Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #1

solar panel boondocking and microwave ovens

question to those of you who run on solar panels and use your microwave ovens. how long can you run the microwave? how much solar do you have? and how big of an inverter are you using?
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have 615 watts of solar, a 735 AH battery bank and 3000 watt inverter.
The microwave is 1500 watts, so that is quite a draw in the battery bank.
If we attempt to run the microwave over 3 minutes the AGS will start the genny. I have never tried the microwave with the AGS turned off for fear of harming the batteries.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The microwave draws from the batteries, so you will be limited by your battery capacity, not your solar (the solar charging is way too slow to keep up). We have 440 amp hours of batteries and our microwave will draw around 200 amps when it's running at full power, so I guess theoretically we could run it an hour on full before hitting 50% on the batteries.

In reality however the big draw on the batteries pulls down the voltage (you'll see it drop big time when you turn it on) so that will cause you to draw below 12V pretty quickly, at least while the microwave is on. This can happen after only a few minutes of use. When you turn off the microwave the voltage will recover, but you'll see below 12 while the machine is running (and if you have auto-gen start on you RV that will cause your genny to start-up). We usually only run it for a few mins at a time.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:30 AM   #4

I've got 1200 watts on the roof which is overkill to many people but personally, I want my battery bank to be full prior to noon, even if I am using the washer and watching Television while using my laptop via my satt internet, and that goes for winter too.

My batt bank is based on my desire to use only 20% during a normal day's usage which includes maybe ten minutes of Microwave use in the evening after sun down, but I did opt for a 900 watt Microwave.

While I am of the belief that it's not really possible to have too many solar panels, that's not the case of battery's as I like my just enough batt bank to be full in drizzly weather.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #5

I have 400 watts on the roof. 450 amps of batteries ( 4 - 6 volt T-105). A 2000 watt inverter. A 1000 watt microwave oven. I usually do not run the oven for more than 20 minutes at a time to heat up supper. I do run my vacuum for up to one hour at a time. I do not have or want a generator.

All RV'ers should have an accurate battery monitor such as a Trimetric.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:03 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralper View Post
I have 400 watts on the roof. 450 amps of batteries ( 4 - 6 volt T-105). A 2000 watt inverter. A 1000 watt microwave oven. I usually do not run the oven for more than 20 minutes at a time to heat up supper. I do run my vacuum for up to one hour at a time. I do not have or want a generator.

All RV'ers should have an accurate battery monitor such as a Trimetric.

X2-there are usually other alternatives. We do use the toaster, wife dries hair and one cup coffee maker. All this plus tv and various chargers. I could probably get by with running the microwave for 1 minute or so at about 2:00 Pm when batteries are charged and have good sun.
I do carry a Honda 2000 generator but only use it when cloudy for several days or to duty cycle. Spent May thru Nov in Utah area and never used the generator.

Tags
boondocking, solar