Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2014, 11:16 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Solar Power - Generator - Inverter Question

I have a Go Power Solar System (2 x 160w solar panels=320w total, 1500w pure sine inverter, transfer switch, and controller) installed on my motorhome. Being new to an RV solar system, I have a question.

If I want to start my generator, is it okay to leave the inverter on or do I have to turn it off before I start the generator? I obviously do not want to damage the inverter when I start the generator.

I am under the impression that it will not harm the inverter and the transfer switch will switch from solar to the generator for power (basically bypassing the inverter). Once I stop the generator, the solar system/inverter will kick back in and supply the power I need.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Still trying to learn the whole process.

Thanks
John
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2014, 06:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
I have a Go Power Solar System (2 x 160w solar panels=320w total, 1500w pure sine inverter, transfer switch, and controller) installed on my motorhome.
Were they all installed at the same as a system or did the transfer switch come with the coach and the solar/inverter system installed later? Is there more than one transfer switch? Normally in motorhomes with generators there is a transfer switch that allows automatic switching of the shore power source. You can get shore power from a power pole at a camp ground or the generator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
If I want to start my generator, is it okay to leave the inverter on or do I have to turn it off before I start the generator? I obviously do not want to damage the inverter when I start the generator.

I am under the impression that it will not harm the inverter and the transfer switch will switch from solar to the generator for power (basically bypassing the inverter). Once I stop the generator, the solar system/inverter will kick back in and supply the power I need.
Did the installer give you this impression? What A/C devices have power when your on inverter? Is it just certain outlets?

The solar system provides DC power and can remain on at all times so should not be part of the equation.

Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:56 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This will be good info to follow. As I also know very little about solar hook up s.
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
Were they all installed at the same as a system or did the transfer switch come with the coach and the solar/inverter system installed later? Is there more than one transfer switch? Normally in motorhomes with generators there is a transfer switch that allows automatic switching of the shore power source. You can get shore power from a power pole at a camp ground or the generator.

Did the installer give you this impression? What A/C devices have power when your on inverter? Is it just certain outlets?

The solar system provides DC power and can remain on at all times so should not be part of the equation.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

The Solar system was added about two months after I purchased the motorhome new. Part of the solar package was a pre-wired transfer switch that is connected to the inverter.

Regarding A/C devices with power, all outlets and devices can run on solar (battery), except the Air Conditioner because of the extreme power demand. The installer told me the Air Conditioner would not work, but I have never tried it.

Thanks
John
Old 03-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
It should work fine with the inverter on. I always turn on my inverter before the generator. Then when I start the generator to make coffee or run the microwave, the TV and satellite receiver don't go off and on. The transfer switch installed with the solar should switch as necessary. My solar transfer switch passes shore power or generator power in the default position and the solar power activates the contactor.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #6

I believe I see what you have now and if correct the answer is yes you can leave the inverter on while starting the generator or plugging into a camp ground.

I believe you have the Solar Elite Charging System (320 watts) which includes their custom GP-TS a prewired and circuit protected version of their TS-30, designed with special features to power your converter/charger only when shore power is available and disconnect your inverters output at the same time.
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
I believe I see what you have now and if correct the answer is yes you can leave the inverter on while starting the generator or plugging into a camp ground.

I believe you have the Solar Elite Charging System (320 watts) which includes their custom GP-TS a prewired and circuit protected version of their TS-30, designed with special features to power your converter/charger only when shore power is available and disconnect your inverters output at the same time.
Hi,

I actually have the weekender package (very similar to the elite) and added the second solar panel (for a total of 320w) about two months later. Both packages have the same transfer switch.

Thanks for the input.

John
Old 03-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
It should work fine with the inverter on. I always turn on my inverter before the generator. Then when I start the generator to make coffee or run the microwave, the TV and satellite receiver don't go off and on. The transfer switch installed with the solar should switch as necessary. My solar transfer switch passes shore power or generator power in the default position and the solar power activates the contactor.
That is pretty much what I thought... Just wanted to make sure.

Thanks
John

Tags
generator, inverter, power, solar