RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:28 PM   #1

The real meaning behind boondocking when full time?

I was walking along the rim road of Badlands and thought I could just stay here for a few more weeks, no one checks, no check in or check out, run to town to empty and refill in about 10 days. Why be in a hurry to get to the next spot?

So does boondocking give you the ability to stay, in this case free of charge for an extended time, or just a stop over till you get to the next great place?

I'm not sure where I would fall in that yet since I just started full time, but initially I thought it was a stop over. Now I'm thinking it may be the destination.

rbTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2020, 08:03 PM   #2

Since I consider myself a boondocker and my blog is called the boondork.com I don't know if I can give you any answers, but I can give you some opinions.

Having been a full timer for six years, and boondocking for most of that time I can tell you there's all kinds of different definitions for boondocking and some people even argue over something that meaningless. So to keep down the confusion about what I was doing I called boondocking anytime I'm camped without hookups. That means I'm boondocked in a Walmart parking lot, which is where I will be tomorrow night. I'm boondocked in the national forest. and I'm boondocked in a commercial campground when I'm staying in the drycamping area with no hookups. If I had to write about Wallydocking, and mooch docking, and all the other names for boondocking I would never finish a blog post.

So to me boondocking is not a place, and its not a timeframe, it's living without hookups no matter where or how long you stay. Now the best thing about being a full timer is freedom. I had the freedom to make boondocking whatever I wanted it to be. And you have that same freedom so make up a definition for boondocking that suits you, and don't let anybody talk you out of it.

Theboondork.com

theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:39 PM   #3

To most of us boondocking is staying in the boonies most often on public lands. We did it the majority of our 16 years of full-timing and did it exactly as you mentioned.... stay until you feel an urge to move on or when your tanks get full. Quite often you can stay as long as you want... move to empty the tanks then return. Some national forests do have a time limit though. It's best to check out the rules for the specifics.

Staying in a campground with no hookups is dry camping.

Staying at WalMarts is pavement parking overnight, similar to a truck stop or rest area. It's not meant for multiple nights.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:41 AM   #4

That's how you get the best spot! Stay there until the people in the spot that you want leave Done that in the Nevada Red Rocks last year. I have never been bugged by anyone and the longest I have stayed in any one place was 3 weeks. It was public land. I am not full time yet.
gertpacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:22 PM   #5

It's both a stop and a destination, depending on the situation. We like to differentiate by calling an overnight in a parking lot, lotdocking, staying at a friends place, moochdocking, etc. We think of boondocking the way it was intended, camping out in the boondocks.

We've stayed at some amazing places while out boondocking. Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountains, Valley of the Gods, etc. And we've stayed places that were just quiet places in the middle of nowhere with no one else around that weren't especially pretty or interesting but were amazing nonetheless.

By the way, most public lands do have a stay limit. We've exceeded that limit a few times and usually no one really cares or even checks. But don't be surprised in certain popular locations if they don't enforce the say limit, especially during busy times.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbTN View Post
I was walking along the rim road of Badlands and thought I could just stay here for a few more weeks, no one checks, no check in or check out, run to town to empty and refill in about 10 days. Why be in a hurry to get to the next spot?

So does boondocking give you the ability to stay, in this case free of charge for an extended time, or just a stop over till you get to the next great place?

I'm not sure where I would fall in that yet since I just started full time, but initially I thought it was a stop over. Now I'm thinking it may be the destination.
From an RV'ing perspective, "boondock camping" includes all of the folowing conditions:

1. Camping without hookups.
2. Camping in a remote area.
3. Either paying to camp there or not paying to camp there.
4. Either having a time limit or not havng a time limit as to how long you can camp there.
5. Can be done whether full-time RV camping or part-time RV camping.
6. Can be done on private land or public land.

The definition is that simple.

Can the above conditions be met when camping in a "campground area" or "designated camping area" ... yes.

One of the most remote spots we've ever camped at was way out there in the Oregon Outback ... but there was a firepit there and a roof structure with a picnic table under it there. But it met all six(6) conditions above and was truly "in the boondocks".
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
From an RV'ing perspective, "boondock camping" includes all of the folowing conditions:

1. Camping without hookups.
2. Camping in a remote area.
3. Either paying to camp there or not paying to camp there.
4. Either having a time limit or not havng a time limit as to how long you can camp there.
5. Can be done whether full-time RV camping or part-time RV camping.
6. Can be done on private land or public land.

The definition is that simple.

Can the above conditions be met when camping in a "campground area" or "designated camping area" ... yes.

