Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2015, 06:50 AM   #1

Solar Charge Controller Sizing

I have a Renogy 100w suitcase portable system with a 10 amp PMW controller fastened to the back of the panel. I am thinking of moving the controller near the battery bank and using longer cable from the panels to the controller so I will have more flexibility in placement. The panels put out 6.17 amps. If I were to get a second 100w suitcase set without controller and combine the panels, what are the implications of using the 10a controller versus getting a 30 amp controller?
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2015, 07:57 AM   #2

If and when your 10A controller gets to the 10A max from the two panels it will die and you will need to buy the 30A controller. I would not think that any damage will occur to the panels unless you can not replace the controller because it is as you said, 'built in'. Be sure to use cable heavy enough to support the combined 10-12 amps combined current of the two panels for the new longer length you spoke of. Never skimp on the cable as you just loose too much of your power. I would try using the 10A controller unless it is enclosed in the rig and could cause a fire hazard if/when it dies from the over current if the two panels kill it. Note that the second panel needs to closely match the original panel's output voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
I have a Renogy 100w suitcase portable system with a 10 amp PMW controller fastened to the back of the panel. I am thinking of moving the controller near the battery bank and using longer cable from the panels to the controller so I will have more flexibility in placement. The panels put out 6.17 amps. If I were to get a second 100w suitcase set without controller and combine the panels, what are the implications of using the 10a controller versus getting a 30 amp controller?
Old 02-04-2015, 08:49 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 6.17a is measured or in the spec? The peak spec I would think. Which is when optimally positioned with optimal sun. Do you place them as such, have them laid flat, or other? This impacts the actual output of the panel.

As for the controller does it have any headroom in the 10a rating or capability for handling over current?

These factors impact whether you are actually exceeding, or able to exceed, the 10a rating of the controller.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:18 AM   #4

I was just thinking ahead as I haven't done anything other than purchase the 100W suitcase last summer, but do plan to put the or a controller in the RV close to the battery bank so I can use longer cable with minimal loss. I could just do it with the 10a for now, and if/when I get a matching set of panels, get a 30a to replace the 10a. I was just exploring whether I need to do that and it sounds as though I should. Or I could just get a 30a controller now so I only have to do the installation once.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:40 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tednruthy View Post
If and when your 10A controller gets to the 10A max from the two panels it will die...
oh really? where did you get that? I heard numerous times there is no such a thing that the panel capacity is too big.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:55 PM   #6

Ok, where did you hear it, is it printed somewhere?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Ok, where did you hear it, is it printed somewhere?
i read a number of posts on this topic, and i personally talked with a solar pro...
yes, here is the one printed right here

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f56/such-...er-228725.html
Old 02-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #8

I did read about the Morningstar MPPT controller, that stated you could input more then the max watts, but with no gain in max output.

That does not mean all controllers will handle any amount of input. And if they did, they would still limit the output to their rated amps, or burn up.

I designed a 675 watts solar system, why would I run them thru a lower amp output controller, then they are capable of producing?

Just me thinking
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:13 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I did read about the Morningstar MPPT controller, that stated you could input more then the max watts, but with no gain in max output.

That does not mean all controllers will handle any amount of input. And if they did, they would still limit the output to their rated amps, or burn up.

I designed a 675 watts solar system, why would I run them thru a lower amp output controller, then they are capable of producing?

Just me thinking

If the 675w system is spec'ed at max 675w and installed such that the max is not realized (for example laid flat rather than tilted on a Motorhome roof) a controller capable of handling the full 675w is not a requirement.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #10

If you have not had much real time usage with the suitcase SP. You might want to use it in a portable method for a period of time.

I've seen a few people with portable, easy to setup and pack away SP's, retain these for usage while in the shade of trees. You might consider adding a few SP's that are permanently mounted, and add a controller to feed these down to the battery. Then retain the suitcase SP for times when your in the shade.

When buying components (cables, controllers, etc.) I'm in the camp that believes in a reasonable amount of headroom in design, for the addition of more SP's if ever desired. Figure out what you need to support what you're installing, and then bump up to allow for more future capacity.

Best of luck to you on whatever way you go!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Quote:

Just me thinking
i was not against the statement of limiting output nor why people would do it knowing that wouldn't generate gain... but you never know, for I was one at a time that I used a smaller capacity controller I was having before I bought a bigger one. the post stated "it will die", apparently that is not true and can not be backed up by reality. we surely don't want to leave a misleading info on an open board which could be read by new comers for generations.

happy trails...
Old 02-06-2015, 08:37 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Most of the higher end controllers protect themselves from over input. At this level of controller this might not be the case. The risk is burning up the existing controller. A phone call to the manufacturer asking what if, would be a good solution.

LEN

Tags
solar