Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2019, 11:11 AM   #15

Boondocking Safety questions

WOW, talk about circling the "RV's"!

I can only assume the OP is earnest in their question.

I was hoping when I joined iRV2, that this forum could be where my newbie questions AND their answers might be found by others who have been there and done that and without the condescending innuendo.

"Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Support Our Mission: If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.."

I wonder if there would have been different responses to the OP, if they had NOT included the gun or homeless statement?

I'm going to start traveling a bit in 2019 myself, just me and the dogs in a truck camper and boondocking mostly in National Forests.
Since I'm totally new to this, I'm starting with short runs around Upper Michigan (UP) during the summer and then out into the western US after Christmas.

I myself also have some of those same concerns and questions, in my opinion only a fool would ignore those concerns.
So I started looking around on the vast WWW and found a number of REPORTED incidents of RV crime and I have included the links to a FEW below.
Campers burnt down, stalking at night, intimidation and harassment are some of what I found.
It appears that the OP' concerns are NOT totally unfounded.
In 2014 360 incidents of "Violent Crime" reported by the NPS alone.

Just my thoughts and perspective from someone who, hasn't "been there and done that" yet.

The attachment below is from the FBI.GOV link also provided.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...crime-data.pdf
Time Flies – Gypsy Journal RV Travel Newspaper
It Really Happened! – Gypsy Journal RV Travel Newspaper
Be Careful Out There – Gypsy Journal RV Travel Newspaper
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FBI RV stats 2014.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	236420  
Offfishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2019, 12:38 PM   #16

People gave their personal experiences. Simply because you disagree with their answers does not mean those experiences are invalid, ill-mannered or in violation of the appearance of harmony that the site owner wishes to project.

I've been camping since I was 10. I'm over 60. The only things I didn't bring back were items I was careless with, gave away or traded with other campers. My experience may not be the same as other folks but I make no claim of representation.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:00 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
60+ years and nothing stolen and I've stayed is some low rent Passport America CGs. Part of the reason I built a CG is I knew the vast majority of campers are nice people. Other than two lawyers that has been true... I'm not sure how they were able to pass the Bar Exam.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:03 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My brief and unqualified response was based on my own thoughts about my experiences since I've been full timing.

Fear is a poison. It's toxic to the mind and body. In my opinion, some of the ways that we can try to prepare for the things we fear will only cause the fear to remain, not assuage it as we probably had hoped.

Among other things I've done in my lifetime, I'm an ex-cop and security guard. I've worked in many different aspects of those lines of work far above and beyond what the rank-and-file members that we most commonly see doing and hearing about. I have family members and close friends still doing those types of work. Personally, I was unsuccessful at those jobs because I couldn't hack the emotions that I was dealing with and the other aspects of my life at the time, and got out before something bad happened to me or mine because of any of it, but I learned a few very valuable things along the way that to me are fairly obvious.

If you are afraid enough to of the world that you believe you must be armed in order to go out into it, and it isn't your job to go out into it armed, then take a moment to really rethink about where you're going and what you're gonna be doing there.

I'm not talking about the folks that carry daily because it's like insurance, in that you have it only in case you really need it. Millions of people have car insurance and never talk about it, because it doesn't really need to be said that you have it until the need to use it has appeared, right?

And that's what I'm talking about, using driving as an analogy. We, as drivers, are hopefully taking care to drive, park, back up, etc., safely and carefully, so that we don't need insurance. Life is easier that way, isn't it? And there are some places it just makes sense not to take some vehicles, and I'm not saying that you shouldn't go to those places, but some places just aren't a good fit for what you're driving, and possibly your reason for going there too.

And that is why the "red flag", if you will, in the OP caused me to give my initial response. If you are so worried about driving somewhere that you feel you need an armored vehicle with weapons in order to feel safe getting there and doing what you want to do there, then maybe going there and doing that isn't for you. So think about it.

Now that the shine of how I felt about the OP has worn off, I'm glad they came here and asked. And I hope that they can read this more fully fleshed out response of mine with a thoughtful and appreciative attitude for the experiences of the people here and the testimonies they're giving. I hope that the OP can ignore the initial harshness of mine, and others, responses. I apologize if I offended, it sincerely wasn't my intention.

Most of all, I hope, that all of this might help them and others to turn down any fear that they might have of travelling this beautiful country without fear blocking any chance to wonder and marvel at all it has to offer the traveler.

It really is a great thing to be able to live the lifestyle I have, and see the things and experience so much that I've been able to this way, and with really no more trouble than an occasional traffic jam, hot or cold night of sleep, or wrong turn while driving that only made my trip a little longer.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
My brief and unqualified response was based on my own thoughts about my experiences since I've been full timing.

