Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2021, 12:59 PM   #1

Security and boondocking

Hello,
I'm a young person who is planning to boondock in a Country Coach in Florida soon. But I'll be working a job, so I'll be away from my motorhome 6 hours a day. I'm worried about burglary and theft.

How does the community deal with this if your rig is unattended?
WolfCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2021, 01:05 PM   #2

Boondockers don't typically spend all day at their RV. Six hours isn't a long time to be away. We've never had issues on national forest lands or BLM lands.

Where, exactly, will you be staying? Is it close to town? Is it a popular place where others would be driving through or staying?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:03 PM   #3

If you have Internet install a Ring camera, if not you can install a cellular enabled trail camera facing your trailer and get an alert if anyone passes in front of it.
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:01 PM   #4

We network.
Our long-term caravan chums are all over the place in age and income.
Everybody chips-in 24/7/360° to maintain a significant visual presence.
If somebody we do not know -- or looks like somebody we do not want to know -- trespasses near our perimeter, our greeting committee waves and smiles and approaches them as a group.
Taking a lesson from zombie sharks, we project a 'join us for supper...' mixed with a 'Manson family' vibe, and folks usually find someplace else to be real quick.
And 'yes', we enjoy our rehearsals.
Tragically, some of us enjoy our roles a little too much, and trespassers spread the word around, and there goes a big chunk of the fun of boondocking.
Kidding.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:44 PM   #5

Park so passers-by (if any) can see your main door. Keep your shades down, including your windshield cover, leave a radio on inside just loud enough to hear if you're standing next to the window, and put a sign on your door that says "shhh - napping." If you're gone at night, leave a few lights on.

Buy insurance that covers contents. And just avoid leaving expensive stuff inside.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm curious where you will boondock in Florida.

They are pretty strict about that in Florida
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCoach View Post
Hello,
I'm a young person who is planning to boondock in a Country Coach in Florida soon. But I'll be working a job, so I'll be away from my motorhome 6 hours a day. I'm worried about burglary and theft.

How does the community deal with this if your rig is unattended?
No matter what you do it can still happen. Make sure your insurance is paid. I leave my rig all the time while out exploring and have not been violated, yet.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:46 AM   #8

As mentioned just make sure insurance is for replacement cost. Take pictures and put them on a backup drive or thumb drive and keep it with you, make sure those are protected with some sort of password incase someone breaks in to your car or steals your purse or man bag. If you pull in somewhere and it seems ify move on. 'Or' beark out the credit card and get a paid spot in an rv park. There are no guarantees in life.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Boondockers don't typically spend all day at their RV. Six hours isn't a long time to be away. We've never had issues on national forest lands or BLM lands.

Where, exactly, will you be staying? Is it close to town? Is it a popular place where others would be driving through or staying?
Hm, really? That gives me peace of mind.

Matanzas State Forest. But I don't know exactly where yet.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Park so passers-by (if any) can see your main door. Keep your shades down, including your windshield cover, leave a radio on inside just loud enough to hear if you're standing next to the window, and put a sign on your door that says "shhh - napping." If you're gone at night, leave a few lights on.

Buy insurance that covers contents. And just avoid leaving expensive stuff inside.
Wouldn't a secluded area be more secure so someone wouldn't stumble upon it? Oh, I'd never be gone at night usually.

I would take my MacBook to work.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'm curious where you will boondock in Florida.

They are pretty strict about that in Florida
I want to boondock at Matanzas State Forest.

Hmmm...there may be a way.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
No matter what you do it can still happen. Make sure your insurance is paid. I leave my rig all the time while out exploring and have not been violated, yet.
Dang...yeah. I would purchase quality insurance and keep anything irreplaceable (personal data on hard drives, journals, etc.) off site at a family member's home in a reinforced safe.

But crime is much higher in urban areas though, right? I've taken many vacations to remote areas in the Appalachian Mountains, and the only burglary that was ever worried about was bears, LOL.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinerant1 View Post
As mentioned just make sure insurance is for replacement cost. Take pictures and put them on a backup drive or thumb drive and keep it with you, make sure those are protected with some sort of password incase someone breaks in to your car or steals your purse or man bag. If you pull in somewhere and it seems ify move on. 'Or' beark out the credit card and get a paid spot in an rv park. There are no guarantees in life.
Yes. I'll have to research that.
True, but I've lived in a large city (1 million people) all my life, and crime is painfully obvious there. Homeless people, urban sprawl, you name it.
When I vacationed in the Blue Ridge Mountains, bears, flooding, and insects became the primary worries.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:14 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Something you need to keep in mind is to ensure the RV looks occupied and not abandoned. Move things around each day as much as you can. Don’t leave your awning out unless you’re able to secure them from the weather and keep in mind it’s Florida, the weather can change multiple times each day. A couple of cheap camp chairs could be useful to help you change the look of your campsite. Just figured out a way to help them stay where you put them.
Berryfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondock, boondocking