Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
I have a campground and am thinking about adding some "Overnight" hookups that just have electric. You would be more than welcome to use the dump station and showers but the electric only sites would be 10$ less a night.

Any thoughts were about 2 miles off the expressway and have a good business
Myself I think that would be great and I would love to see lots of Campgrounds set up a few sites just for Overniter with a small fee. I think they would get lots of use as even the people who are going to stay for weeks or months someplace still have to travel to get there.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #30

Stay where you need to, but keep in mind that those truckers are usually very tired when they come to the TS with their rig, and if they can't find a spot they may have to try and push on down the road many hours before finding a spot. This is dangerous to the driver and the public should he/she fall asleep at the wheel. Try to find a spot that a tractor trailer would'nt fit.
BuckHardy151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #31

Quote:
I have a campground and am thinking about adding some "Overnight" hookups that just have electric. You would be more than welcome to use the dump station and showers but the electric only sites would be 10$ less a night.

Great idea. They could be very small, pull through sites. Easy in and quick out. We would use it for sure. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
I just came back from a trip that took me about 200 miles into Northern California and was SHOCKED to discover that overnight parking is prohibited at most State "rest stops" along Hwy 101.
My first thought was, "Where on earth do the truckers get their rest????"
I did see a bunch of trucks gathered at a "wide spot" along the highway, but it wasn't even on a
flat stretch! How they could get any sleep at all on that incline is a mystery to me.

As a trailer-toter, I have lots of other options, but truckers sure don't...

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

that is exactly what we need just a safe place to spend the nite for a reasonable fee! We would definitely patronize your kind of CG
Old 09-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #34

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We typically plan our trips carefully and start looking for our next CG around 1pm. Several times, because of problems with our schedule, we've found ourselves on the road late at night. I don't want to disturb others in the CG by showing up at midnight. Plus, most CGs are not set up of arrivals that late and the resulting hassles are just not worth it.

There are lots of small motels with truck parking. If you ask, they will often let you park for a few hours. That kind of an environment sure beats a crowded truck parking lot in my book.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Would never take space away from a trucker. They are at work when in their trucks and I consider Trucks stops to be their offices. Certainly don't want to force a trucker to drive tired, tough enough job as it is. I will stop for fuel but thats it.

Even with a 40' class A, I have way more options for parking than they do.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:55 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
We typically plan our trips carefully and start looking for our next CG around 1pm. Several times, because of problems with our schedule, we've found ourselves on the road late at night. I don't want to disturb others in the CG by showing up at midnight. Plus, most CGs are not set up of arrivals that late and the resulting hassles are just not worth it.

There are lots of small motels with truck parking. If you ask, they will often let you park for a few hours. That kind of an environment sure beats a crowded truck parking lot in my book.
Were up early in the morning rather than late at night but the (LARGE )sign in front of the says "Late nighters find yourself a spot and wer'll get with you in the morning" In 3 years we have only had 1 person leave without paying. So not having someone on duty 24-7 kasn't been a problem.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #37

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
My neighbor told me they drove 20 minutes out of the way to get to a CG, arrived at 8pm, ate, showered, slept and was gone by 8 the next morning. They didn't use it but the CG showers took quarters for hot water. They paid $43 dollars. That's 3.50 an hour. They have a 5th wheel, so now they stay free, unless they need AC.
Which I why I equipped my fiver with an on-board generator. You can use A/C from April to October here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
that is exactly what we need just a safe place to spend the nite for a reasonable fee! We would definitely patronize your kind of CG
i just discovered a new (to me) category of california state parks called ''enroute campsites''. it looks like you park in a regular car parking lot most of the time. you park in the evening, leave by 9 am. most of the parking is $6-8 nightly. there is supposed to be a $1 discount for seniors over 62.
i haven't used one yet so i don't know how well this works.
maybe a forum member who lives near one of these places can check this out and post the results.

Enroute Campsites

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/737/fi..._day%20use.pdf
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:06 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Dont most all FJ's welcome RVers?
IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:07 AM   #40
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Yes and I believe all do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Jeeper View Post

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:41 AM   #41

Ohio has several large well lit areas for RVs at Turnpike service plazas that provide water, electric and dump stations for $15.00/$20.00 a night. We've used them a few times and they're not bad at all.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:56 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Jeeper View Post
Yes and have parking areas just for them. Only problem might be that when you get there the RV parking area can be full. The next choice is with the trucks but we have only done that once because there were lots of empty spots there. We would never take a truck space if the lot was near full since they are working and are required to stop for rest.

When we do stop overnight at a FJ we will buy fuel from them even if it is a little more expensive to thank them for their hospitality.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote