RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:06 AM   #1
IT Professional

Sandy / Soft Ground trick?

OK, so it's time to put the big 5er in the backyard. Can't make the tight corner on the driveway, but the ground is way too soft this time of year to drive over...

I thought of Marston Mats, but couldn't find any available any more. Got to be a modern substitute, right?
Bingo!
I found an outfit a hundred miles away that makes Fiberglas mats in various sizes. They also can be connected for a runway-sized area, but the ones I got are 32"x8', rated at 30k pounds, and just right for crossing that 20 foot patch of ground I otherwise sink into. Now I'm deciding if I want to keep them with me on the road for potential applications.
Have you ever gotten into a place you wished you had something like that?

2014 Coachmen Chaparral 327RLKS
bbsguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2020, 10:32 AM   #2

Sugar sand in Florida.

Spent five hours digging and dragging truck and trailer out of a relative's yard. The last two hours were moving and laying any piece of board we could find and orange levelers, backing up 10 inches at a time.

If they stack easy in my pass through and don't add to much weight I would be interested in a set.

ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #3
IT Professional

Keep 'em handy?

45# each, 96" long: They're only about 3/8 of an inch thick, so stacking some in the pass through wouldn't be bad. I know that to put them in my pass through I will need to trim them down a couple of inches in length, but that seems like a pretty good compromise.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:26 PM   #4

Wish I had known these tricks before I drove onto a place in my yard near the woods to drain my water tanks. Too soft. Sank to rear axles. Cost me $100 to get it towed out. Luckily didnt destroy anything.
Great learning experience lol.
bpakah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:40 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Divingbiker Send a message via Yahoo to Divingbiker
How much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsguru View Post
OK, so it's time to put the big 5er in the backyard. Can't make the tight corner on the driveway, but the ground is way too soft this time of year to drive over...

I thought of Marston Mats, but couldn't find any available any more. Got to be a modern substitute, right?
Bingo!
I found an outfit a hundred miles away that makes Fiberglas mats in various sizes. They also can be connected for a runway-sized area, but the ones I got are 32"x8', rated at 30k pounds, and just right for crossing that 20 foot patch of ground I otherwise sink into. Now I'm deciding if I want to keep them with me on the road for potential applications.
Have you ever gotten into a place you wished you had something like that?
This sounds interesting. I see that they are offered in different widths. I think you made a good decision to go with the 32" width.

How much are these mats each?
How many did you buy?
Old 02-15-2020, 07:02 PM   #6
IT Professional

Cost & Source

The ones I got from GFI Inc in Harrison, AR were 32"x96". List price is just over $100 each. They're rated for 30,000 lbs, but I don't know how to interpret that.

What I can say for sure is that a row of those on each side got my 16000# 5er and Dually across my very wet yard without sinking in at all, where walking across the same ground saw my boots sink into the mud 3"!
Old 02-15-2020, 07:21 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes, tow co did some $4,500 damage to rig. Their answer "so sue me". Coach Net won't help either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190519_103735.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	275241   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190519_115136.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	275242  

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:36 AM   #8

I have seen dump trucks use 3/4 sheets of plywood to get across a muddy construction site. Get 3 or 4 of them and keep walking them forward as you drive. I use them for very large excavators that sink down into the mud above the tracks and have no traction to go up a hill bc the cab is hitting against the mud. both would be comparable in weight to your rig.