Fear is a poison. It's toxic to the mind and body. In my opinion, some of the ways that we can try to prepare for the things we fear will only cause the fear to remain, not assuage it as we probably had hoped.

Among other things I've done in my lifetime, I'm an ex-cop and security guard. I've worked in many different aspects of those lines of work far above and beyond what the rank-and-file members that we most commonly see doing and hearing about. I have family members and close friends still doing those types of work. Personally, I was unsuccessful at those jobs because I couldn't hack the emotions that I was dealing with and the other aspects of my life at the time, and got out before something bad happened to me or mine because of any of it, but I learned a few very valuable things along the way that to me are fairly obvious.

If you are afraid enough to of the world that you believe you must be armed in order to go out into it, and it isn't your job to go out into it armed, then take a moment to really rethink about where you're going and what you're gonna be doing there.

I'm not talking about the folks that carry daily because it's like insurance, in that you have it only in case you really need it. Millions of people have car insurance and never talk about it, because it doesn't really need to be said that you have it until the need to use it has appeared, right?

And that's what I'm talking about, using driving as an analogy. We, as drivers, are hopefully taking care to drive, park, back up, etc., safely and carefully, so that we don't need insurance. Life is easier that way, isn't it? And there are some places it just makes sense not to take some vehicles, and I'm not saying that you shouldn't go to those places, but some places just aren't a good fit for what you're driving, and possibly your reason for going there too.

And that is why the "red flag", if you will, in the OP caused me to give my initial response. If you are so worried about driving somewhere that you feel you need an armored vehicle with weapons in order to feel safe getting there and doing what you want to do there, then maybe going there and doing that isn't for you. So think about it.

Now that the shine of how I felt about the OP has worn off, I'm glad they came here and asked. And I hope that they can read this more fully fleshed out response of mine with a thoughtful and appreciative attitude for the experiences of the people here and the testimonies they're giving. I hope that the OP can ignore the initial harshness of mine, and others, responses. I apologize if I offended, it sincerely wasn't my intention.

Most of all, I hope, that all of this might help them and others to turn down any fear that they might have of travelling this beautiful country without fear blocking any chance to wonder and marvel at all it has to offer the traveler.

It really is a great thing to be able to live the lifestyle I have, and see the things and experience so much that I've been able to this way, and with really no more trouble than an occasional traffic jam, hot or cold night of sleep, or wrong turn while driving that only made my trip a little longer.
Well said
Balanced replies help everyone.
My 60+years have had a few things stolen, none while camping, tent->pop-up->TT->MH.
That said, I still miss that 74 convertible Red Vette they got when they cut down the fence at GM HQ on West Grand Boulevard Detroit.
Yes I'm a Detroit boy.
But my 76 Yellow replacement was assume too.
Moving on was the key!
Old 03-01-2019, 01:50 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fear spawns fear...

Fearful folks become self-fulfilling prophets, IMHO. And trying to reassure them that it "ain't necessarily so" tends to be self-defeating, in my experience. Fearful folks can point to any number of incidents & reports to justify their fears.

"You told me not to worry," they'll say, "and here's (what happened) (what I read) (what they said) (what I saw)" and their indignation overcomes all sense & reason.

At the moment our nation is swamped in FUD concerning the "threat" from the southern border and the invading hordes who want all our stuff. When I was a kid, in the West, the FUD had been about the invading migration of Okies and Arkies who fled the Dust Bowl disaster. We perpetually lived with FUD of the "tramps" and "drunken Indians" and the "migrant Mexicans" and "black people" who dared intrude into our mono-cultured lives.

We've come a long way, in a fearful way. These days we panic over a pandemic of homeless 'drug addicts' and 'social failures' infesting our streets, invading our neighborhoods, even perceived as threats to our camping safety.

So America responds with the classic answer it has always fallen back upon: NOT HERE! and GO AWAY!

(Our local NPR station just reported that during our recent snow storm and cold snap, a neighboring community's officials authorized $1,000 for bus tickets to send homeless people to Seattle shelters. Needless to say, the Seattle authorities weren't happy!)

In my rural newspaper publishing experience, the typical official reaction prompted the County Sheriff to arrange a mandatory ride to the nearest county line.

I had the pleasure of chatting with a retired university anthropologist who walked into my newspaper office one day. I asked, "Tell me, in all these centuries, have we come anywhere at all?"

"Yes," he grinned. "Like a wheel! Round 'n' round."

So color me cynical, but here we go again!

FUD="fear, uncertainty, and doubt"
Graybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:09 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybyrd View Post
Fearful folks become self-fulfilling prophets, IMHO.
There are already enough fear prophets profiting from your fears. The world doesn't need more, and, frankly, you (meaning any of you anywhere) don't need another one, even if it is just you being that one more.

