Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2020, 02:18 PM   #1

Staying fit? - Newbie question

Hello, I'm looking the fulltime RV life and would prefer to boondock quite a bit.

I do like to stay active and stay fit, but can see that being somewhat of a challenge on the road. How do you guys manage to stay fit with a lack of equipment?

Also, I always would want to shower after working up quite a sweat. With boondocking, saving water is key... what recommendations would you have to limit water, but take a quick shower after a workout?

Thanks
airick1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2020, 03:17 PM   #2

That's a tough question. A lot of us boondocker's are old geezers that consider exercise walking to the fridge and getting another beer. And how you smell is not all that important because if you're a boondocker your probably out there by yourself, and if you're not by yourself the folks near you don't smell any better than you do.

Taking all that into consideration, as a boondocker myself I would say you could take Navy showers, which is, get wet in the shower, turn off the water, soap up, turn the water back on and rinse off. Or you can take a birdbath by putting some warm water in the sink and washing up that way. Or you can use the various washing sprays and liquids that you rub on and don't rinse off.

Other than that, boondocking and saving water do not go hand-in-hand and require a lot of compromise.

Theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:22 PM   #3

Exercise for full timers can be really easy. Get a mountain bike and start biking. Hiking, running are also good ways. Of course swimming is also popular if your near water.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:35 PM   #4

Sit ups, push ups, running, filling empty milk jugs with sand for weights, Navy shower after. Get creative.

Google exercise in an RV.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:41 PM   #5

Merax Deluxe 71.5 Pounds Adjustable Dial Dumbbell with Weight Plate for Home Gym https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D9CKP3Y Foldable exercise bench https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JL8WGF4
Old 07-22-2020, 05:24 PM   #6

Thanks for the tips... I think Jim says it best in be creative. The foldable bench is an option.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:54 PM   #7

You certainly want a low low flow shower head like these https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rv+shower..._sb_ss_sc_1_14

Which are quite popular.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by airick1010 View Post
Hello, I'm looking the fulltime RV life and would prefer to boondock quite a bit.

I do like to stay active and stay fit, but can see that being somewhat of a challenge on the road. How do you guys manage to stay fit with a lack of equipment?

Also, I always would want to shower after working up quite a sweat. With boondocking, saving water is key... what recommendations would you have to limit water, but take a quick shower after a workout?

Thanks
Whenever I boondock I am always walking around and exploring. That's pretty much all you have to do to stay fit. Explore! If you're worried about muscle building bring some free weights.
gertpacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:48 AM   #9

Been out boondocking for a month now. I take walks, about 2 miles according to my step counter on my phone. I do this every morning cuz my dog says I have to. Still cool in mornings so don’t really sweat much, and more often than not I see Elk and Deer, I bushwhack on my walks so we get to see the wildlife. And like mentioned above, we are by ourselves so the smell is just us.
WeRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:13 PM   #10

I recommend a good set of resistance bands and a suspension trainer. There are often large trees, playground equipment, or vehicle roof racks (I used the suspension trainer on my SUV roof rack) where you can use the suspension trainer. I often wrap a towel around a tree, then a thick resistance band, and do rowing exercises. There are so many options, not to mention calisthenic foundations (push up, pull up, and squat variations). Bands offer great resistance, can be stored easily, and are light weight.

NOSSK twin trainer:
https://nossk.com/nossk-twin-pro-sus...strap-trainer/
Driftless RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftless RV View Post
I recommend a good set of resistance bands and a suspension trainer. There are often large trees, playground equipment, or vehicle roof racks (I used the suspension trainer on my SUV roof rack) where you can use the suspension trainer. I often wrap a towel around a tree, then a thick resistance band, and do rowing exercises. There are so many options, not to mention calisthenic foundations (push up, pull up, and squat variations). Bands offer great resistance, can be stored easily, and are light weight.

NOSSK twin trainer:
https://nossk.com/nossk-twin-pro-sus...strap-trainer/
This, and when you're b'docking you'll be spending a lot of time on bike and foot trails.
Low flow shower head and/ or sponge baths. You'll become an expert of the Navy shower. YOu might find yourself showering less often, as well. After all, you're not around a bunch of other people.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:14 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Hiking and biking are good but if you need more, then you’ll need to bring a set of barbells with you. Get creative and you’ll find you can get a great workout. I put in a pull up bar in my coach. Use it all the time for pull ups and chin ups. Great for the arms.

Don’t worry about the water. Just wet down soap up and rinse off quickly. Shutting off the water after completing each step.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:13 PM   #13

I don’t boondock but can offer this. Resistance bands, pushups, single leg squats and a bike will keep you fit. Shower? Just like i used to do it when i tent camped. Bike water bottle filled with water and a shot of soft soap and a gallon jug of fresh water. Over the head a quick shot of fresh water, then squeeze the bike bottle over the bod and wash. Rinse with the leftover fresh. 1 gallon, 20oz.

Though you boondockers might think a gallon is too much.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
I don’t boondock but can offer this. Resistance bands, pushups, single leg squats and a bike will keep you fit. Shower? Just like i used to do it when i tent camped. Bike water bottle filled with water and a shot of soft soap and a gallon jug of fresh water. Over the head a quick shot of fresh water, then squeeze the bike bottle over the bod and wash. Rinse with the leftover fresh. 1 gallon, 20oz.

Though you boondockers might think a gallon is too much.

This is a good idea! Maybe a gallon is too much, but appreciate the tip.

Tags