Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2023, 03:24 PM   #1

Trojan 6V golf cart batteries, t105 or t605?

We've got a 24-ft no boundaries and occasionally boondock on our trips out west from North Carolina, but most the time we're using hookups in campgrounds here locally, even the state parks have power and water.

But we are going to spend 3 days in Bridger Teton in August boondocking and then later in that 21-day trip we're going to be spending a 3 nights at the Badlands on the bluff. So even though we're just occasionally boondocking I would like to make a good decision on this battery upgrade.

The two interstate RV / Marine batteries died last week in our almost 3-year-old travel trailer and I heard from some folks here to upgrade to golf cart batteries and found a golf cart shop locally with t605 batteries in stock, they're supposed to install them for me Tuesday in fact, but they can order the t105 as early as next Thursday having them at the shop he said. I had only heard the name Trojan here so had no idea about the differences in the batteries for my application.

One consideration I don't have a ton of room up front as you can see from the picture due to the curvature of the front of our camper and the two battery boxes which are in a tray that cannot be moved, it's welded to the tongue, and just in front of that is our weight distribution hitch hardware so we don't really have anywhere to move things from what I can see. So if one of these two batteries would offer a better fitment maybe that would be a consideration,

I've never seen either in person. But just wanted to mention that our two 12 volt wet interstate batteries were a tight fit with the lids on the battery boxes as seen below. thanks for any thoughts you may have on these two batteries and which would be better for our application.

We have a onboard factory installed solar system to help charge them, and are hoping to be able to go three or four nights with the furnace running. That's really our main goal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230117_144424.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	384718   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230117_235531.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	384719  

Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2023, 05:59 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Looking at the detailed specs for the T-605 and the T-105 they are the same dimensions and weight but the T-105 has a few more amp hours with the 20-hour rate of 225 vs the T-605 at 210. I have a pair of the T-125's which are also the same dimension but weigh 4lbs more and have 240 amp hours. I installed them using a Century Plastics Dual GC2 battery box and they had to be angled slightly to drop into the box.

I had the same Interstates come with our ORV. As I recall they are only 64 amp hours each and were one of the first things I swapped out. I keep them maintained and they come along in the bed of the truck as a little insurance on the off chance that something happens to one of the T-125's which would leave us without any 12v power.

I can tell you that with the T-125 I have no problem going several days to a week or more with just our 200 watt solar suitcase (weather permitting of course). I do carry a 2000 watt inverter generator and have a 30 amp DC-DC charger installed for improved charging from the tow vehicle. I think given your stated usage either of those will work fine.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:03 PM   #3

Trojans are considered the best by a lot of people.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:29 PM   #4

…. I’d vote for VMAX XTR6-235 AGM Batteries from Amazon. AGM batteries require NO maintenance ( no adding water ), NO off gassing acid fumes, proven technology, last longer, ….. And if you don’t already have some solar panels that would be the frosting on the cake….
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 08:31 PM   #5

I appreciate your thoughts, thank you for taking the time to share
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 08:54 PM   #6

don't by Costco Interstate 6v batteries

I sold and installed batteries in boats for 25 years. Costco has sold a 6volt T105 sized battery made by Interstate. Do not buy them. They are inexpensive and fail after a couple of years. Not sure if I am right? Read the reviews.. Shame on Costco, who usually has great products.
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:31 PM   #7

In my last RV I had Trojan T-105 and they did exactly what they claimed. They were ~6 years old when I sold that unit.

With that said I will not be using any wet cell batteries again. I like to do the least amount of maintenance possible. Also in my case the batteries were mounted along the frame in a semi enclosed area. The off gassing caused a lot of rusting in that area.

In my current unit I have 6 of the 225 amp AGM VMAX batteries. We mostly boondock. We are just starting year 5 on them.

I found the best price was direct from VMAX.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 05:13 PM   #8

Older threads on T105 vs other size, other options

Comparison you mentioned has been around for awhile, you can search & find the previous threads, both on this forum & others.

Take a look at Lifeline AGM batteries. In their 6-volt lineup there are three golf-cart batteries with approximately the same footprint. What is different is capacity, weight, height. We switched from Lifeline 4CT to the super-sized L16T. That doubled our capacity, with nearly the same footprint. The L16T is twice as tall & twice as heavy as the 4CT
Rocky ARV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky ARV View Post
Comparison you mentioned has been around for awhile, you can search & find the previous threads, both on this forum & others.

Take a look at Lifeline AGM batteries. In their 6-volt lineup there are three golf-cart batteries with approximately the same footprint. What is different is capacity, weight, height. We switched from Lifeline 4CT to the super-sized L16T. That doubled our capacity, with nearly the same footprint. The L16T is twice as tall & twice as heavy as the 4CT
Hi, no offense of course an L16 doubles everything because they are literally a double battery turned sideways. No mystery and they are really difficult for a person to handle. Same exact weight as a flooded battery, good choice as long as you have the room.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 01:00 PM   #10

Size matters. Physical size and amps size. I'd go with higher amps cause...why not? I actually use Deka 6v 235ah batteries and they are the same physical size and the 205,210 and 220 size. Deka is the larges manufacturer of flooded batteries in the world(US for sure) and are made in the USA.
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 01:43 PM   #11

Deka actually made by East Penn who makes Duracell (Sams Club), Alliance (Freightliner), NAPA as well as others. I have many of their battys and feel they are a good value and have served me very well.
Just replaced 2 Alluance vhassis battys that were over 10 yrs old. Still started but had lost about 60% of CCA so noticed some weakness in cold WX.
EP 8D AGMs starting their 9th season as boat house bank and thruster/ start bank. Still holding V in 6 mo storage w/o power avail.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries