Originally Posted by kellylipp
Nice looking install. Very clean. Down the vent stack? Hmmm. I hadn't thought of that but when I was drilling down next to mine I managed to penetrate the stack at the top and actually snaked the wired down into it before I realized I'd made that mistake. Nice tight grommet at the bottom to keep the gasses out makes sense. And no hole drilled in the roof. I suppose the insulation on the wire won't deteriorate over time as there really isn't anything that toxic. Hmmmm. I think I might like that...
Too bad about the limitation on the wire size from CC to batteries. It's there where a problem (not a problem, but less efficiency than you want) will be. But it looks like that's only a couple of feet at most so maybe no biggie...
Are you able to adjust the output voltage on the CC to something like 14.8V for bulk charge? That's what you want to ensure full charge on the batteries.
Father's day is this weekend. Maybe someone will buy you the Trimetric! You will know more about your world with that. But you are probably correct: this dog will hunt!
One more thing: in the interest of demonstrating how easy this is, please give us some idea how much time you spent doing the install. And perhaps you total cost.
Thanks, I know you had fun!
I have about a grand into it with a 800w samlex modified inverter. I could have done it cheaper, 6 hours for install. About $4.34/watt including all hardware and the inverter. I bought the AmSolar Go100 kit, which I am regretting a little, because they sell the panel for $189 vs. the $300 I spent on the kit (wire/mounts/etc.).
Looking back, I would much rather have had the GrapeSolar panel (which is what AmSolar sent) with the MC4 connectors, much easier to deal with in my opinion than the splicing they prepped the panel with. I could have saved $100 on the 100w panel.
Right now, if I was to do it over, I would buy two GrapeSolar 100w panels at $189 ea. and a $45 Sunsaver charger. Add a couple hundred for wire/parts/fuses/crimps/screws/sealer/ties/etc. You can do a 200w system for about $700-&750 with shipping costs etc. For another $200 you can add a Trimetric meter. I only exceeded this by a couple hundred with the inverter, but still, I'm a little disappointed in my lack of efficiency, I could have had the Trimetric for the additional cost of the Sunsaver Duo meter and the AmSolar panel kit.
I think the Sunsaver Duo is able to be connected to PC and adjusted...I may look into that.
The fuse I bought at Walmart in the automotive speaker dept for $11.
I can shorten some of the wires a little, and based on my calculations, can add another 100w panel and still have 2.7% drop from array to battery. Right now I am at about 1.85%. My system/wire will max out at three panels and about 18.5 watts, anything over that will be over 3%. Anyway, 230 watts is way more than I needed, I would have been happy with one 130w panel.
I guess I could buy a couple more fuses and use them right after the charge controller as splices, they take up to #4 gauge wire, I can then use my #4 through wall to battery....$22 more dollars for #4 to battery, I may do this, I will have to drill my hole larger.