One of the most remote spots we've ever camped at was way out there in the Oregon Outback ... but there was a firepit there and a roof structure with a picnic table under it there. But it met all six(6) conditions above and was truly "in the boondocks".
Sorry.... have to disagree. Boondocking is not in a structured campground and it's definitely in the boonies. You don't have to pay and there would be no picnic table, etc.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Sorry.... have to disagree. Boondocking is not in a structured campground and it's definitely in the boonies. You don't have to pay and there would be no picnic table, etc.
Try 25 miles north of Plush, Oregon on roads - that you have to travel 7-10 MPH on in a Class C the whole way - to see if that's the boonies or not.

Our "campsite" with the pit and table was on the far side of beyond and is in a clear sky area with spectacular sky views when laying out in a lounge chair.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:56 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
To most of us boondocking is staying in the boonies most often on public lands. We did it the majority of our 16 years of full-timing and did it exactly as you mentioned.... stay until you feel an urge to move on or when your tanks get full. Quite often you can stay as long as you want... move to empty the tanks then return. Some national forests do have a time limit though. It's best to check out the rules for the specifics.

Staying in a campground with no hookups is dry camping.

Staying at WalMarts is pavement parking overnight, similar to a truck stop or rest area. It's not meant for multiple nights.
This is my understanding of boondocking. There can be a fire ring or rustic picnic table But it is definitely free.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:06 PM   #10

Phil, it sounds like you found a very nice spot. Whatever we all call it doesn't matter.... just so we found our perfect spot! Care to tell us the name of your place?

We've also found awesome ones as we boondocked 90% of the time during our 16 years of full-timing. We've been to some of the photo places mentioned in these articles. We could last 2 weeks on our holding tanks and when time to empty we just moved on to another spot. We towed a Jeep so once at our spot we used it to further explore the boonies. Lots of fun and beautiful places!

Here are good resources:

https://freecampsites.net/

https://www.campendium.com/camping/boondocking-101/

https://roadslesstraveled.us/boondocking/

https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/boondock-free-camp

https://rvshare.com/blog/rv-boondock...-need-to-know/
Old 07-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Phil, it sounds like you found a very nice spot. Whatever we all call it doesn't matter.... just so we found our perfect spot! Care to tell us the name of your place?

We've also found awesome ones as we boondocked 90% of the time during our 16 years of full-timing. We've been to some of the photo places mentioned in these articles. We could last 2 weeks on our holding tanks and when time to empty we just moved on to another spot. We towed a Jeep so once at our spot we used it to further explore the boonies. Lots of fun and beautiful places!

Here are good resources:

https://freecampsites.net/

https://www.campendium.com/camping/boondocking-101/

https://roadslesstraveled.us/boondocking/

https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/boondock-free-camp

https://rvshare.com/blog/rv-boondock...-need-to-know/
Thanks a lot for the links above!

The DW and myself are rockhounds (among other interests), so we take our small Class C off highway to out-of-the-way places as required to explore and camp.

The place I mentioned in my post earlier was in Central OR, north of Plush, in the Sunstone collecting area. I don't recall if this outback area is state or federal public land, but it is remote high desert and did have at least one drycamping area with fire rings and a shaded picnic table ... so these type true boondocking places do exist, even though they may have some constructed facilites present.

I suggest checking in at a rockshop in Plush as where you are able to drive and camp out there.

To help understand what boondock camping means: Imagine a relative or friend who owns a large ranch and has set up - way back in the hills far from the ranchhouse - a camping spot with a hand operated well pump and solar panels permanently mounted on a frame. If they invite you to camp out there and use the water and electricity - would that be boondock camping? IMHO I would say "yes".

Another kindof boondock camping example: There is a private hot springs and camping private facility out in the remote rural hill country in Central CA that I recently went to. They have a large solar farm to supply the facilities and camping spots. You're really "out there" when camping at that place - but you are doing it with some facilities present.

IAW, boondock camping is more about a location out in the boonies - versus amount or kind of camping facilities, or cost, or being public/privately owned.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
..... boondock camping is more about a location out in the boonies - versus amount or kind of camping facilities, or cost, or being public/privately owned.
I like that description!
Old 07-01-2020, 04:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbTN View Post

In Utah, yesterday I went to re-up my supplies and was surprised to see the area is full on the way out of the forest (dispersed camping area). Very, very unusual on a Tuesday. But looking closer, they are probably just empty trailers. I didn't see a soul. No trucks. People are parking their rig and then going back home. Probably so they have a camping spot this weekend (4th of July)
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. Lion View Post
In Utah, yesterday I went to re-up my supplies and was surprised to see the area is full on the way out of the forest (dispersed camping area). Very, very unusual on a Tuesday. But looking closer, they are probably just empty trailers. I didn't see a soul. No trucks. People are parking their rig and then going back home. Probably so they have a camping spot this weekend (4th of July)
Oh dang, I never even though of that hahaha! That's so weird and hilarious at the same time!

gertpacu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondock, boondocking, full time