Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2017, 07:44 PM   #1

The Slabs

I thought I posted this earlier but can't find it. Can anyone describe what it's like now? There isn't much current information on the Internet that I can find. I was there 15 years ago briefly but didn't stay. I always thought it would be fun to stay for a while but from what I can tell now there's a problem with drugs and garbage. Don't know if I would want to stay there now.
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2017, 08:38 PM   #2

You may view every thread you began and every forum topic in which you posted a reply by opening your "user CP" at top-left of every webpage on irv2.com. Scroll down the left column of your user CP until you locate subscriptions,-IF you have that feature turned on.
Otherwise use the search feature to the lower left of where it says "Welcome Quimby" on the right side of the top of every page. Go down to advanced search and type in your name where it asks for "user name".

Back to your question; Do an internet search for "the slabs" and you'll find the latest information seems to be from 2015, saying there may be plans for CA to sell the property; some residents may be forming a ruling body to buy some property and clean up the place, some residents resent all these things, etc.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:03 PM   #3

I was in Slab City around February and it was interesting to say the least. Of course there's garbage but not as much as I expected. Saturday night is talent night and I strongly suggest that you don't miss it. It really looks like the place old RVs go to die. Much busier in the winter for obvious reasons. All of the people we met were friendly.
RichH
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Salvation Mountain has been declared a heritage site and
is now receiving funding. A must see at the slabs.

Stay on the main road through to the end, make a left turn
and another left. You will come to a place called East of Jesus.
It is a desert museum made by several artists out of the junk
in the area. It is free to walk through and a very well marked path
makes sure you see all of it.

Certain times of the year you have "groups" or clubs staying out
there. Drive around the whole area and you will be amazed at
what you find.

We make a trip out each year just to see the changes.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:31 PM   #5

We've been stopping at the Slabs off and on since the early 2000's and can say that It's what you make of it. It can be a good experience and form long lasting friendships OR it can be a bad experience. It's a cross between the Wild West & After the Apocalypse, their are lots of really good people and a few bad. Their has always been drugs and many attempts have been made to visit the trash problem. In the winter it has a large snowbird population when they leave the regular population remains. It's a constantly changing place and is a little different each time we visit. As with anywhere Pay Attention to your surroundings, take care of your stuff (don't give a thief an opening), show up with an Open Mind-Don't Pre Judge. A lot of what happens depends on you. Have Fun Live Life to the Fullest.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
Salvation Mountain has been declared a heritage site and
is now receiving funding. A must see at the slabs.
Do you have a link describing this 'heritage site' and its funding? Who took it over - designated as a heritage site by whom?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Do you have a link describing this 'heritage site' and its funding? Who took it over - designated as a heritage site by whom?
I can't find anything "official"; this website seems to explain it well: https://broom03.revolvy.com/topic/Sa...tem_type=topic
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:23 PM   #8

The Slabs......
Haven't thought about that place in dang near 40 yrs.

We used to go out there, dry camp in tents and water ski in the canals
Had a pipe with ring welded to it that was placed in rear truck bed stake pocket.
Ski rope attached to ring. Then with skis in hand one of us would slide down into canal and swim to other side hold ski rope. Other person would then drive truck on road along side of canal.
Time it just right and you would step off onto your skis just as truck roared by pulling ski rope tight.
Ski until next set of canal valving station then do it again on other side.

Oh the fun of single, partying life after getting out of the NAVY===woo hoo!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:18 AM   #9

I've done the Polar Plunge at the canal a couple times and man is that water Cold! Saturday night Music at the Range with Builder Bill is always the highlight of the week. You never know who will show up as it's an open stage. Semi pro music groups (Rock & Roll, Country, Rap), Music Videos and Movies have happened their. I've seen French Acrobatic Touring groups, Fire Dancers and all kinds of ethnic acts/music, plus a lot of Local & Snowbird Talent and Don. We were members of The Oasis Club for several years and ran the Oasis Club Hot Dog stand Saturday night at the Range for a couple years. Truly a Unique Experience.

Tags
abs