Graybyrd, your post drifted political, and might get edited or deleted, but you made good points that easily apply if looked at as a description of broader problems around fear and not taken too literally.

I spent about six weeks boondocking near the AZ-MX border (easy walking distance to the border in fact) one winter a few years ago and had zero troubles of any kind while there. The dog didn't even find anything to warn me about. Talked to a lot of people that were either on their way to, or returning form, longer term boondocking, snowbirding and camping in MX, and no reports of trouble from those folks either.

Just go thoroughly enjoy it.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:27 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offfishn View Post
Just my thoughts and perspective from someone who, hasn't "been there and done that" yet.

The attachment below is from the FBI.GOV link also provided.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...crime-data.pdf
Time Flies – Gypsy Journal RV Travel Newspaper
It Really Happened! – Gypsy Journal RV Travel Newspaper
Be Careful Out There – Gypsy Journal RV Travel Newspaper
Pack your RV for fun, not fears. No one ever said to ignore that life happens, but that it is rare enough for the vast majority of RVers to be placed low on the list of priorities.

I still replace the batteries in my smoke detectors because that is a far greater concern in an RV than being the victim of a crime, and especially a violent crime.

Statistics give numbers, not stories. If one wants to point at the stats as their reasons to be concerned about a problem, like violent crime, than the stories should matter too. Because a number says that there is violent crime on BLM land doesn't tell you who, what, when, where, how, and why it happened. Could the numbers for murders on BLM land not include a single RVer doing nothing more than just being there? If that is the case, the raw numbers will never tell you that. I know we hate a vacuum of info, but it can be potentially dangerous to try to fill it with things that we imagine could or should be there.

We have no clue as to any of the circumstances around any of the 16 murders and nonnegligent manslaughters that occurred on NPS lands in 2014 from the image that was posted, but I could easily see half of those being some kind of domestic violence, and if you're in your RV minding your own business, there's an excellent chance that even if you were next door to that incident while it was happening there is literally no risk to your physical safety. And just like that, any need that I could feel to want to have a weapon to defend myself against the possibility I am risking being intentionally killed on NPS lands has been cut in half, and so should my level of fear or whatever surrounding that particular concern.

I'm more concerned about being injured by a wild animal or in a vehicle crash than I am another human in my day to day life. Those statistics are easier to understand without back story than a picture of the total crimes on some federally administered lands in '14.

But that's just me, you know? I'm an ex-cop, fully aware of the capacity for people to do awful things, and yet I'm more concerned about vehicles and nature than other humans and their occasional acts of violence. If that makes me weird or somehow blinded, than OK, I'm good with that. It's working for me.

Maybe it will work for any one of you, too.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #23

Mentioning of guns wasn't an issue with me
I grew up around guns////got my first one was I was 10 (single shot .410 so I could hunt birds with my Dad).
Pistols/rifles/shotguns were normal tools growing up
Participated in Competition Shooting

Packed weapons when we went FT
Still have many right now

BUT have NEVER felt to NEED to draw/use one in protection of myself/loved ones....YET!

I was bothered by the 'low income' statement.
Just because some folks are at one end of the financial spectrum has NOTHING to do with wether they are low life scum or not.

Some of the best folks we meet when FTng....ones that would step up to help, go out of there way to lend a hand were those folks that for whatever reason were in the 'low income' category.
AND the most honest

I never had anything stolen in all my years of camping/FTng (since 1960's) except for some beers from a cooler -----course it was a weekend and lots of teenagers were out/about.

I have been more concerned with the Wally Dockers----those they 'stealth camp/look for hand-outs.....then any CG
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:11 PM   #24

I've been camping since I was knee-high to a grasshopper, and that was almost 70 years ago. Never had anything stolen. I have had a few times when the hairs on my neck started to warn me of danger. Once when when a couple in a TT a few spots over from us started to yell at each other, screaming is more like it, and then I heard what sounded like gun shots. Next thing I saw was a naked woman fly out the door with assistance from a large foot firmly planted on her back. She hit the ground got up and ran. I called 911. Before the next morning, that TT was gone.

But in general I don't worry about people causing trouble. Camping is a peaceful time.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Wally Dockers----those they 'stealth camp/look for hand-outs.....then any CG
Wally Dockers ????
Who or What might they be ?
Old 03-01-2019, 06:06 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Wally-dockers are folks that seem to be living out at least spending a lot of time in their vehicles in the Walmart parking lot.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Wally-dockers are folks that seem to be living out at least spending a lot of time in their vehicles in the Walmart parking lot.
LOL

Isn't Walmart curtailing over-night camping in their parking lots???
Old 03-01-2019, 07:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offfishn View Post
LOL

Isn't Walmart curtailing over-night camping in their parking lots???

That would be due to City/Town Ordinances being passed.
No Overnight Parking
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip, safety