cooling » Products » Compressor Cooler. 12V or 120AC. My wife loves it, no ice sloshing around and it will freeze things.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power