Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2019, 09:45 PM   #29

1BigMess - Thank you! Awesome thinking!!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2019, 10:33 PM   #30

We've done about 50 nights a year of boondocking in remote places for the last 14 years. No problems with security at all.

Yes, there are some criminals in the world, but (logically) they tend to stay where victims are plentiful. Not way out in the middle of nowhere.
profdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:06 AM   #31

I've not done a lot of boondocking yet, but in younger years we spent a lot of summer vacations backpacking the AT, CDT, NCT and others, left our vehicles parked at trailheads for days, campsites when we would go exploring would be left unattended(hard to lock a backpacking tent) and never had anything taken/vandalized. the DW was concerned about it the first time or 2, but after that, didn't even think about it. Myself, I would be much more concerned about the big city, although I can say we spent a week in D.C. doing a lot of walking, would get back to the parking lot and our van was the lonely vehicle under the light, (after the first day, the attendant saved us spot and moved the cone and motioned us into it). I can understand how someone new might be concerned, but don't let it stop you enjoying your life.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:30 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tightwadted mention of backpacking brought back memories of several break-ins......by bears.

If you are in an area that says there are bears around do NOT leave food in your car/truck/RV.

I've seen bears bust out the back windows of several cars to get food.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:44 AM   #33

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I've seen those videos of bears breaking into cars. Scary.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybyrd View Post
Just sayin'... it just ain't like it was before the Okies and Arkies flooded the west followin' the Dust Bowl years, and it was all downhill from there. (Ever see "Deliverance"? Well, our "out west" version will really curl yer hair!)
now ya'll are flooded with Californians

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdavet View Post
issues at government run parks.
what are government run parks
Old 03-02-2019, 01:58 PM   #35

As a retired law enforcement officer, I plan for the absolute worst case scenario. However, I don't let it get in the way of having a good time. I watch what is going on around me. If something were to look really questionable when I pull in, I would leave. I have never left a campground yet.
I put my stuff away at night. I lock my doors when we are gone and at night. My wife and I love walking around the campgrounds at sunrise and sunset. Never had a problem.
I traveled solo by motorcycle for 15 years before meeting the lady that lets me live here. Didn't worry about it then either.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:11 AM   #36

Coastal Campers
Security is your concern, not safety, from what you've described.
You'll probably have a greater chance of theft at your travel stops than in the campground. Our nice clean and shiny RVs are a BIG flash-of-cash to folks in need along the highways.
Be safe with your firearms. Don't get yourself in trouble with the law.
Roadyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:40 AM   #37

Mid Atlantic Campers
To the OP I will ignore all the blanket remarks about society in general and say this. You are considering a completely new lifestyle from where you are now. Please don't carry all those preconceived ideas with you. Try to enjoy this great country and it's people. Relax but as others have say stay vigilant. A great man man once said " The only thing to fear is fear itself"
Old 03-03-2019, 07:29 AM   #38

[Mod Edit]

Thanks and I agree.
Use the best tools you have, for any situation.

I hadn't thought much about the RV "Safety" issue, until the other day when I read the OP' question and the responses. It peaked my interests and then I started looking for data.

But growing up in the Detroit area, I've learned to be cognoscent of my surroundings and leave when I get bad vibes.

It never stopped me from going ANYWHERE (it may have stopped me from staying a few places) and don't plan on it stopping me now.

Later...
Offfishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:57 AM   #39
lug

Quote:
Originally Posted by cln56 View Post
We will begin camping and boondocking in a few weeks in our brand new tiffin, we are concerned with safety especially while boondocking, would really appreciate pointers on this subject, we will have 2 licensed handguns, from what I’ve read about SOME campgrounds there are some low income families living in campgrounds & theft can be an issue. We would prefer to be in state, county, national parks, COE etc than private campgrounds thx
Congratulations on the new Tiffin! Traveling with firearms isn't a big deal but you must be mindful of federal and state laws along with park regulations. I'd find out if there are nearby ranges to do some plinking.

I wouldn't worry about the low income families being a source of thieves. Unfortunately thieves prey upon the low income families since most are viewed as easy targets. A thief can show up in a high end suit or dirty jeans and a t-shirt.

If the park or campsite looks like a landfill then due diligence says move along, otherwise go in and set up camp. Pick up and put away your stuff if you're done using it. Locks keep honest people honest so use them.

Happy camping!
lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:21 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lug View Post
Congratulations on the new Tiffin! Traveling with firearms isn't a big deal but you must be mindful of federal and state laws along with park regulations. I'd find out if there are nearby ranges to do some plinking.

I wouldn't worry about the low income families being a source of thieves. Unfortunately thieves prey upon the low income families since most are viewed as easy targets. A thief can show up in a high end suit or dirty jeans and a t-shirt.

If the park or campsite looks like a landfill then due diligence says move along, otherwise go in and set up camp. Pick up and put away your stuff if you're done using it. Locks keep honest people honest so use them.

Happy camping!
Well said
Offfishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:38 PM   #41

Get a dog. Great company, great reminder to go for a walk, great burglar alarm and deterrent. Not to mention a great deterrent against the most common camp robbers of all, raccoons and other vermin.
michaeln416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by cln56 View Post
we will have 2 licensed handguns, from what I’ve read about SOME campgrounds there are some low income families living in campgrounds & theft can be an issue
I haven't read every post here and so this may have been said, but a couple quick notes:

1. You probably wouldn't be found justified using lethal force over property
2. Even if you were ruled justified, you WOULD get sued in civil court, and lose
3. Handguns will exclude any travel in Canada
4. Less than lethal is nearly always a better choice, and safer
5. Regardless of your state of mind now, you would probably regret shooting someone over a bicycle or BBQ
6. Prevention is much more pleasant than confrontations and altercations
7. Brandishing to protect property would aslo be a very poor choice of action easily leading to worse outcomes
8. If you feel you need to arm yourself, a shotgun would be a better choice for many reasons, and you can take it into Canada if you want.
9. Strike up a conversation, offer a beverage, ask some questions - you might even enjoy associating with folks of differing socio-economic status.
10. Limit generator time, turn off the porch light at night, think about your impact in the area (music, outdoor TV, barking dogs, etc), and be a good neighbor.

Chances are there will be times when you roll in with your big new class A and those low income types wil roll their eyes and say "there goes the neighborhood".

Just my .02 worth...Cheers!
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip, safety