Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2020, 05:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper8251 View Post
I love how the guys in the 40ft DP's are bragging about their tank sizes...LOL....

Take your current rig out and fill it with 1/2 the water and see how things go...
That would be a real test on what you can survive on..

How much of your current tanks actually get used and filled up when you are out?

Look at your past habits and usage that would be the way to decide.
The places you are going do they have any sources of water?

We had a TC and used to run partial full and then fill up a 5 gallon jug of water for washing dishes and such from local streams etc...
You're "right on" with your comments above!

The REAL CHALLENGE is to come up with the smallest RV possible for use in intimate drycamping spots when desired - but combined with the largest possible tanks tucked away into that RV.

Tanks sizes for any given size RV are all over over the map. Frankly, I'd never buy some of the RVs that folks wind up with due to tank sizes alone - regardless of other features in those RVs.

We wound up with pretty good tank sizes - in spite of my lack of knowledge at the time - when we bought our 24 foot Class C years ago. Now I realize that there were probably even better tank size choices available at the time from other manufacturers in that same size rig.

To me ... FW/BW/GW/propane tank sizes, coach battery capacity, and equipment/provision storage area sizes for any given RV size ... are the highest priority if one wants the maximum camping style flexibility in any given size RV.

Just as a tip - just recently I replaced all water faucet screw-in end tips in our motorhome with 0.5 gallons per minute water restrictor screw-in end tips. What a difference in fresh water usage ... and we don't notice any less serviceability when using those faucets because the restrictors still spread out the spray in a nice even pattern.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2020, 03:38 PM   #16

We have 80/40/40 tanks. The hold back is black water since we primarily boondock/dispersed camp. We shower outside and dump dish water from pan as permitted.

Black water will last up to 3 weeks. After 8 or so years of RVing in Mexico where the RV parks have septic tanks and there are signs to not put TP down toilet, we do not. TP absorbs a lot of water and this puts a lot of volume into black water tank.

We carry two x 6 gallon water can so we can go to water point and get water. This may be mikes away.

Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:36 PM   #17

When window shopping 5ers just about the top priority is freshwater capacity. This comes from many years of cruising boating. There are no water spigots out on the water & every night was a boondocking night.

When we were doing our serious shopping for a 5er, if it did not have a minimum of 80gal freshwater it got tossed from the maybe list. Our Alpenlite 34RLR can carry 100gal.

Not many builders putting big tanks in units these days. Don't know what they are thinking. Many of us still like to dry camp or go to events where there are no utilities at all. We like to rough it in comfort.
Triangle Drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle Drifter View Post
When window shopping 5ers just about the top priority is freshwater capacity. This comes from many years of cruising boating. There are no water spigots out on the water & every night was a boondocking night.

When we were doing our serious shopping for a 5er, if it did not have a minimum of 80gal freshwater it got tossed from the maybe list. Our Alpenlite 34RLR can carry 100gal.

Not many builders putting big tanks in units these days. Don't know what they are thinking. Many of us still like to dry camp or go to events where there are no utilities at all. We like to rough it in comfort.
I had an Alpenlite 32RK with 100/50/50 back in the day. You're right no one puts tanks in like that anymore. My wife and I would spend a week boondocking and never lacked for showers etc.
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank